Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
blue01 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Need a GPS, affordable and weatherproof

I just got convinced how useful a GPS is after spending a week in an unfamiliar city with streets going everywhere and many street signs lacking. It saved our bacon a few times.
I'm in the process of planning a few weeks of riding next year throughout western Canada and the USA. As much as I would like to avoid many of the large cities, that won't be possible. And being on two wheels, we'll be guaranteed of more than a few days of rain.
I'm looking for a GPS that's under $400 and won't crap out on me if it get's wet. And there's no way I'll settle on putting a baggy over it.
What have you guys got for a GPS that'll meet my needs?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
I picked up a Garmin 60Csx with maps etc. Can't say just how good all of the software is because it's not very intuitive and won't run right on my Mac so I don't play. Mostly use it for geocaching.

as for waterproof, it's meant for handheld outdoor use and has seals around all of the access points. Says it'll survive 30 minutes in 2m of water...

I picked it, Maps 2008 and a Ram mount for 250 on Fleabay. Current Garmin 76 is very similar, but more stuff on board.
Tmaximusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
I have the Garmin Nuvi 550, short on features but it's been working in all kinds of weather for 40k miles.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ALDiGADCl9c?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 96k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Zumo 210 (or 220).
It's "version" of Nuvi 550, but "biker friendly"
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 364
another alternative

I am faced with the issue of wanting to upgrade my current gps (a Garmin Colorado) with something that is motorcycle friendly, does tracks, and feature lane guidance. The conclusion is the zumo 350LM is pretty much the only choice but I choke every time I see the price of it.

So my current line of thought is to keep th Colorado for tracks (in this capacity it is actually pretty good, it just is not really the right tool for the job of navigating in a car or on a bike on busy European streets) and buy a Nuvi 2590 or similar for a small fraction of the the price of the Zumo 350 and house the thing in a waterproof Ram case.

A few members here are running a car gps unit in an appropriate case and have had no issues. I hate having redundant articles of anything (I'm a bit of a minimalist that way) but on the other hand I just can't stomach over paying by 200 - 300 Euro. As an added bonus, you get a significantly bigger screen if you go this route too.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
I am faced with the issue of wanting to upgrade my current gps (a Garmin Colorado) with something that is motorcycle friendly, does tracks, and feature lane guidance. The conclusion is the zumo 350LM is pretty much the only choice but I choke every time I see the price of it.
At that price point you may consider a Montana. Better screen than the 350, and does tracks, has lane guidance (Nuvi mode). Rugged and waterproof.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
joon1911
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
When I bought my new BMW I got a free BMW Navigator IV which is a version of the Garmin Zumo 660 I believe. That being said, I have a practically new Garmin Zumo 220 that I have no use for. It came with maps from 2010 and a new update just became available. Garmin now offers the option for lifetime map updates for about $70.

I've probably only used the 220 maybe 4 times total as I haven't had many chances to take road trips with young'uns at home. Most of the accessories are still factory sealed. Motorcycle mount, hardwiring kit, car mount, etc. the unit is specifically motorcycle friendly so it is waterproof. If you are interested, I'd like to get $225 for it. Even paying For the lifetime maps you'd be saving $100 off retail.

Hopefully I haven't broken any forum rules by not posting this in the flea market. If so disregard and I'll post a for sale there.
joon1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
thescumbag
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have had a 60Csx since it was introduced. Love the unit and you will find that it will do more than you want it to. As far as the mac goes, I use both and have no problems with the mac. Just load BaseCamp and play around with the software and unit to figure everything out. I have used it backpacking, with a suction cup mount on the windshield, but the screen is small for this application. I am considering a Montana for use on a vehicle and the bike for this reason, but will not get rid of the 60Csx. I also use a Dakota, but like the Csx better.
thescumbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
What do you mean by it "does tracks"? The zumo 350LM will record a Track (Trip) Log and allow you to save them as a Route. But as far as I know, it does not Import or accept Tracks from another source (computer or GPS) and it can not display Tracks or navigate Tracks. Unless of course Garmin zumo Dev Team have made a major software release (miracles can happen I suppose).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Nuvi 500 been drowned and works perfectly!
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
SmellyGoatBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I see the nuvi 500 mentioned several times as a motorcycle gps. Does it have the "off road" track options that the 660/665 have?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyGoatBoy View Post
I see the nuvi 500 mentioned several times as a motorcycle gps. Does it have the "off road" track options that the 660/665 have?
I've never used a Nuvi, but as far as I know it is not suitable for riding anywhere except on roads/streets that are actually on the GPS.

I think it can record/export tracks, but not import them. That's would be deal breaker for me, even for street riding.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
findlj
How much fun is that

Oddometer: 87
The Nuvi 500 comes loaded with Topo maps.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #14
kalaharigeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Nuvi 2590 or similar for a small fraction of the the price of the Zumo 350 and house the thing in a waterproof Ram case.
This is precisely what I did for a comprehensive tour of the UK, Europe, Turkey and Iran. I had no problems whatsoever.
kalaharigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote