Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 AM   #1441
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post

Unfortunately the 650 Terra, falls well short of the mark, being too road orientated and is essentially a re-dressed BMW F650GS/Sertao/Dakar

In that case the bike is obviously not suitable for you so don't buy one. It is however suitable for other people and many of them will buy one and have a great time riding it within the parameters that they personally set for the bike.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #1442
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
"Antenna ring"?? "EWS event"????????? Man, how Iove the simplicity of my DR650! Insert and turn key, push start button and RIDE!!
Yep, mate loves his new DR as well, even after trailering it home twice so far with electrical and gearbox problems.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #1443
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,401
Quote:
Subframes are easily sorted

Those 3 are the BEST executed 600cc Dualsports that have been brought to market in the last 5 years, bar none

Great engines
Great chassis
Sub 160kg fuelled
Good suspension
Good on road and offroad, which is essentially what a Dualsport should be

Unfortunately the 650 Terra, falls well short of the mark, being too road orientated and is essentially a re-dressed BMW F650GS/Sertao/Dakar
So by the time I take a 690R or a X-Challenge and get them ready to ride around the country, I'm going to end up adding all that weight that the manufacturer stripped off. I'm going to get a more comfortable seat on, that will weigh more. I'm going to beef up the subframe to better handle gear, and on and on.

At the end of the day, I still might have a bike that is a few pounds lighter, but not much. I will have spent a lot more money too. Hence the value of the TR650.

If I wanted a 160kg dual sport for short trips and heavy dirt, I'd just go buy a CRF250L and be done with it.

I hate to piss in your Cheerios, but there is no perfect dual-sport, nor will there ever be. By nature of design, no bike can be perfect on-road and perfect off-road. You find the best compromise that works for you, buy it, and go ride.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #1444
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
So by the time I take a 690R or a X-Challenge and get them ready to ride around the country, I'm going to end up adding all that weight that the manufacturer stripped off. I'm going to get a more comfortable seat on, that will weigh more. I'm going to beef up the subframe to better handle gear, and on and on.

At the end of the day, I still might have a bike that is a few pounds lighter, but not much. I will have spent a lot more money too. Hence the value of the TR650.

If I wanted a 160kg dual sport for short trips and heavy dirt, I'd just go buy a CRF250L and be done with it.

I hate to piss in your Cheerios, but there is no perfect dual-sport, nor will there ever be. By nature of design, no bike can be perfect on-road and perfect off-road. You find the best compromise that works for you, buy it, and go ride.

Not trying to debate with you, just wondering if I'm missing somthing? Buying a 690 next week.

After all the looking I've done, I couldnt find anything more that I would have to bolt on to a KTM 690 that I wouldn't have to bolt on to the Terra 650 to make it ready to ride around the country. Could you please elaborate on this.

I cant find anything that contradicts the massive 80lb weight differance..

Thanks
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #1445
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
In that case the bike is obviously not suitable for you so don't buy one. It is however suitable for other people and many of them will buy one and have a great time riding it within the parameters that they personally set for the bike.

+1

Just got mine

gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #1446
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
So by the time I take a 690R or a X-Challenge and get them ready to ride around the country, I'm going to end up adding all that weight that the manufacturer stripped off.
huh?
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #1447
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Subframes are easily sorted

Those 3 are the BEST executed 600cc Dualsports that have been brought to market in the last 5 years, bar none

Great engines
Great chassis
Sub 160kg fuelled
Good suspension
Good on road and offroad, which is essentially what a Dualsport should be
Don't forget the TE610!
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #1448
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 299
:Huh .... Oh yeah- Don't forget this is the 650 Terra thread...
Happy Trails...

There's at least 80lb difference in this thread alone...
Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #1449
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,481
I'm really baffled how somebody can proclaim one dual sport better than another for all purposes. Just because something has similar displacement and is a dual sport doesn't mean they are targeting the same niche. Moreover, for the few people that would actually cross-shop the KTM and the Husky, I would think they would do so knowing they would make sacrifices with each and have benefits with each.

Although I have no plans to replace my XCh with a Terra, if my XCh were totaled I would seriously consider it. Much like Riding Donkeys noted, I have spent a lot of time and money and added weight making my XCh a lot like the Husky. Moreover, KTMs were not even on my radar due to price and my impression of maintenance and reliability. But somebody else may make a completely different decision.

Just because YOU don't like the balance of a bike's pro's and con's, that doesn't make it a universal truth. When you come into a thread and declare one bike clearly superior or inferior for all riders, you really sound like you are are just here to piss on a thread.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #1450
skywalker714
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Golf Clubs

Dirt bikes are like playing golf: Here is what is in my bag.

3 Wood: 2013 Terra 650
5 Iron: 2008 Husky te610
7 Iron: A trick honda 270X
Sand Wedge: A Jim Pomeroy 1974 Pursang delivered to me buy Jim himself at a vintage national.
Putter: My first real bike, a 1970 Honda SL70 frame #441 (a great thumper vin #)

I can't wait to tee off with my 3 wood. We have 20" of snow in northern Michigan. I will have lots of time to get it set up this winter.
skywalker714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #1451
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 67
What I have in my bag is a 2009 Beta 400RR (Plated) and a 2010 Kawasaki Versys. The Beta is about as good a street legal dirt bike as it gets, significantly better than my friends KTM690 but it sucks on the asphalt and any trip on the pavement of 50 miles or more gets to be a real pain in the ass. The Versys rocks on the asphalt and I've done several long distance tours on it racking up to 700 miles per day on it but it's totally inadequate once the pavement ends. I really want to keep the long distance touring capabilities of the Versys but I also want to be able to use it to ride FSRs and moderate two track/easy single track, which the Versys is incapable of doing. So, I think the answer for me is the Terra. From what I've read you should be able to ride it on long pavement tours yet still take it off-road anywhere a KLR will go. I'd like to get the opinion of you Terra owners out there about how well the Terra will meet my needs.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #1452
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,051
this thread has gotten to be dreadful.

ugh...
wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #1453
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonpilot View Post
this thread has gotten to be dreadful.

ugh...

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #1454
mczarski
n00b

Oddometer: 3
New Bike

Happy New Year everyone. Well, I t-boned a car that pulled out in front of me last week on my 2012 KLR650. It's at the copart place, waiting for adjuster. If it's totaled, I am considering the Terra/Strada as options for replacement. It's going to be my commuter, 52 miles round trip daily. The windscreen and fuel tank on the KLR are big advantages for commuting, but I also like the "alleged" power/mpg/smoothness/stock tires of the Terra plus the option of ABS with the Strada. I will stay tuned for sure.
mczarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #1455
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczarski View Post
Happy New Year everyone. Well, I t-boned a car that pulled out in front of me last week on my 2012 KLR650. It's at the copart place, waiting for adjuster. If it's totaled, I am considering the Terra/Strada as options for replacement. It's going to be my commuter, 52 miles round trip daily. The windscreen and fuel tank on the KLR are big advantages for commuting, but I also like the "alleged" power/mpg/smoothness/stock tires of the Terra plus the option of ABS with the Strada. I will stay tuned for sure.
You must have fared well in the accident. Walking away from a potentially totaled bike is a good thing.

I had an 09 KLR, and find the wind management, stock to stock, much better on the Strada. Ride it for hours without any issues. I think the lack of frontal area makes a huge difference.