Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #46
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,095
In the 90's I was at a Honda store where we sold lots of used cars.
One time we got a dozen year old Grand Cherokees from a rental company, all the same spec.
I found it amazing that every one felt unique, and different.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #47
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
The intrepid is the one that had the longitudinally mounted engine but was FWD right? I saw that one time and just went all the inefficiency of RWD with the "fun to drive" of FWD, but then again Chrysler minus the viper (and ACR neon) wasn't really into drivers cars.
The whole "cab forward" design of those cars was interesting to say the least. It really did make for good interior room, but the engine was crammed in there in such a bizarre way I could tell from the first look that it would be a PITA to fix anything. This was the car where you had to remove a wheel to change the battery.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #48
street tracker
High, wide, and handsome

Oddometer: 1,450
That's the thing about Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep products: they vary incredibly widely, even from the same model and assembly line. Seems like a large margin for error was standard operating procedure.

My Brother had two Dodge Rams... his '97 was an awesome truck until the day it fell off a boat ramp so he bought a 99 to replace it: that one ate heater cores about once a year, but was otherwise dependable. At almost exactly the same time, a buddy bought another 99 Ram... Dodge bought this one back when the front suspension tried to fall out of it the second time.

Friend has a '00 Cherokee that she loves... after 200k miles it just had to have the transmission rebuilt. Ironically, the gearbox is a Toyota product (Aisin A340.)

http://www.gearheadsgarage.com
street tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #49
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,791
my jeep was a heep
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #50
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,839
The problem is as much as I know they suck......I still have a place in my heart for Chrysler.

Growing up we always had them and that goes back to the 1920's IIRC on my Dad's side. Plus the local dealer which had to close was great, it was one of those old small town ones where you actually know the sales guy and he wasn't an ass because he knew you'd come to him for every new car the family bought. Plus the guy taught me the ins and outs of how they (and mostly other more shady places) do sales which helped me a lot when buying my 1st car.

If they made a Charger or Challenger with the V-6 and a standard transmission I'd be all over it.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #51
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
did you guys do any research about typical Chrysler dependability before buying the car?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ler-comes-last

Chrysler is notorious for making......less than dependable cars.
I agree with you on their newer cars since probably 2000 and newer. My buddy had a Durango that had to be like an 05 or later and had it in the shop four or five times before they had to finally put a new motor in it and he sold it right away after that and bought a new F150.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #52
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,207
Dodge/Chrysler is hit and miss with their cars, but Dodge trucks seem to do much better.

I own an '08 Dakota, and with 55K on the odometer it's going strong, has never had a single issue. Not even so much as a burned out lightbulb.

My Grandfather in law had an '10 Avenger and it lasted all of six months before he unloaded it. Spent almost more time in the shop than on the road during that time.

My experience runs about the same way about Chevy, for that matter. Nice trucks, hate the cars.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #53
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Dodge/Chrysler is hit and miss with their cars, but Dodge trucks seem to do much better.

I own an '08 Dakota, and with 55K on the odometer it's going strong, has never had a single issue. Not even so much as a burned out lightbulb.

My Grandfather in law had an '10 Avenger and it lasted all of six months before he unloaded it. Spent almost more time in the shop than on the road during that time.

My experience runs about the same way about Chevy, for that matter. Nice trucks, hate the cars.
I think I'm going to push a late 2000's Accord for her. EX with all the trimmings (she really wants heated seats) and it should only be about 12-14k with ~50k miles.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #54
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
I think I'm going to push a late 2000's Accord for her. EX with all the trimmings (she really wants heated seats) and it should only be about 12-14k with ~50k miles.
Sounds about right for one of those. 50K on a Honda is practically nothing as long as regular maintenance has been kept up with.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #55
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Sounds about right for one of those. 50K on a Honda is practically nothing as long as regular maintenance has been kept up with.
Which at that age is what a few oil changes? I found one with 20k miles already for 16k! Standard transmission EX (no heated seats though). Just sent an e-mail off cause damn that looks nice.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #56
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Depends on who is "keeping up with" the maintenance. When I was at a Honda dealer I remember a relatively new Accord that was towed to us with a seized engine. Our guys asked her who had done the oil changes for it and her response was something like, "What do you mean 'oil changes'?"

adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #57
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Depends on who is "keeping up with" the maintenance. When I was at a Honda dealer I remember a relatively new Accord that was towed to us with a seized engine. Our guys asked her who had done the oil changes for it and her response was something like, "What do you mean 'oil changes'?"

True enough. I know people that could break an iron anvil with a pencil if left to their own devices.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #58
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
I know the older Dodge trucks have a great reputation for longevity as do the vans. I have a 1991 Dodge D150 4x4 4 speed with the 318 and it has 130k (almost) and no problems at all save for the fuse for the wipers blows when you turn the WS wipers on HIGH...but that is a switch. I am sure it'll go another 130k by the way it runs. It does have a new clutch and they went thru the trans and T case for safeties sake before I got it so it is good to go for many many more miles. SHoot, my 1993 F150 was on it's third motor and 4th tranny at 220K when i got it.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #59
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,031
Quote:
I still have a place in my heart for Chrysler.
So do I, and these are why:

I saw my first M37 west of Boulder, Colorado, when I was a little kid, and have LOVED them and their derivatives ever since.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #60
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Power wagons are cool, in high school I had a buddy who's old man had one and we used it. One thing that sucked though was making a 45 mile beer run. 65 horsepower and something like 5.13 gears didnt set the world on fire.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: