Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I

I have the same engine in my CJ-7......Im surprised it made it to 125k!

Other than the valve cover leaking oil it was perfect.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,513
dakota #1
125K miles traded 87
Dakota #2 bought new, no issues except divorce caused sale
dakota #3 bought with 18K sold at 125K still running AFAK. Paint fell off Block busing for distributor went bad, cost 300 to repair.
Dakota #4 fine until traded at about 50K
Dakota #5 prior savage, it is a beater truck, burns oil and the ac quit but it is a 91.

Dynasty 167K when the AC quit and I sold to a friend for their kids. Updated tranny controller and that was it.
His kids could not kill it either until the 3d wreck.

Some folks do not get along with chrysler, and I do not know why

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #18
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
96 Ram 1500 ran great , 80k miles when I traded it in on
01 Ram 2500, 82k miles, runs like a top, still own it
05 SRT-10 Ram, sold it with 24k miles, ran strong
09 Ram 1500, 50k miles today, runs strong and great.

That's 230k+ miles in Ram trucks for me so far....maybe it's just you?
If I didnt drive any more miles than you are I wouldnt sweat it too much. If you decide to keep driving that 2500 much longer get a good towing policy.

IBA 22425
Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Oddometer: 17,912
The only Chrysler I ever had was a 96 Neon I bought after driving one set up by Skip Barber.
I beat hell out of mine and it never skipped a beat.
I think it was as good or better than many cars at the time.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,911
Laugh

I am amazed anyone actually still buys Chrysler products.....

rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,258
Our 09 wrangler should have had the extended warranty.
7 front axle seal repairs
transmission repair (6speed jumping out of gear)
door hinge bushings
water pump
After the warranty ended,
radiator(?????)

All in 68 000 kilometers of driving.

Our new Ford seems like it might do better. We hope.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider1150gsadv View Post
I am amazed anyone actually still buys Chrysler products.....
One was enough for me. Mine was a '76 Aspen with a 360/904. Couldn't keep a front seal in it, even with a sleeved balancer hub. The ignition system would quit at random. The starter switch didn't work, even after replacing the switch, so I installed a pushbutton. This was after I got tired of reaching under the car with a screwdriver to start it. It lunched the 904, plus another 904, plus two 727s, the second of which came from a 1-ton van.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Bluhduh Get the Insurance If you Rent one too!

Last summer I screwed up, watched too long for traffic in one direction as I backed a trailer and creased my bumper and rear quarter panel (Chevy 2500HD). Dropped it at the body shop and picked up a 2010 Charger (full size?) rental for a week. Six days later it's raining cats and dogs when I take an exit off the LIE, it goes under an overpass and there is a puddle at the bottom that I could not see in time to avoid. Long story short(er), the Charger doesn't make it out of the puddle, Enterprise has no 'affiliates' licensed to operate on LIE so I have to pay for tow, Enterprise has no cars available in Queens on a Sunday (only took 3 hours sitting in the dead car waiting, to learn this). I call a friend and get a ride back to spend the night on my best friend's widow's couch (I was down there for the funeral). It takes 4 hours to get a car the next morning and that turns out to be a truck with less than 1/4 tank of gas. Fast forward a couple weeks, I have received my damage deposit back and been reimbursed for the tow, next day I get a bill for the Charger....$11,514.99 which covers everything under the hood (including the engine), new carpeting, loss of service time and depreciation. Fortunately my insurance company had one word for them - "Denied"! It still would have been much easier for me if I had gotten "their" insurance OR not rented a Dodge.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Other than the valve cover leaking oil it was perfect.
A CJ7 would have been an AMC product. I've been happy with both 90' YJ and my 02' TJ. But yes, the old plastic (pre-91) valve covers leak, my YJ's does I know. And the old non-adjustable AMC style rocker arms are prone to ticking, and will probably continue to do so for a few hundred thousand miles.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
You never owned one over 82k. I've got 195,000 and a little over a decade on my F150 and I've done an alternator. That's it. Ever.
What do F150s and tampons have in common?

Sooner or later every pussy gets one.

Sorry, I just love that joke.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,934
I've had a Ram as a "company vehicle" at one point and it was a piece of shit. 2500 with the cummins. I quit that job before the truck his 15,000 miles and got sick of running it to the shop.

Always entertaining to see people praising Chrysler products. Of course I've only seen it on the Internet; I've never met a real person that likes them.

edit: I take that back. I remember a neighbor that was a "Chrysler guy." He wasn't very smart.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #27
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
If I didnt drive any more miles than you are I wouldnt sweat it too much. If you decide to keep driving that 2500 much longer get a good towing policy.
Honestly, I did replace the VP-44 (fuel injection pump).
I had a Banks Ottomind engine controller on it and it fried the pump.

And fuck Banks, their "we will not void your warranty" guarantee was pure bullshit. The pump wire was pierced, so I was on my own.
And their customer service was total shit, too.
"They saw your Banks sticker and juit denied your claim.." said their customer service asshole. I didn't have any damn stickers on my truck you jerk, and you were no help at all.

I will never ever give Banks performance another penny, and I encourage any diesel power enthusiasts to look elsewhere, too.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #28
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

I'd actually like to hear that one.....start it up!
2000 SR5 V6, 5 speed bought five years ago with 55K miles. Sway bar links, gas filter, all brake lines, exhaust, shocks, struts, tailgate straps, gas filler door lock hinges all rusted off. Third gear shift fork ring worn out, massive transfer case leak. All fixed by yours truly. Check engine light comes on and off randomly, A/F sensor, O2 sensors, entire clutch replaced. Driver's door hinges worn. It now has a whopping 95K miles on it. My 60s era Fords were as bad.
hijack over.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #29
subvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
For some background I helped my mother get a Sebring back in 2004 for a crazy deal at 14,000 which was ~10k off sticker price.

Now the crazy part they just replaced the whole engine

In the past they have replaced the transmission twice, ball joints, and the full front suspension. I'm kind of curious in case anyone here has experience with Chrysler service....how much has she gotten out of the warranty?
we bought an 04 Sebring in 05 from CarMax. My wife had to have one because all her friends had convertibles.

At the time, we had a couple of friends in the car business and they advised us to buy the extended warranty on that model car. We did. Fortunately we didn't need it but kept the car for 4 years and didn't have any problems with it. Essentially, it's a Mitsubishi Eclipse (what I've been told) chassis. They have a rep for dependability I believe but our car busness friends had some experience with drive train failures in that model/timeframe.

anyway...the car began having some odd little things begin to go wrong wiyth it at about the 75K mile mark. We decided to get rid of it before it became a liability. We put it in Auto Trader and CL and didn't get a single call about it in a month. Not one call. In the meantime, we'd bought a new-ish Avalon for her so I toted the Sebring back to CarMax and they made me an offer for $500 less than what I was asking in Auto Trader. SOLD!!

I have a 2000 Ram QuadCab with the 5.9l and it's been a good vehicle. 128K on the clock and only one spendy problem in 12 years (intake manifold gasket failed) but overall, a good solid truck. I'll keep it till it wont go anymore.
subvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #30
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkBrian View Post
A CJ7 would have been an AMC product. I've been happy with both 90' YJ and my 02' TJ. But yes, the old plastic (pre-91) valve covers leak, my YJ's does I know. And the old non-adjustable AMC style rocker arms are prone to ticking, and will probably continue to do so for a few hundred thousand miles.
I had an 83 CJ7 and the 89YJ, the 83 had a shit 4 spd transmission that went out 3 or 4 times before it was out of the 12,000 mile warranty. It did seem to have more power than the 89 but I think that was because it wasnt anything but a body tub, drive train and brakes. It was the ultimate beach and mountain buggy, 400 miles to the beach with the flapping rag top was okay if you wore ear plugs, 1,000 miles to the mountains was a chore.

IBA 22425

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: