Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #1366
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
The hardware.

I'm a little concerned that you didn't use nylock nuts to prevent loosening. I'm thinking with the rack and box both being plastic and compressible, standards nuts will allow the bolts to loosen.

Nice stable of bikes, BTW.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #1367
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I'm a little concerned that you didn't use nylock nuts to prevent loosening.
Excellent observation. My hardware store, which is usually very good at having this stuff, was out of M8 nylocks. I'll get some, but in the interim used blue threadlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Nice stable of bikes, BTW.
Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #1368
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Another thought...I would cut out a pice of 1/8 aluminium or stainless thats larger in area than all 3 mounting points inside and sandwich the case. This will minimize the vibration and stop the case from cracking at the washer areas....Just a thaught....
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #1369
ClintTX
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just finished reading the review of the Terra in the latest Motorcyle Consumer News. Positive for the most part and they believe it will steal sales from the Sertao. I think it will certainly steal sales from the dr650 and KLR. They think it is fun and value packed.

They dislike the tires for off-road and note a high speed weave at 80. Seen this mentioned with many dual purpose bikes, usually attributed to the beak and/or tire pressure. Often addressed with rigid aftermarket front fender. I would appreciate any of your views on the high speed stability. My intended use is hard pack, light sand and 70% paved roads.
ClintTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #1370
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Makes me want to try it all over again on a Strada. Man-oh-man, that's got to be something special in the Twisties
I know this is the Terra thread, but what do people think about the Strada? I know, 19" wheel bla bla but with a TKC it would OK for most roads or even the easy trails that_I_ would ride a 650 on. And I've been telling myself for a few years that my next bike should have ABS .... My only concern would be fragile alloys? I haven't had a chance to look at one yet; there was only a Terra at the bike show here last month. It should be hard to install a wire 21" anyway, perhaps a Sertao or Dakar wheel and rotor would bolt right up?

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #1371
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,331
I did a very similar install on my X-Challenge with the same size hardware and washers. However, my setup had 4 bolts instead of three and the TT rack probably has a bit more surface area. I also used a Storm 2100 vs the 2450. That said, I've had my tools and other stuff in there for about two years and never had any issues.

I think the surface area of the washers, the flexibility of the plastic, and the rack as a base really minimizes the stress on the box. YMMV.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #1372
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 377
Good to see BigDogs Terra blog is backup on his site.
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #1373
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I know this is the Terra thread, but what do people think about the Strada? I know, 19" wheel bla bla but with a TKC it would OK for most roads or even the easy trails that_I_ would ride a 650 on. And I've been telling myself for a few years that my next bike should have ABS .... My only concern would be fragile alloys? I haven't had a chance to look at one yet; there was only a Terra at the bike show here last month. It should be hard to install a wire 21" anyway, perhaps a Sertao or Dakar wheel and rotor would bolt right up?

-dman
I purchased a Strada, because of the cast wheels, easy to plug tubeless tires and for my type of dirt, forest and fire roads, just perfect, great in the twisties up here also.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #1374
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
It should be hard to install a wire 21" anyway, perhaps a Sertao or Dakar wheel and rotor would bolt right up?

-dman
If you look at my photos back on about page 85 you will see that the front hub of the Terra is actually stamped as a BMW part. It would say that is the exact same hub and wheel you get on. Serato.
There is a lot of badge engineering in the Huskys and there should be an awful lot of interchangeble parts between the Huskys and their German cousins.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #1375
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
Good to see BigDogs Terra blog is backup on his site.
+1

I'd like to say more but the walls have ears and are clearly tissue paper thin.......
:Sshhhh
Old 12-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #1376
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:

-dman
I consider this the TR650 Terra/Strada thread. The bikes are very similar except for wheels/fender/abs. I picked up the Strada, my bias being being street. Eats up the pavement. Pics from today's 230 mile ride...

Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #1377
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,632
Day 4

Weather deteriorating….temps dropping to low 40's….and I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to get offroad in the dirt for awhile, even though I don't have a skid plate yet.

No big deal, just kept it on some nice two-track.

She's not fooling me anymore….this baby rips in the dirt. Handles quite nicely in the moderate trail. I still don't feel the heavy (spec-sheet) weight. The slow speed torque was better than I expected in 1st gear. I crawled thru some rock piles and ledges rather slowly (with my feet on the pegs…of course). More testing is required before I swap out that drive sprocket.

Here's some video I shot by myself. Ain't much, I know, so just use your imagination…

The motor is strong enough to power up a wheelie in 1st gear without any clutch assistance. I shot this video clip in attempt to demonstrate that.

The motor will loft the front-end on demand.

Regarding the 5-speed gearbox, here is a comparison of speeds achieved for same rpm in each gear:

Gear / 4,000rpm / 5,000rpm

1st / 20 mph / 25 mph
2nd / 32 mph / 40 mph
3rd / 44 mph / 53 mph
4th / 55 mph / 65 mph
5th / 65 mph / 80 mph

I refilled my tank with 2.9 US Gallons on 160 miles = 55 mpg

I noticed the fuel usage indicator (on the electronic display) said usage = 2.91 USG

So, that whizmo is reading spot on the money. Good to know.

Merry Christmas! My gift today is some more photos for all the wannabes.

Pull the trigger! You won't regret it.

HF

p.s I'm really liking the streamlined dual exhaust. Its quiet, yet has nice balanced sound when you get on it. I have no plans whatsoever to change it. The motor is working so well, I might not even give it a Canisterectomy for fear of jinxing it.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 10:26 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #1378
LeGitan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
XCh engine swap?

Not sure if this is the right thread but here goes:

Can anybody confirm that the engine will fit in an X-Challenge frame?

The bike I'm going to build currently has 30000+ KM on the clock and I have no idea how it was treated so... I would have bought a new XCh but putting a new engine, suspension, bearings and wheels on mine seems like a good alternative

Not sure I can buy an separate engine for a reasonable price but I can always swap engines with a strada and keep the Husky as a city weapon :)

Thoughts?
LeGitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #1379
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGitan View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread but here goes:

Can anybody confirm that the engine will fit in an X-Challenge frame?

The bike I'm going to build currently has 30000+ KM on the clock and I have no idea how it was treated so... I would have bought a new XCh but putting a new engine, suspension, bearings and wheels on mine seems like a good alternative

Not sure I can buy an separate engine for a reasonable price but I can always swap engines with a strada and keep the Husky as a city weapon :)

Thoughts?
Same engine but different head, cam, timing, compression...
The Husky engine is tuned to run the way it does, with the Husky ignition and F.I. management.
Running it with the BMW ignition and fuel management may not get the results you are looking for.
Plus the fact the use of different heads may cause a problem with air box hook up.
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #1380
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

Regarding the 5-speed gearbox, here is a comparison of speeds achieved for same rpm in each gear:

Gear / 4,000rpm / 5,000rpm

1st / 20 mph / 25 mph
2nd / 32 mph / 40 mph
3rd / 44 mph / 53 mph
4th / 55 mph / 65 mph
5th / 65 mph / 80 mph
Those are some nice photos.. your camera must rival the Terra.

What rpm does the rev limiter kick in at?
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote