Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #1456
mczarski
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Strada

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
You must have fared well in the accident. Walking away from a potentially totaled bike is a good thing.

I had an 09 KLR, and find the wind management, stock to stock, much better on the Strada. Ride it for hours without any issues. I think the lack of frontal area makes a huge difference.
Yes, no broken bones, slowed down to 20-25mph? at time of impact. Handlebars bent forward, triple clamp tweaked, I assume forks twisted as well. Probably front rim bent as well. Minor scratches on left side fairing, shifter rod bent. Possible transmission issues?

Wow, ok, so the Strada is better wind wise. What speed to you typically cruise at?
mczarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #1457
dramatime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Wicked

I've been keeping up with this thread since I almost pulled the trigger on a new xr 650l. I was a day away from buying and decided to check out of curiosity to see if Honda might be making a newer 650 model. What popped up was something about a Terra. Buying that Honda would have been a tough bullet to swallow. A 6.50 mm to be exact now I will happily wait till spring to get the bike I've pretty much always needed and wanted (beside the hp2 enduro.) Something with real power when u need , good looking as well average in weight compared to other bikes in its category. If its to heavy for you lose weight or go to the gym and beef up. Or better yet buy a 1200gs and then come back and talk about weight. Having had a Suzuki drz 400 something with 150 less cc and the weight not to far off from the Terra I wouldn't mind the trade off even though the drz is a great bike even better than the dr650. Anyways bigdog comeback on here. I personally like your input and even if 1350 dollars fell in my lap out the sky I probably wouldn't buy your skid plate but it was a great design and if the price drops to 350 I'll be the first to buy. Well all Terra owners keep postin pics to keep the haters quiet and me fantasizing till I get mine.
dramatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #1458
dramatime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczarski View Post
Happy New Year everyone. Well, I t-boned a car that pulled out in front of me last week on my 2012 KLR650. It's at the copart place, waiting for adjuster. If it's totaled, I am considering the Terra/Strada as options for replacement. It's going to be my commuter, 52 miles round trip daily. The windscreen and fuel tank on the KLR are big advantages for commuting, but I also like the "alleged" power/mpg/smoothness/stock tires of the Terra plus the option of ABS with the Strada. I will stay tuned for sure.
Almost all adjusters will put totalled for a motorcycle if it was in an accident unless u tell them otherwise but why would you. I got in an accident with mine which only the handlebars were broke and he put totalled. I was happy for that. fixed the handlebars then sold it. My friend had a klr.(the big ugly one) and was happy to get rid of it. Klrs below 08 or 09 wat have u are sweet but I don't think the main objective of a motorcycle should be based around wind protection as first priority.
dramatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #1459
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Yes, no broken bones, slowed down to 20-25mph? at time of impact. Handlebars bent forward, triple clamp tweaked, I assume forks twisted as well. Probably front rim bent as well. Minor scratches on left side fairing, shifter rod bent. Possible transmission issues?

Wow, ok, so the Strada is better wind wise. What speed to you typically cruise at?
5+ over the limit. Which for the majority of the roads I travel is 55, so I'd say 60 is typical. This wind stuff is subjective, and I'm 6'4 with a 32" inseam. I'm in the upper atmosphere compared to many riders. I also wear an Arai road helmet, I was surprised how much difference it is to some of my other helmets, mostly road. Good luck with the adjuster.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #1460
mczarski
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
5+ over the limit. Which for the majority of the roads I travel is 55, so I'd say 60 is typical. This wind stuff is subjective, and I'm 6'4 with a 32" inseam. I'm in the upper atmosphere compared to many riders. I also wear an Arai road helmet, I was surprised how much difference it is to some of my other helmets, mostly road. Good luck with the adjuster.
Ok, cool, my typical speed is 55-60 as well, I'm 6'2" , and use road helmet as well. Adjuster told me today KBB is 5000, but I should be able to use NADA , and other bikes listed for sale as well, I think?
mczarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #1461
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Ok, cool, my typical speed is 55-60 as well, I'm 6'2" , and use road helmet as well. Adjuster told me today KBB is 5000, but I should be able to use NADA , and other bikes listed for sale as well, I think?
You probably can't use other listed prices because listing doesn't really mean true value - just what the seller is desiring to get. After negotiating, the actual sale prices are probably averaging a few hundred dollars cheaper plus/minus depending on the model...
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #1462
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,260
Quote:
KBB is just a reference. At the end of the day they (and you) will look at what the replacement cost is and you get that only out of comparison shopping. If I were in your shoes, I'd start going through the classifieds - Craigslist, Cycle Trader, local paper, Flea Market, etc. - and find bikes that are comparable to yours for sale. Remember the insurance adjuster's job is to save his employer money. He does that by finding the lowest cost comparable replacements he can find to convince you your bike was only worth that much. Your job is to find the ones that best represent your loss (remember not all bikes have the same accessories and they have no way to correctly account for that, so usually they add very little value to what you could have spent thousands of $ on) and will put you on the path to buying a replacement bike with minimal (or no) out of pocket expense.

Don't be afraid to challenge their estimate. Since a lot of the ads eventually disappear, you probably want to print those you like and keep for the day you have that discussion with the insurance company.

Good luck with that and finding your replacement bike (FWIW, I test rode a TR650. If I was in the market for a dual sport single, this would be at the top of my list).

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #1463
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
So, can some of you who own this bike and have done some long rides on it tell me how comfortable the seat is? Can you sit on it all day long on the pavement without too much discomfort?
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #1464
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
So, can some of you who own this bike and have done some long rides on it tell me how comfortable the seat is? Can you sit on it all day long on the pavement without too much discomfort?
Most owners I've heard say its really good, best stock seat I've owned etc. I concur, and have had a few 6+ hour days on it. One downside is taller riders may not like the dish of the seat. I find myself pushing back against it and that becomes uncomfortable. I'm also staring to think it's getting less comfortable over time. Perhaps the foam is optimized for first impressions, and has compressed under by 275lb payload. Most every other bike I've ever owned has required a custom seat. My WR250R is stock, and I find it works well with bicycling shorts, although I don't spend as much time in that saddle as I do on the Strada.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #1465
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,331
Thumb

Quote:
Theres always one...

It's not the worst seat (eg stock DR DRZ) but it pushes me forward and is a bit hard (after a few hours) and the lump makes putting your weight over the back wheel more tricky than it should be. It really is my only gripe.

I need to drink some cement.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 09:39 PM
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #1466
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Just pull the cover up and plane the hump out of the seat and reglue the cover.

I reshaped the XCH seat the same way.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #1467
CCer
missing

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Just pull the cover up and plane the hump out of the seat and reglue the cover.

I reshaped the XCH seat the same way.
+1

I did the same, took the second tier back about 2 inches and flattened the seat out out some. I didn't like the slight crown side to side, and it still slants forward more than I'd like, but it's the best stock seat I've owned.
CCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #1468
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
We finally got our demo in the other day. It was cold but I got a 15 mile or so ride in. Man that is the smoothest single I have ever ridden! WR tranny is a little notchy but its new. Power was good from what I could tell. I was taking it easy of course. Handling was better than I expected. I'm tempted, very tempted....
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #1469
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
Thanks for the comments re the seat, guys, much appreciated. I've been riding bikes for over 40 yrs, both on and off road, and the one thing I can't figure out is how the mfgrs forgot how to make comfortable seats. Back in the 70's, seat comfort was never an issue. You could sit on them all day long and never think twice about it. One of the big differences is seats were a lot softer back then. Now they're hard as a brick and way too narrow - it's like sitting on a 2 X 4. And it's not just street bikes I'm talking about. I've raced a lot of motocross and cross country and the dirt bike seats were just as comfortable as the street bikes. Take a look at Malcom Smiths' Husky seat from the 70's and you'll see that it's much deeper than the seats of today, softer and much more comfortable to sit on, and it absolutely did not get in the way when you were standing on the pegs. The modern motorcycle seat is just ridiculous - I don't understand why the mfgrs make them like that when there is no need to.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #1470
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,331
Quote:
Thanks for the comments re the seat, guys, much appreciated. I've been riding bikes for over 40 yrs, both on and off road, and the one thing I can't figure out is how the mfgrs forgot how to make comfortable seats. Back in the 70's, seat comfort was never an issue. You could sit on them all day long and never think twice about it. One of the big differences is seats were a lot softer back then. Now they're hard as a brick and way too narrow - it's like sitting on a 2 X 4. And it's not just street bikes I'm talking about. I've raced a lot of motocross and cross country and the dirt bike seats were just as comfortable as the street bikes. Take a look at Malcom Smiths' Husky seat from the 70's and you'll see that it's much deeper than the seats of today, softer and much more comfortable to sit on, and it absolutely did not get in the way when you were standing on the pegs. The modern motorcycle seat is just ridiculous - I don't understand why the mfgrs make them like that when there is no need to.

Maybe, just maybe your body has aged and your arse has changed?

I find lots of soft seats not so good. Its a bit personal.