Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #1336
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Congrats Good to hear from another owner. I agree, this ain't no KLR, had one all farkled, 685, suspension, etc, loved it when I had it!
Thanks, gunnr...me too. Darn pig. I think its a required element for the right of passage into Dualsport Heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Did they have more? I wanted to look at one next when I visit for NYE.
Congrats on the new bike. Jealous
Nope! I swiped their last can of Who-hash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone650rider View Post
I own a dr650. I own a r1100 gs. All I want to do is sell them both and buy this bike. All my friends think I'm crazy. Do you guys that own one think this would be a mistake? I'm losing my mind.
Hello,
My name is Scott
I have a disease.
I'm a bike-aholic
There is no cure
Only treatment

I feel better today…..my new prescription seems to be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Good stuff HF, good to see you treating it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
Good for ya! Kenny told me a guy from OK had been all over the demo the day before I bought mine. Donnell's is a great dealership.
Yeah….Kenny made me take the Demo. Must have rode it too hard….I donno. Think most the miles were mine, anyway.

So cool to meet Mr. Donnell and sit around for a long chat about his rather historic past. He should be inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame. Everyone needs to stop in there and meet him, while they still have a chance.

Its like going into K&N Yamaha, here in Tulsa. Norm McDonald was still on the floor, last time I was over there. And, of course, Sam & Phil McDonald….his sons & racing legends. They run the shop everyday. For those that don't know, that would be one in the same….creator of K&N Air Filters.

Put a trip to Donnell's Cycle, Independence, Missouri, on your short-term bucket list…..to meet Mr. Donnell. Hurry!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #1337
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
OK High Five you have my attention for sure. I know two different animals but compare it some to the WRR. I have had two Husky's in the past TE 510 & TE 250. Great bikes but not on the slab above 55 or 60. Now have WRR & XRL 650 & would really like to get down to one do it all or close. Signed
VERY INTERESTED
I'll give you my take, as I currently own both and want to keep both. If you ride technical trails keep the WRR, even with it's 300 lb weight it will run circles around the Terra. It will go where you cannot take a Terra - the WRR is just enough dirt bike to get the job done. The WRR is better for slow speed exploring too, it's relative lightness make direction changes, even trails that should not have been tried not bring you to the brink of doom the the Terra would cause. Everywhere else the Terra shines - I consider the Terra to be a street bike with reasonable dirt manners. The WRR is a very heavy dirt bike with reasonable street manners. Which tool do you need? I need both.

PS - For example; on an organized dual-sport ride, with A&B off-road trails, A being the easy dirt-road and single-track trails, B being the sometimes very technical dirt-bike trails that often are only a foot or two wide.....you don't take a 400 lb short-suspension bike on B trails unless you have the body of Conan the Barbarian, the skills of Dick Burleson and have a lot of lucky bounces off of rocks, etc...

My ride spectrum: Nasty trails I use my heavily modified light 2 stroke KDX's
Difficult but no "ghosting" required: The WRR
Reasonably escapable, no cross-grain: The Terra

For street, the list is reversed.

kawagumby screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:26 AM Reason: Dual sport ride...
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #1338
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
OK High Five you have my attention for sure. I know two different animals but compare it some to the WRR. I have had two Husky's in the past TE 510 & TE 250. Great bikes but not on the slab above 55 or 60. Now have WRR & XRL 650 & would really like to get down to one do it all or close. Signed
VERY INTERESTED
Hhhhmmmm.....this one deserves its own dedicated Post. I shall answer it fully, but not just yet. I need more time on the Terra, in more conditions, to provide a complete comparative analysis. You'll have to wait a bit longer.

I have a rather historic past with the WRR. You can read all about it in my WRRdualsport.com website (in signature link below). Its one of my most favorite bikes in the whole world. Well....was. I sold it 2 weeks ago. Shocking even to me.

I rolled the money into Project TR650. Interpret it as you may...

HF

p.s. I can say this much so far: Terra beats WRR on the road. Slam-dunk, no contest. It has real passing speed and long comfortable legs. I'm laughing about all the 5 speed vs. 6 speed gearbox debate held between non-owners (many of whom have never even test road the Terra). Naturally, I would prefer a 6 speed gearbox. But, I'm quite surprised how much I like this 5 speed version....done right!

Yesterday, I discovered that I don't have to shift nearly as often. I was riding around town just leaving it in 2nd or 3rd gear. The motor has so much smooth torque, it will lug down to nearly a stop and pull smoothly right back up regardless of which gear its in. You can't hardly tell a difference, as it does not get into that chug-chug-lurch mode when rolling too slowly in too high a gear (like so many motor do).

Running down the highway at 65 mph on one stretch, I caught myself laughing when I suddenly realized I was only in 4th gear. I was feeling a little itty bit of vibes where I had not before, and was thinking hhmmmmm....where is this new sensation coming from. If this seems odd to you, or hard to believe, then you simply have not ridden this bike. The spacing of these 5 gears is quite effective. I've never once tried pulling for 6th gear yet. And, all my other bikes have 6 speed gearboxes. Very interesting, it is...
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:38 AM
Old 12-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #1339
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I'll give you my take, as I currently own both and want to keep both. If you ride technical trails keep the WRR, even with it's 300 lb weight it will run circles around the Terra. It will go where you cannot take a Terra - the WRR is just enough dirt bike to get the job done. The WRR is better for slow speed exploring too, it's relative lightness make direction changes, even trails that should not have been tried not bring you to the brink of doom the the Terra would cause. Everywhere else the Terra shines - I consider the Terra to be a street bike with reasonable dirt manners. The WRR is a very heavy dirt bike with reasonable street manners. Which tool do you need? I need both.

PS - For example; on an organized dual-sport ride, with A&B off-road trails, A being the easy dirt-road and single-track trails, B being the sometimes very technical dirt-bike trails that often are only a foot or two wide.....you don't take a 400 lb short-suspension bike on B trails unless you have the body of Conan the Barbarian, the skills of Dick Burleson and have a lot of lucky bounces off of rocks, etc...

My ride spectrum: Nasty trails I use my heavily modified light 2 stroke KDX's
Difficult but no "ghosting" required: The WRR
Reasonably escapable, no cross-grain: The Terra

For street, the list is reversed.
Thanks just the info I needed. For now the WRR will stay along with the old XRL. Seeing Norm Mcdonald's name brings back some memories for sure of his Riverside CA store before he sold it to Malcolm Smith. Norm's partner Kenny Johnson( hence the name K&N) ran the Yamaha of Monclair shop where I lived. Often wondered where they were, though I knew Norm moved to OK a long time ago. Great guys for sure.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #1340
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Be careful trusting Gumby. Don't forget his horse is named Pokey.

Just sayin,

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 12-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #1341
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Be careful trusting Gumby. Don't forget his horse is named Pokey.

Just sayin,

HF
Yes but I also see him as being very flexable
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #1342
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Yes but I also see him as being very flexable
One of the funniest Larsen comics was Gumby being stretched on a torture rack with a big smile on his face... the caption reads "Special agent gumby falls into the frustrated hands of the enemy." Good stuff...
Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #1343
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Larson

I really miss Larson

Old 12-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #1344
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,050
gadgets

Well, my street has 5 inches of frozen wet shit.

Attached some of the parts I wanted instead of riding. (I know, flat lander pussy living in cold country)

I put a screen I had laying around to deflect some wind. Couple minutes grinding old tabs off of it, and a rummage in the hardware bin came up with the proper grommets and such. Its shape is ugly, but will suffice til something comes out. Also, shows the Cycra hand guards.

Cockpit picture shows GPS and hand warmer controller on left bar. These are the KTM hard parts warmers and work great! I used a left over RAM mount I had since I used a dash mount on my RT... I just bought an extra motorcycle mount from Amazon and wired it in.

Maybe it will warm up enough to at least melt snow off the roads and I will get to ride it on the streets some.
wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #1345
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
It needs a 17" wheel option.
speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #1346
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
It's called the Strada.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #1347
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
It's called the Strada.
or Terra ABS.

There you go two options (except one is not actually available in many parts of the world).
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #1348
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Ugh....I have problem!

Day 2....I played errand boy for Sweet Thang, and committed some urban assault working off Momma's last minute Christmas list.

And a serious problem surfaced, the Terra is a gawker magnet.

When I came out of the hardware store, a man was giving it a "too close" inspection. He asked, "What is this?" He used to own a DRZ and commenced asking 101 questions.

Second stop was Radio Shack. I departed the store to find 3 men surrounding my Terra. Huge smiles and rapid fire questions kept me pinned down for another 15 minutes. One of them asked for a test ride. I told him, whatever cash he had in his wallet....it wasn't enough.

That was it...I bee-lined for Rancho Highfive. Cutting the errands short. If I kept going, I would not have gotten down to the far more important stuff: some serious riding business. It was a gorgeous 70 degree day in Okiehoma, and I wanted to hit the twisties. We have a real good stretch of them around a nearby lake. Consider it Oklahoma's version of the Tail of the Dragon. I never counted the curves, but its a bunch....in the woods, up & down the hills, tight and narrow, with several decreasing radius hairpins.......plus loose gravel now & then. Deer everywhere. Great spot to test the Terra.

I dropped in on a very surprised & unsuspecting friend, Rufus. He jumped on his Goldwing (the most readily available horse in his stable) and off we went for the next 4 hours. Hopefully, Rufus will find this Thread and share his first impression. He had read a few articles, but wasn't very familiar with the Terra personally. He had no idea I had purchased one, and no advance notice that he would get a test ride today. So, that's about as unbiased as it can come....if it comes. For the record, Rufus is an Expert rider in every sense. A very accomplished offroad competitor.

I know I had a good time on her today. This might be the best commuter bike I've ever ridden around town. I've been on 36"+ seat heights so long, I had forgotten how nice it is to have both feet flat-footed on the ground. The Terra is easy to back up with your feet....to get out of a tight parking space.

I was in the saddle about 5 hours today.....longest non-stop stretch about 2.5 hrs. I never got butt fatigue. Don't know how they did it, but this seat is quite comfy. It remains a mystery to me.

Soon, I'll strip her naked and get more intimate. I'm anxious to see what's under the hood.

HF

p.s. Terra starts with "T" and that stands for Twisties. She ate 'em up! Even better than my F800GS. Its that compact Motard feel and great motor. This thing just rides the rails into the corner and deceptively shoots out the exit. I've got no complaints with the stock Metzler Sahara3 tires yet. I'm actually digging them. Of course, we've not had any rain for half a year...

p.s.2 A few things I don't like: I'm not crazy about the thin stock bars. I'll be changing to ProTaper Evo or equal Fat Bar. BigDog was right (which is no surprise)....the High Beam indicator is way to bright (in the dark). Gonna have to cover that with some of Sweet Thang's fingernail polish. Or maybe a piece of Duck Tape. I mean, what were they thinking?

With the rubber spacers removed from the footpegs, my left heel also rubs on the top spring mount of the kickstand. Need wider pegs and/or devise a new solution. Not a big deal, but something to consider.
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 06:39 PM
Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #1349
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,065
I was certainly intrigued by the new Huskies. On paper the Tera appears to be another ho-hum DS bike. I had read some good reviews, but wasn't really excited about it. When HF rode up on one my interest certainly jumped. I pulled out the Goldwing and we took about a 100 mile ride. We switched bikes a couple of times. I rode about 15 miles of HWY and 15 miles of twisties.

The first thing I noticed was the smoothness of the motor. NO vibration, no flat spots. no hesitation. It pulls great from idle. It is deceptively fast. 5th gear roll ons didn't give a great FEELING of acceleration, but the numbers on the speedo were climbing faster than expected. This motor is a short shifters dream. It pulls strongly at low to mid throttle. Right where most of us ride. You could ride all day and never get past half throttle. I love it!!

Every DS bike that i had ridden NEEDED a 6th gear. The exception being the 990 KTM I had. It had 6 gears, but they are too close together. This bike doesn't NEED a 6th gear. It runs great at low speed and easily pulls 60-70 mph. It is new so i didn't push it any harder. The motor is just loafing at that speed. You could drop a tooth on the countersprocket and still be fine on the HWY. I didn't feel any huge gaps between gears ( like my 650 L). This bike feels light and flickable (unlike the KLR I had). Handling is very responsive with great feedback. It doesn't feel top heavy ( like a 990 or a KLR). Seat height is low enough for me ( 29" inseam) to easily touch both feet down. It is easy to stand up on and has a very comfortable seat.
The motor isn't quick and peppy like a dirt bike. But it is a lot faster than a KLR or a 650L, Both of which are outstanding DS motors IMHO.
I have owned a few dozen dirt bikes. For DS I have owned a 525 KTM, 990 KTM, XR 600, KLR 650, and currently have an XR 650L.
I predict that the 650 husky will be THE DS motor that everyone wants. You could easily ride all day long, day after day after day with this bike
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #1350
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
The guys from OK ^, speak much truth. They've described the bike much better than I could have.
Particularly,
the seat, freakishly good for a stock seat
the lack of need of a 6th gear, in stock gearing 4000 rpm in 5th shows 62 mph on the gps.
Also, even though it's geared a bit tall, there's plenty of low end for the type of riding I'll be doing on it, I've no plans to change it.

Peeked under the plastic a bit, routing a battery tender pigtail. Let's just say things are a bit "cozy" under there. Not a lot of wasted space. There is however just a bit of room in front of the battery. Small tool roll or a patch kit might fit.

A brand new bike in the middle of winter, truly a first world problem. May have to try some of those grip heaters.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote