ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #46
Moto-Kafe OP
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
I heard a rumor that they had plans to mitigate the "bike boiling in traffic" problem. I hope it was true.
Yes.........they've added some river crossings on Barber Blvd and "quench" you with a Fire Hose just in front of the Museum.............
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #47
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
I heard a rumor that they had plans to mitigate the "bike boiling in traffic" problem. I hope it was true.
That would be nice. My bike wasn't very happy and I saw several other riders fighting overheating issues w/ theirs as well.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #48
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 390
+1 for another one who loves the tram. This is the only bike race that I've always caged it to. Bring a chair and a cooler (will they still let you bring beer in?) and lazily check out the track from different spots. Perfect.

Flux I want one of the airhead t-shirts you designed--where Wes's tent going to be set up?

PS: The I-20 slog and line getting in/out is also tolerable with A/C and tunes
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #49
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
+1 for another one who loves the tram. This is the only bike race that I've always caged it to. Bring a chair and a cooler (will they still let you bring beer in?) and lazily check out the track from different spots. Perfect.

Flux I want one of the airhead t-shirts you designed--where Wes's tent going to be set up?

PS: The I-20 slog and line getting in/out is also tolerable with A/C and tunes
Not too sure but ill find out. Hope to see you there, cager. Lol.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #50
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Thumb

I'll probably arrive early Friday afternoon & am moteling it. Seems like I read in another thread that the ADV'ers are camping in Tentsite B........anybody confirm that?
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #51
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,153
Is it any better coming in the backway and not from the interstate? Our hotel is down 280 south of 459 loop and I was thinking of coming up from Grants Mill Road...
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #52
Moto-Kafe OP
Gnarly Entre-manure

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Is it any better coming in the backway and not from the interstate? Our hotel is down 280 south of 459 loop and I was thinking of coming up from Grants Mill Road...
That's the way I always go (I live near 280)...........like you said, head East (?) on 119 and turn left onto Grants Mill Road........come to a 4 way stop intersection and turn right onto Rex Lake Road (watch yer speed here!!!!!)......Barber's will be a few miles down the road. Instead of turning left onto Grants Mill, you can continue further a few miles and the turn left onto Zeigler Road (there is a gas station/zippymart at the Zeigler turn).........comes out on Rex Lake Road about 1 mile from the track entrance.

BTW.........I have a KLR650 aftermarket pipe I'm bringing out to sell.........Vendor Spot H-30. Come by and say hello.........look for the ZRXOA Flag above the canopy.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #53
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
That's the way I always go (I live near 280)...........like you said, head East (?) on 119 and turn left onto Grants Mill Road........come to a 4 way stop intersection and turn right onto Rex Lake Road (watch yer speed here!!!!!)......Barber's will be a few miles down the road. Instead of turning left onto Grants Mill, you can continue further a few miles and the turn left onto Zeigler Road (there is a gas station/zippymart at the Zeigler turn).........comes out on Rex Lake Road about 1 mile from the track entrance.

BTW.........I have a KLR650 aftermarket pipe I'm bringing out to sell.........Vendor Spot H-30. Come by and say hello.........look for the ZRXOA Flag above the canopy.
Hmm... I happen to have a KLR...

I have family in Mountain Brook and have explored some of these backroads on previous trips... We ended up getting a room right behind Superior Grill, so it's more of a straight shot to go the back way...
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #54
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
anyone ever try the powerline trail that runs over from 119. Comes out right in front of the track entrance.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #55
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
anyone ever try the powerline trail that runs over from 119. Comes out right in front of the track entrance.
I saw that trail leaving Barber in my Jeep a few weeks ago and the guys with me tried to talk me into trying to make it up the hill... I didn't (try)...
Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #56
Moto-Kafe OP
Gnarly Entre-manure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I believe there is Road Construction going on directly in front of the Barber Entrance........they are making part of Rex Lake Road a 4-Lane (maybe all the way to the I-20 intersection where the gas station sits??). This construction took a bite out of that Power-Line Easement.........but yes, I've seen where you speak.........never ridden it tho.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #57
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Hmm... I happen to have a KLR...

I have family in Mountain Brook and have explored some of these backroads on previous trips... We ended up getting a room right behind Superior Grill, so it's more of a straight shot to go the back way...
You might consider Blue Lake to Sicard Hollow!
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #58
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 15,238
I plan on being there Sat/Sun, only thing that will keep me away is whatever plague Hawk son brought home from school. Currently he and The Hottie are both sick, I have a feeling I am next
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #59
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,882
FYI.. It is a good idea to purchase your ticket online and print it out to bring to the track. Will save you some time in the traffic lines.

I'll be there Friday and Saturday.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #60
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Thumb

My third straight year going down to Barber & it never gets old. Lots of great like minded folks & too many shiny things to take in. Giving serious thought to driving down & bringing a trailer next time. Seems like I always see something I would like to buy & have no way to get it home. There was a pretty good looking R90 that was calling my name this time.

Had a good ride down from W. KY....took 22 from Martin, TN & had a steady rain until about Shiloh. Traffic was pretty light so no biggie. Ran across Mississippi on 72 then 157 into Cullman and then down to Oneonta, Moody, Leeds, etc. Lots of pretty country through there. Lollygagged my way down & didn't really hit any traffic until I got near 280...had plenty after that. I've stayed at the same hotel on 280 just outside of 459 every time down....but gonna look north of Leeds next time. Screw the traffic on 280.

Made it out to Barber around 8:30 Saturday & this is about the first guy I see.

Think he was buying instead of selling A little later I made my way around to his booth just as he was leaving for the track and the event they had for the bikes there that had participated in the Cannonball Run.

Just as Doug is pulling out the guy next to me yells for him to stop for a picture. He turns to him and says "Five Dollars" You left too soon man...dude was digging for his wallet! I hung out with Poly for a few & had a nice chat with her. She was sure sticking to her guns on prices...those guys weren't having any luck bargaining with her! Always good to see you...hope you sold more than you bought at the swap meet.

Spent the rest of the afternoon just relaxing & people watching...made a couple of new friends. Another good year at Barber. Headed home Sunday morning in light traffic & good weather until I found this around Iuka, MS

Got hammered for about 25 miles & then rode out of it....all good the rest of the way except for some crazy wind. If you find yourself in Adamsville, TN the Saw Meal restaurant is well worth a stop. Till next year.
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is online now   Reply With Quote