Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #1396
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalex View Post
However I've have had so far some pretty big bikes like the current 990 KTM, previously a 12GSA. Africa Twin... and whilst excellent bikes that you can ride almost everywhere, the effort it requires to do so is quite higher than with a lighter bike.

That's maybe why I'm a bit paranoic about weight, after suffering it so much...
If you were able to handle the big bikes - 50kg less should feel like a trials bike in comparison
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #1397
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
I see there's a lot of stuff around about how the Terra fares versus the KLR. I can see the point as it could be considered as an alternative. However, I think a really useful and valid comparison would be against the X650 BMWs, Xchallenge, Xcountry....Thanks!!
I don't feel it compares ot the Xchallenge at all. IMO that would be the TE630 series. The Terra is closer to the Dakar/Sertao w/new plastics, better frame, Xchallenge Rotax and USD foks (however weak they are). You could throw the Terra at a lightened Dakar/Sertao w/KYB USD forks and a reworked suspension and the only difference would be the engine upgrade. Touring/Dual sport. Confortable on the FWY and capable offroad (with limitations). Not a trail bike. ...yet.

Either way, both,all are great bikes and very capable in their owners hands. Very impressed with the Terra hope the aftermarket embraces the bike (TT and Altrider). I also can and only hope that BMW has something up their sleeve to revive the Dakar/Sertao line with capability since they killed off the xchallenge. Just imagine a lightweight tubular frame, high output engine, w/Sertao plastics, Dakar range and a fully capable and tuneable front/rear suspension ....

nomad5326 screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 09:08 PM
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #1398
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Surprisingly good.....though it remains a mystery to me. I spent 4 hours in the saddle the other day, and I never got uncomfortable or any serious butt fatigue. Just crazy! I did start to get a bit of ache in my knees due to the more compact position from the lower seat height (closer seat to peg spacing) than I'm accustomed to. But, it's quite easy to stand up on the Terra for a stretch. I may change the pegs to something I can lower a bit and move forward....to open my legs a bit.

HF
On that note it appears from afar that the pegs are the same as the F800GS as well as the other parts I mentioned in the other thread. Do they look like it to you HF?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #1399
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
What rpm does the rev limiter kick in at?
Redline on my tachometer is 8000. The rev limiter hits right after 8500.

The party is over a ways before that though, peak HP is 7200ish, peak torque is about 6000.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #1400
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Surprisingly good.....though it remains a mystery to me. I spent 4 hours in the saddle the other day, and I never got uncomfortable or any serious butt fatigue. Just crazy! I did start to get a bit of ache in my knees due to the more compact position from the lower seat height (closer seat to peg spacing) than I'm accustomed to. But, it's quite easy to stand up on the Terra for a stretch. I may change the pegs to something I can lower a bit and move forward....to open my legs a bit.

HF
This is the first bike in a long time that I won't have to buy an aftermarket seat for.

There's something about the peg/shifter/brake relationship that bugs me...I can't figure out exactly what the issue is, but I'm having to lift my foot too much on upshifts, yet the downshift position is good (I'm even using a different shifter now too). Is the shifter-pedal/drum spacing larger than most dirt bikes? I'm going to try another, shorter shifter and see if that helps. Now the brake side arrangement is just sad. I'm hoping my brain will come up with some ideas on master cylinder, reservoir protection and brake pedal redesign while I sleep, cause I can't come up with a good plan while I'm awake, LOL...

I'm thinking lower pegs will help too.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #1401
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
I spoke to a dealer today and he said that the frame was the same as the F650. Is that correct?

Wondering if Caribou or Jesse will come out with luggage for this bike, or if the F650 bits will already fit.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #1402
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
I see there's a lot of stuff around about how the Terra fares versus the KLR.

I can see the point as it could be considered as an alternative. However, I think a really useful and valid compariosn would be against the X650 BMWs, Xchallenge, Xcountry....

On paper, there are a lot of simmilarities, but also some significant differences. I think if somebody could make it past the pure specsheet comparison into real facts, this could be priceles for many...

The X BMWs made up for an almost perfect base for Adventure biking, as many riders here have proved. The Terra shows some apparent improvements (larger fuel tank, is currently being produced so you can get a brand new one, already has a steel subframe...) but also some shortcomings;

-Apparently much heavier
-Requires higher Octan
-Higher fuel consumption

Apart from that, yes, suspension can be improved, etc; but all this are things you can easly sort out (may be pricey, but feasible), I instead see no easy way to reduce 22KG , and wonder for an instance what's the real impact of this weight difference.

It seems clear the bike would be more off-road capable than a KLR, but what about the Xc? And is anybody able to estimate, based on their experience, which one would have the highest limit off-road?

Personally, I've been sine long ago setting up for "the long one" all across Asia, which shall take place once I'm dismissed from my current obbligations (expected Jan '14); I have now a route, some necessary training, languages learned.. and some 15 months ahead of me on which to choose and prepare the final bike -and getting the whole thing "real"-.

Choice for the starting point is between XCountry and Terra. Obviously both would be heavily modified. The Terra has the added benefit of a -small- degree of support from the importer, but rather than that, would appear to be one step back from the Xc....

Any inputs?

Thanks!!
Dream on, the Terra is just another BMW Dakar with USD forks

The G650X bikes are a completely different platform (apart from sharing a Rotax motor)

XChallenge is.........
40kgs lighter
Different hubs
More Enduro orientated body work and instruments
More suspension travel
Alloy/light steel perimeter frame
Alloy swingarm
Alloy subframe

The Terra is just another BMW F650GSm in different clothes

XChallenge is more KTM 690E

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #1403
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I spoke to a dealer today and he said that the frame was the same as the F650. Is that correct?
No.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #1404
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
This is the first bike in a long time that I won't have to buy an aftermarket seat for.

There's something about the peg/shifter/brake relationship that bugs me...I can't figure out exactly what the issue is, but I'm having to lift my foot too much on upshifts, yet the downshift position is good (I'm even using a different shifter now too). Is the shifter-pedal/drum spacing larger than most dirt bikes? I'm going to try another, shorter shifter and see if that helps. Now the brake side arrangement is just sad. I'm hoping my brain will come up with some ideas on master cylinder, reservoir protection and brake pedal redesign while I sleep, cause I can't come up with a good plan while I'm awake, LOL...

I'm thinking lower pegs will help too.
Early 2000's YZ Yamaha are the short shifters and the WR ones are longer versions. Just buy generic steel models made for those bikes as they fit and work perfectly on the BMW.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #1405
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

So do early model kawasaki's....I'm using a KDX200 folding shifter now, but it's the same length as the stocker..
Thanks for the info - the more choices the better!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #1406
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
No.
Steel Swingarm is though

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #1407
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Early 2000's YZ Yamaha are the short shifters and the WR ones are longer versions. Just buy generic steel models made for those bikes as they fit and work perfectly on the BMW.
Or get an adjustable shifter to try various setups. Plenty of them aftermarket, eg
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...-G650GS-Sertao

You may also try adjustable footpegs:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...o-R1100-1150GS
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #1408
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
There's something about the peg/shifter/brake relationship that bugs me...I can't figure out exactly what the issue is
Have you tried taking the rubbers out of the stock pegs?
Based on my (short) ride it felt to me that the brake pedal was set up for the height of the steel parts of the pegs not the rubber which are considerably higher. I wonder if the brake deal off the new F800GS with its two height adjustment tip will fit? I suspect that it might.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #1409
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Have you tried taking the rubbers out of the stock pegs?
Based on my (short) ride it felt to me that the brake pedal was set up for the height of the steel parts of the pegs not the rubber which are considerably higher. I wonder if the brake deal off the new F800GS with its two height adjustment tip will fit? I suspect that it might.
Yes, I removed the rubbers first thing. I ride with dirtbike boots, so I need to readjust accordingly. This bike's peg/shifter geometry is set up a little different than any of my other rides - I needed to move the shifter up a notch to clear the larger boots which worsened the situation. I need to keep trying different lengths and bends - and maybe fastway foot pegs would help too - it looks like they will work with this bike. I think the shift throw is a little longer than most bikes I've had and moving the shifter up worsens the situation. I just rode one of my dirt bikes yesterday and the shifting is so precise with minimal movement you don't even think about it...not so on the Terra...yet.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #1410
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Yes, I removed the rubbers first thing. I ride with dirtbike boots, so I need to readjust accordingly. This bike's peg/shifter geometry is set up a little different than any of my other rides - I needed to move the shifter up a notch to clear the larger boots which worsened the situation. I need to keep trying different lengths and bends - and maybe fastway foot pegs would help too - it looks like they will work with this bike. I think the shift throw is a little longer than most bikes I've had and moving the shifter up worsens the situation. I just rode one of my dirt bikes yesterday and the shifting is so precise with minimal movement you don't even think about it...not so on the Terra...yet.
If your budget permits, I would recommend Pivot Pegz. They are nice and wide and make shifting much easier standing up or sitting down. They also have the cool factor as well.

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote