ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #31
nick77
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Barber for a n00b... This place is magical, take your time. It is like Disney Land of the moto world. find a place in the grass overlooking the the track and enjoy.
Good Posting.
nick77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #32
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
custmmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Leeds, AL
Oddometer: 344
Don't forget your camera...

Last year I saw Dave Aldana (On Any Sunday) come walking through the swap meet area. Really nice guy.

Barber Employees get bikes from the museum and ride them around the perimeter road.

I would recommend at least one ride around the perimeter road on the tram to get a good perspective of the whole facility.
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #33
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it
 
Al Tuna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Moran Nation
Oddometer: 11,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc View Post
Don't forget your camera...

Last year I saw Dave Aldana (On Any Sunday) come walking through the swap meet area. Really nice guy.

Barber Employees get bikes from the museum and ride them around the perimeter road.

I would recommend at least one ride around the perimeter road on a honda trail 110 to get a good perspective of the whole facility.
Fixt.
__________________
Southeast Weather Map

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #34
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it
 
Al Tuna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Moran Nation
Oddometer: 11,701
custmmc, the tram statement is a tad misleading. Everyone can ride there own bikes all around barber. If I had to ride a tram... I would not attend.
__________________
Southeast Weather Map

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #35
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!
 
flux_capacitor's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Cumming GA
Oddometer: 9,614
We will be staying at my sisters apt in Inverness. The hotels that are still available are $$$.

I just hope the entrance traffic is better than last year. Several overheated bikes along the road made it look like a scene from "the Walking Dead". Ok maybe not THAT bad lol. We will be getting there earlier this time.

Y'all look for me to be hanging out in the Apex Cycle Shop booth some of the time. I drew a few shirts for him this year.

If anyone has an emergency if some sort pm me as my sister lives there.

Looking forward to it!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #36
Mr_Wilson
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Bell Buckle, TN
Oddometer: 116
The Wilson's will be attending, my 4th year. I may be scoping out my next project, sold my R26 last year.
__________________
2012 BMW F650GS
Gold Rush, Advrider Style
Mr_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #37
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 1,355
Cool2 Sunday

I would recommend saving the museum for Sunday, the other things are slowing down (races, swap meet etc) and the museum is less crowded. Most people are leaving Sunday, so you can take your time and see more.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #38
deaconjones
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deaconjones's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West TN
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
custmmc, the tram statement is a tad misleading. Everyone can ride there own bikes all around barber. If I had to ride a tram... I would not attend.
The tram is way more convenient for getting around once you park the bike - no looking for a place to park, no fooling with helmets or jackets - just hop on or off at different vantage points.
__________________
1978 R100RS
1979 T140 Bonne
1996 KTM 360 EXC (To Ebay in pieces!)
2000 KX 250
deaconjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #39
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
custmmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Leeds, AL
Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
custmmc, the tram statement is a tad misleading. Everyone can ride there own bikes all around barber. If I had to ride a tram... I would not attend.

I guess that I wasn't clear on what I meant. I like to ride the tram at least once and be able to look at the bikes and location of things in the park without having to focus on not running into something. Of course there is the trade-off of not being able to stop at any location, but I just use it to get a general overview at a relaxed pace. Plus I have met some pretty cool people on the tram.

But...if someone is looking to purchase a CT90 so they do not have to ride the tram, come to swap meet site K3.
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #40
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!
 
Madhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Cantonment Florida
Oddometer: 3,126
+1 on the tram.
Ron, hope to run into you at Barbers.
Riding up Friday with a few P'cola and Mobile riders on Friday.


Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc View Post
I guess that I wasn't clear on what I meant. I like to ride the tram at least once and be able to look at the bikes and location of things in the park without having to focus on not running into something. Of course there is the trade-off of not being able to stop at any location, but I just use it to get a general overview at a relaxed pace. Plus I have met some pretty cool people on the tram.

But...if someone is looking to purchase a CT90 so they do not have to ride the tram, come to swap meet site K3.
__________________
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #41
AST236
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
+1 on the tram.
Ron, hope to run into you at Barbers.
Riding up Friday with a few P'cola and Mobile riders on Friday.
What route are you taking up Friday? I might be able to join you for breakfast. I'm not planning to come up until Saturday.
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #42
Moto-Kafe OP
Gnarly Entre-manure
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Heart of Dixie........Alabamie
Oddometer: 475
Saturday/Sunday arrivals: I'd advise everyone to get to the track earlier than 9:30-10:00AM either days......the traffic on Barber Blvd backs up almost to Rex Lake Road....it is Horrendous, but does move constantly, albiet at a slow rate. Just a word of caution..........
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #43
AST236
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Saturday/Sunday arrivals: I'd advise everyone to get to the track earlier than 9:30-10:00AM either days......the traffic on Barber Blvd backs up almost to Rex Lake Road....it is Horrendous, but does move constantly, albiet at a slow rate. Just a word of caution..........
Excellent advice. I hit the traffic on my R1150GS last year and it was not a happy air/oilhead when we finally got through the gate.

Maybe one day they'll do a dedicated bike lane for the entrance?!
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #44
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!
 
flux_capacitor's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Cumming GA
Oddometer: 9,614
AST236, my thoughts EXACTLY. Why they don't have a dedicated bike lane is beyond me.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #45
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 1,355
Bluhduh traffic

I heard a rumor that they had plans to mitigate the "bike boiling in traffic" problem. I hope it was true.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014