Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #1411
gomerkfx700
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I know that it may not be for everyone but on the ds650 atvs we would buy two folding pegs and take the shifter end off of one and weld it ontop of the other to make a thick toe shifter then drop the lever down about 2 or 3 splines and that will take some of the throw out of it but can make it hard to get your boot under it
gomerkfx700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #1412
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
If your budget permits, I would recommend Pivot Pegz. They are nice and wide and make shifting much easier standing up or sitting down. They also have the cool factor as well.

Cheers
Thanks, yes that product looks like it could really help...I just sent them a fitment query.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #1413
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
If your budget permits, I would recommend Pivot Pegz. They also have the cool factor as well.
I have tried both the standard and newer wide Pivot's and wanted to like them but I came to realize that allot of peg input when riding off-road is best done with a solid platform vs. one that tilts.

modeselector screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 01:28 PM
modeselector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #1414
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
If the stock footpegs are like the F650 singles, I welded hoops around the outside to suit me out of flat steel and ground notches for teeth into them. I know cost is no objective to some, but I got like $5 in the pair. (maybe $100 in engineering fees?)
Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #1415
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Bluhduh a bit disappointed

Sorry for the doom and gloom, but right now this bike really makes me sad. It has so much more potential than what they got out of it.
In Australia at the moment it`s 9-10.000$ (according to bikesales) out of the door (with 24 month warranty) while I can get a “new” DR for under 7500$ and IMHO it`s not a 2.5 grand better bike.
But not just the price... A lot of people are saying yes finally a clear competitor for the DR XRL KLR. Those bikes were designed in the early medevial ages the Terra should be light years better they shouldn`t even be mentioned on the same page I shouldn`t even consider the DR as an alternative. It should measure up the 690 as the only other “up to date” DS bike from a different manufacturer. 20-30 years of motorcycle evolution should show more than what we got here just look at the supersports or nakeds. The 690 is much closer to that sort of evolution (the ideas and specs not the execution).
A lot would say that it`s built to a price point, but just look at the CRF250L which will be the absolutely the low end budget DS and it still has Alu swingarm, wavy discs, USD forks 9.8/9.5 travel,EFI,allright fuel quantity, FFS at least a plastic bash plate, and it looks well made for about half the price. A lot would say yea but it`s just a 250, but it`s main rival the WR250R costs pretty much the same as the Husqvarna and it has less than 10% weight and power advantage. So if the Terra would be 5-10% heavier 5-10% less powerful with similar suspension to the 690 and the same price as now I would be all over it, but sadly that`s not the case.
Before people pull out the guns I`m not trying to say it`s a bad bike it`s really good what it was made for maybe I just put my hopes too high. And I have to admit I have no hands on experience, but when I first heard about them, I thought this will be IT, the bike I was waiting for the best of both worlds (reliability and performance wise) something everyone dreamed off, from what I read and see I`m left with a tad sour taste in my mouth, but not all is lost I hope it will somehow ignite an arms race between the manufacturers to get us some really spectacular machines and we`ll definitely see some spectacular builds!
Why did I write this down? This bike was really something I put my hopes in...and I don`t want to lose hope.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #1416
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Bauer View Post
Sorry for the doom and gloom, but right now this bike really makes me sad. It has so much more potential than what they got out of it.
In Australia at the moment it`s 9-10.000$ (according to bikesales) out of the door (with 24 month warranty) while I can get a “new” DR for under 7500$ and IMHO it`s not a 2.5 grand better bike.
But not just the price... A lot of people are saying yes finally a clear competitor for the DR XRL KLR. Those bikes were designed in the early medevial ages the Terra should be light years better they shouldn`t even be mentioned on the same page I shouldn`t even consider the DR as an alternative. It should measure up the 690 as the only other “up to date” DS bike from a different manufacturer. 20-30 years of motorcycle evolution should show more than what we got here just look at the supersports or nakeds. The 690 is much closer to that sort of evolution (the ideas and specs not the execution).
A lot would say that it`s built to a price point, but just look at the CRF250L which will be the absolutely the low end budget DS and it still has Alu swingarm, wavy discs, USD forks 9.8/9.5 travel,EFI,allright fuel quantity, FFS at least a plastic bash plate, and it looks well made for about half the price. A lot would say yea but it`s just a 250, but it`s main rival the WR250R costs pretty much the same as the Husqvarna and it has less than 10% weight and power advantage. So if the Terra would be 5-10% heavier 5-10% less powerful with similar suspension to the 690 and the same price as now I would be all over it, but sadly that`s not the case.
Before people pull out the guns I`m not trying to say it`s a bad bike it`s really good what it was made for maybe I just put my hopes too high. And I have to admit I have no hands on experience, but when I first heard about them, I thought this will be IT, the bike I was waiting for the best of both worlds (reliability and performance wise) something everyone dreamed off, from what I read and see I`m left with a tad sour taste in my mouth, but not all is lost I hope it will somehow ignite an arms race between the manufacturers to get us some really spectacular machines and we`ll definitely see some spectacular builds!
Why did I write this down? This bike was really something I put my hopes in...and I don`t want to lose hope.
Absolutely well put and I agree 100%.

Ironicaly this bike got me looking at dualsports again but after anormas amount of research decision went to the KTM690. Regardless if you're going more towards street, 50/50 or more towards off road it seems the KTM will do it all on the highest level. To me KTM 690's price ($12000 otd) represents it's true value while Terra 650 doesnt. Yes it's 3k cheaper but for $9100 otd (here in Canada) It's way short value for the money. What bogles my mind is the 80lb difference over the KTM and especialy 40lbs over the stone aged (as mentioned) DR650 which I can have for just under 6k otd.
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #1417
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Well, just my 3 cents:
1. Terra is not a dirt bike, 690e is not a road bike; cant really compare;
2. If i would be higher than i really am, I wouldnt bother about either; both are compromised in some sense;
3. Msrp is not the end of the story; pls check service costs, reliability issues of Rotax vs. 690 and then think about problems somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

690 is a good machine - but surely not for everyone.
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #1418
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
I had been thinking that I was too quick to criticize - too quick to judge with my early posts on this thread. But I find that I agree with all three of the posts above, without a conflict.

The KTM690e and the TE610/630 represent the most recent, high-spec alternatives in a range of DS bikes that lean at least 50/50, if not more towards the off-road end of the spectrum.

The DR650 represents the low-tech end of that spectrum, from 50/50 to perhaps a bit more street oriented.

I don't think we'll find stone axe reliability and high-spec components (and light weight) in the same package any time soon, and I think that the DR650 represents the ultimate fall-back position, or provides a reference standard if you will.

The TR650's fall somewhere in the middle of the continuum. After reading much of this thread several times, I believe that the new Huskies will be a sales success in the USA, but that they miss the value proposition FOR ME.

If I had to buy a DS now, new or used, my choices would be between a WR250R and a TE630, and I'd lean toward the WRR. But I've decided to wait a bit and see what the market does. Yamaha has all of the pieces to sweep the board if they only had the will. Who knows if the manufacturers ever check these forums, but for my money, a 450R thumper or a 500R parallel twin (a modern KLE500 if you will) from Yamaha would change the game, and get me out of this rut in which I've been stuck for far too long.

Edit: Just for reference, the Husqvarna Nuda 900R weighs 428 lbs. wet. Small tank, yes. But Toura Tech did wonders for it aftermarket. Another reason I'm waiting a bit. Yamaha, where are you?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 04:47 PM Reason: Additional thought!
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #1419
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Mr. Gryphon, cant say it better. But still, im even less optymistic. In fact, i really think bike producers know the market even better ! What comes out of this knowledge is r1200gs/tigerexplorer/crosstourer/supertenere monster that really sells ! And that is 75% of ADV market needs, esp. in the f#####g recession we are now, the rest being crf250l'like kingdom. We're not gonig to see the really good mid-weigth ADV machine for quite some time from now IMHO...
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #1420
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,708
The big thing the previous posters are missing (asummed) is an actual Test Ride. I had similar thoughts from reading the spec sheet. Then I snatched a test ride.....and all bets were off immediately. I came home and sold my WRR and bought the Terra. Everyone won't be like me. But everyone doesn't have a Husaberg 390 in their stable, either. Just sayin

I really don't care what you ride. Just want you to go for a Test Ride. Then, tell us what you think.

I will correct Bubba on an obvious error in his post. The Terra has more than twice the horsepower and torque of WRR, not merely 10% additional, as cited. My stock WRR only had 22 HP and 14 ft-lbs Torque....you can see the Dyno Charts and read all about my work on it at the WRRdualsport.com link in my Signature. Zero speculation.

The Terra motor is absolutely fantastic for general DS duty, and the bike feels balanced and nimble (though it remains a mystery how). I'm having a freaking blast on it!

Sad that price is higher in Aussie & Canada. I paid less than $7,000 OTD in USA.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #1421
ryguy83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
i havent even got a test ride and im sold,i was gonna go with a wr,i really like the wr alot.but this new husky i really fell in love with the moment i seen one,to bad my dealer wont let test rides.i dont plan on doing much dirt,so i feel the terra is a perfect fit for me,got more power than the wr obviously which gonna like having on the street.This bike is beautiful in person.I dont feel like it should be compared to the 690.

-ry
ryguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #1422
Steveize
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Well, I have one you can test ride Capitol BMW Raleigh nc

I will be out on it sun, mon tue, but come by and get some seat time...we have all the husky's, but this is our demo.. We rolled a 310 out fri, just taking the terra home was a blast.. I have a BMW 650 thumper, so ask any q ' s about the two..

We would like to have a husky meet up.. Any interest in Raleigh nc area. .?

Capitolbmw.com

Let's ride!, Steve
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #1423
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Man, I'm still waiting on a demo to show up.

We have a Terra and two Stradas though.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #1424
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
.....and all bets were off immediately. I came home and sold my WRR and bought the Terra. Everyone won't be like me. But everyone doesn't have a Husaberg 390 in their stable, either. Just sayin
HF
Yup! If I had an FE390, I'd feel differently! I'm looking for one bike to cover the middle ground.

My buddy has the FE390, an F650GS Dakar, and a R1200GS. He thinks he's done (well, for now).

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #1425
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Well, just my 3 cents:
1. Terra is not a dirt bike, 690e is not a road bike; cant really compare;
2. If i would be higher than i really am, I wouldnt bother about either; both are compromised in some sense;
3. Msrp is not the end of the story; pls check service costs, reliability issues of Rotax vs. 690 and then think about problems somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

690 is a good machine - but surely not for everyone.
Not sure why a lot of people think that the 690 is not a good road bike. From everything I have read and heard it makes an excelent road bike. Things to make it comforetable will be needed pretty much on any bike you get, like better seat, windscreen etc. I'm actualy buying mine because I'm bettn that it will make an excelent road bike and it will run 17"s at least 65% of the time.
Admitably, reliability and cost of maintenance was also my big concern with the 690 prior to my research but I'm quite confident other wise now, especialy with the newer 2012 +...Besides, it sems all of them got some type of solvable bullshit teething problems anyways.

Just Hope I dont eat my words lol...Putting a deposit on one next week.
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote