Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #1276
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
K1W1 - You are very handy with that camera. Thanks!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:56 AM   #1277
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,834
Good on you Davo, have a bloody good ride tomorrow.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 AM   #1278
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Once upon a time I owned a 2003 BMW F650Dakar, a '93 KLR650, a 2006 or 7 Husky 610, and most recently an '09 KLR650. All of them had their issues. In terms of bang for the buck, and the "cottage industry" of accessories make the KLR the preferred bike. When Terra hit the news, it seemed to be the light weight high power solution to my stodgy heavy KLR. Sadly.....I think it missed the mark. Closely comparing VERY good side-by-side data by MCN (Motorcycle consumer news), the Husky BMW's 10 extra horsepower fades to 5. Next the light weight of the Husky is not there...both bikes were weighted "wet" full of gas by MCN and the KLR came in heavier by less than 30#...BUT it had 2.5 more gallons of fuel...at 6.5 #/gallon...that's 16.25 pounds NET that the KLR is heavier....extra weight the KLR carries is the wonderful fairing that provides wind and weather protection missing on the Husky, and a much more robust rack for luggage. An aftermarket muffler, and one of the super light batteries could bring the net weight differential between Terra and KLR down to ZERO. I'm trying very hard to not bash either bike or brand, only suggesting "buyer beware" and look closely. I'm not prepared to jump from KLR to Terra, especially since my oil burning KLR is now a sweet running 685, but hope springs eternal for a KLR700 with EFI in '14 or '15.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #1279
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,386
I can see some logic to your argument, but I think you're minimizing the differences on the KLR. The Terra has a substantial HP difference over the KLR (48 RWHp vs 34HP - not sure if that is rear wheel or not), better brakes, and a better suspension. While the weight difference isn't huge, it still puts out A LOT more HP in a lighter bike. I would assume it also carries the weight lower given the tank setup, but not sure.

You can't compare a stock Terra versus a modified KLR, at least not unless you start factoring in time and money. You could just as easily change the exhaust on the Terra or add a $100 windscreen. And while the KLR has better range, I'd be more than content with the Terra's 200+ mile range and wouldn't feel the need to augment it.

Personally, if we're paying MSRP, I couldn't fathom buying a KLR. And I am by no means a KLR hater. But that being said, how many people pay MSRP for a KLR. A couple years back places were selling leftover models for $3999. I think that is the stronger argument for the KLR - actual cost. At $500, I think the Terra is the hands down winner. But when that cost starts looking like $2000+, the KLR is very compelling.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #1280
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Ed@Ford
If everybody purchased motorcycles based solely on practical reasons then the world (and the motorcycle industry) would be a very boring place. We all have different tastes and different reasons and different finances. I know a KLR is a good bike, I know that but I wouldn't buy one if they were the last motorcycle left in the world there is just something about them that does not appeal in any way to me. You obviously think different that's great that's your prerogative. Lets just agree to disagree and get on with life.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #1281
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Ed@Ford
If everybody purchased motorcycles based solely on practical reasons then the world (and the motorcycle industry) would be a very boring place. We all have different tastes and different reasons and different finances. I know a KLR is a good bike, I know that but I wouldn't buy one if they were the last motorcycle left in the world there is just something about them that does not appeal in any way to me. You obviously think different that's great that's your prerogative. Lets just agree to disagree and get on with life.
I'm only suggesting to those considering a Terra to look closely and weigh the alternatives, based on their needs and finances. After almost a year and a half of great expectations, to me the Terra was a letdown. Agreeing to disagree is totally acceptable.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #1282
Trail Boss
World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
...the Husky BMW's 10 extra horsepower fades to 5.
True. If a rider were trying to decide between a Sertao and a Terra, then 5 hp is probably less significant a factor in deciding between the two. However, for anyone deciding between a Terra and one of the Japanese bikes (KLR, DR, or XRL) then the difference is substantial (mid 30s versus high 40s - the Terra has around 33% more hp). Heck, even a KLR 685 puts outs substantially less hp than a stock Terra.

Quote:
Next the light weight of the Husky is not there...both bikes were weighted "wet" full of gas by MCN and the KLR came in heavier by less than 30#...BUT it had 2.5 more gallons of fuel...at 6.5 #/gallon...that's 16.25 pounds NET that the KLR is heavier....extra weight the KLR carries is the wonderful fairing that provides wind and weather protection missing on the Husky, and a much more robust rack for luggage.
Good point on the weight. Weight isn't likely to be a significant factor in choosing between the 2 bikes since the weights are so similar. That being the case would you advise riders to put more emphasis on suspension, braking, and other important handling characteristics when comparing the KLR to the Terra?

Is the stock luggage rack on the KLR confirmed to be "much more robust"? Have there been reports from owners of breakage or significant limitations with the Terra rack? If this is indeed the case I think lack of robustness of the rack would be a significant factor for many riders.

Quote:
An aftermarket muffler, and one of the super light batteries could bring the net weight differential between Terra and KLR down to ZERO.
Agreed - If you modify the KLR but not the Terra, then it is probably that you can get the KLR closer to the stock weight of the Terra. Is it fair to limit the modifications to the KLR only? Once you start modifying and farkling, then shouldn't you make similar mods to both bikes in order to make a fair and reasonable comparison?

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there" - tricepilot

Texas Adventure
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #1283
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,683
Ed@Ford....I'm guessing you have not ridden a Terra. Is that correct?

You're in for a BIG surprise!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #1284
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Personally, if we're paying MSRP, I couldn't fathom buying a KLR. And I am by no means a KLR hater. But that being said, how many people pay MSRP for a KLR. A couple years back places were selling leftover models for $3999. I think that is the stronger argument for the KLR - actual cost. At $500, I think the Terra is the hands down winner. But when that cost starts looking like $2000+, the KLR is very compelling.
If "left over" KLRs can be had today for $3999 then it makes the KLR a lot more compelling. I guess the question is how many "left over" KLRs are available at $3999 - can you get one at pretty much any Kawasaki dealer today?

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there" - tricepilot

Texas Adventure
Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #1285
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

HF
Have not ridden one. The MI dealer I bought my 610 from is long since gone...and was over 2 hours away...and was a poor dealer anyway. I'm sure I would be massively surprised, because my most recent surprise was Mark Sampson (aka "BigDog") bought one and is in love with it as a replacement for his KLR and $$ KTM. His opinion and subsequent purchase is a mighty hig endorsement of the machine. BUT, as I said, having had a BMW F650 Dakar, and a Husky 610, and currently having an '09 KLR, everything I have read, including the ECU issues, weight, & power, says the 685 KLR I have will not be replaced soon.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #1286
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
...currently having an '09 KLR, everything I have read, including the ECU issues, weight, & power, says the 685 KLR I have will not be replaced soon.
I probably wouldn't replace a fully farkled and modified KLR685 with a stock Terra.

What is your advice for those who don't currently own a full farkled & modified KLR and are trying to decide between purchasing a new KLR or a new Terra?

Texas Adventure

Trail Boss screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 06:59 AM
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #1287
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

HF
I bet he'd be surprised too...

I owned the latest model KLR650, an 08 for two years...I liked the torquey engine, but not much else. Very top heavy - undersprung, but, for me, the worst was the hiway - it just didn't have the balls to cruise at higher speeds. The Terra has the torquey engine but keeps on reving - hiway speeds are easy and I feel secure on the bike in traffic. That engine is miles above the KLR, IMO.
The fun factor wasn't there either - the Terra has a great fun factor - crap, you ever try to wheelie a KLR? It can be done, but violent pilot input required...LOL...

The suspension? The Terra has well-sprung cartridge USD forks and a firm shock with rebound adjustment - feels very good to me

How about an 18 inch rear tire size?

Aftermarket companies are scrambling to make skid plates, luggage, etc.

Hey, if a cheap-skate like me will spring for a Terra, so will a LOT of other people...Husky has a hit on their hands, I think.

PS, the ECU stalling issue is a problem only on the first release bikes - mine was a second-shipment and runs perfectly, which is the same I'm hearing from everyone else. Not only that, but the first release bikes that do have a problem only need to have the ECU recalibrated at the dealer...Husky has already got the download upgrade dialed-in.

kawagumby screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 07:00 AM
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #1288
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
I probably wouldn't replace a fully farkled and modified KLR685 with a stock Terra.

What is your advice for those who don't currently own a full farkled & modified KLR and are comparing a new KLR to a new Terra?
He's just defending his ride and trying to rationalize picking a KLR over the new Terra. My buddies ride 2010 KLR's. They like them and seem to be able to go most fire roading places, plus they travel long distances very well. One even has a nifty Recluse clutch. Nice practial motorcycles. But this new Terra seems to be a decent upgrade all around.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #1289
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,910
Parts Pricing?

Has anyone checked what the replacement parts for the BM/H are Terra priced at?

After owning a KLR I purchased a 640 at roughly a 40% higher showroom price... What I did notice was that the OEM replacement parts for the 640 were not 40% higher, in fact a lot of the parts were much cheaper... Most 640 engine related stuff ran around the same price or cheaper, plastics for the 640 were cheaper as well as quite a bit of the everyday wear items... The 640 suspension components were much higher priced...

I'm curious that when it comes to buying replacements will you pay the BMW price or the Husky price?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #1290
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Very nice pictures K1W1!

The air filter swap is a trivial exercise. It's on the front of the right fairing. Three torx head screws, pull out old, push in new, replace. 5 minute exercise. Does take a bit of finesse to get around a cable bundle, but once you've done it the first time it's very easy.

The service manual calls for valve checks every 10,000km, 6,000 miles. See post #1059 for more maintenance details.

The fuel fill appears to be a disaster, but turns out it's the easiest bike I've ever owned, even with vapor recovery crap on the pump. You stick it in, squeeze, wait for click, it's full. I'm on my 11th tank. Other rides report similar experiences. Oregon dropped the vapor recovery requirement, although some stations in Portland still have them. Just hold it back while your squeezing.