Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Miltonkid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
19 days, 33 states and 10,045 miles on a...

Still interested in a ride report?

www.facebook.com/motorcyclingadventures
Miltonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Was it a ride? If "Yes", then yes.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Miltonkid OP
Adventurer

Day 1

When I bought my 14 Street Glide Special back in March I decided I would take a trip of a lifetime on it. I mean why not if I could fine the time off and get support for my wife with our 2 kids, a 14 year old and a 9 year old. When I finally nailed down my vacation time it happened to be durning Sturgis so that was a no brainer to hit that rally as I have never been it is has been on my bucket list forever. My planning started to revolve around that, I looked into things I could do and places to see around there and they added up quickly.

Adding to the planning I wanted to camp along the way to keep costs down knowing that 3 weeks on the road wouldn't be free. I compiled my motocamping kits and was able to try out on a week trip with my wife down the Skyline and BRP in July. It worked great so with that set the bike serviced I was good to go for early launch on July 28th!

Of course like every trip I've taken I left NH in this...

I hit rain MA near Worchester and I rained all the way until somewhere in Ohio. When I say rain I'm not talking about a shower off and on I'm talking about rain forest shit! I mean it poured. I would pull off I90 to get gas and people would comment that I was crazy riding in that. I didn't have the luxury of time with a lot to see in a short amount of time so I rode on. At one point my stage 1 air clearer (Screaming Eagle kit using the stock cover) became saturated with water and I couldn't give it full throttle without is bogging down. Luckily my HD rain gear and boots performed flawlessly, but my HD Gortex gloves not so much. They were good for a couple of hours but then I felt the cold rain seeping in. I ended up going to Cabellas and buying a pair of Neoprene Fishing gloves which seem to work good but luckily I never hit rain like that the rest of the trip.

I finally had to warm up from the inside and then plugged in my HD heated jacket liner.

After warming up I cranked out the rest of day with this for my ending day 1 mileage...

I hit a hotel after this high mileage run...I figured I earned it. I had thought about doing an Iron Butt Saddle Sore but decided that I didn't need a certificate to prove how far I rode. Not to take anything away from those of you who documented your rides for the Iron Butt but I just didn't need/want to do that this time.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
orbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
That's a pretty big first day. Hopefully the rain is behind you.
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Miltonkid OP
Adventurer

Day 2

Woke up, loaded up and grabbed breakfast!

After all that interstate yesterday I opted to stay off it as I traveled along Lake Michigan towards Chicago. Unfortunately I would have to jump back on as my plan for the day was to hit the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee WS. Explored Chicago for a bit then back on the interstate for the quick run to the museum. I saw more police presence in this stretch then anywhere else during my trip.

Lake Michigan

Side note on routing- My bike has a gps built in which I used if not for routing then as a visual aid and would use my iphone with the CoPilot app. I can't change routing on the HD navigation on the fly like the app. Although I used the scenic setting quite a few times which kept me off the interstate.

Made it to the HD Museum and parked. This was a very cool place and I learned quite a bit while while walking through it. Whether you like Harley's or not it's a worthwhile stop if you are in the area.

Wall of tanks

Wall of motors

Corporate Headquarters a few miles away.

After leaving there I ran into another interesting spot right around the corner...

I went for the tour!

Had just a couple of samples and the was off shooting for Madison WS for the night.

The route- and the least amount of miles for the trip.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Miltonkid OP
Adventurer

Day 3

I ended up grabbing another hotel the night of day 2 as it looked like it was going to pour according to the radar but it skirted around me.

Day 3 I grabbed the hotel breakfast and was off. I used my bikes gps putting in a town I wanted to make it to and hit scenic route. Which wasn't very scenic but it wasn't interstate either.

Not a very exciting day but I was on my bike, in the wind and NOT at work so all in all a great day!

Made it to a KOA for the night and my 1st of 13 nights camping. The staff were awesome and the site cost me a whopping $10.

I woman who has a seasonal spot there walked over and we talked about my trip. She was very nice and was also going to Sturgis She brought over a map and we talked about must ride roads and places to see. The next morning as I was packing up she brought me over a coffee. I can't remember her name but she was the nicest person I met on the entire trip.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltonkid View Post

Still interested in a ride report?
Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
Miltonkid OP
Adventurer

Day 4

Day 4 was an interstate day as I wanted to hit the Black Hills.

First stop if the day!

The Badlands was an amazing place....nothing I'd ever seen before.

Next stop...I needed sun block!

I didn't spend too much time here. Grabbed the sunblock and I was off!

Made it Rapid City HD and walked around the vendor area.

Need a new bike?

A turbo kit would be nice for those when you really have to be there moments!

Rode by Rushmore before hitting the KOA in Hill City. They had a crazy downpour just before I arrived and riding up to the the tent site has entertaining! This was the first and last time I set up my Kelty Noah Tarp. It was more of a PITA then it's worth for me and one more thing I had to set up and tear down every day.

I settled in listening to kids run and yell until I fell asleep,

Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
StrokedNBored
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
who says you cant ride far on a HD?

nice trip!
IBA #56441
48 states in 10 days ||BunBurner1500 ||Austin to the Arctic

Sanity is a relative term, and my relatives haven't accused me of having any lately.
StrokedNBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Miltonkid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedNBored View Post
who says you cant ride far on a HD?

nice trip!
I'm not quite in your league but it's a start!

Old 08-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 782
Excellent - more please!

Wish there were more H-D ride reports. Just because a ride isn't on a dual sport or dirt bike doesn't make it not an adventure!

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
srhayes
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Great report so far, thanks! Good looking bike too!
srhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
Miltonkid OP
Adventurer

Day 5

Stayed the night camping at the KOA in Hill City SD so I could hit all the good Black Hills riding early before it became crowded. It was a good plan.

Iron Mountain Road
Needles Highway
Custer State Park
Crazy Horse
Deadwood
Spearfish Canyon Rd

Finished the day at Sturgis and camped at the Buffalo Chip!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
Miltonkid OP
Adventurer

Day 6

As much as I wanted to stay in Sturgis another night I wanted to see other things more!

I packed up and left the Buffalo Chip and headed out with a first stop of the day being Devils Tower.

No thanks!

Ahhh...back roads!

Looking for some real estate?

Took RT 14 across Wyoming to the Big Horn Mountains then 14a. Ran into this kid who was I was following or followed by all day. I can't remember his name but he was riding to Oregon from PA and did some pretty long days himself. We tales for a few minutes about our trips. He was actually stealth camping since he left but was concerned about the bears out west and going to be looking for a more conventional spot that night. This kid in his early 20's maybe, was on a true adventure my hat was off to him! We wished each other a safe trip and I left heading to Red Lodge MT where I would find a place to camp.

Made it Red Lodge and figured I'd head up the Beartooth Pass Highway and find a place to camp.

The first few camping spots were full so I continued on as it began to rain.

Found a campground with a site! YESSSSSS.

Then it started to rain again. So I set up quick then hung out inside my tent until it stopped a short time later. It was a long day and I was hungry so....

Cooked away from my site as the Grizzly Country signs everywhere were a bit concerning.

This was the day before...

It got down in the mid 30's that night and despite my 30 degree sleeping bag, thermal underwear and my leather jacket it was freezing. Between that and noises I kept hearing that I swore were grizzlies I didn't sleep but maybe a couple of hours.

Nice little lake at the campground.

Still a great day!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #15
Miltonkid OP
Adventurer

Day 7

After thawing out by way of my heated jacket liner on max for about an hour I was feeling pretty good! I headed out and finished out the Beartooth Highway and picked up Chief Joseph Highway back to Cody WY then into Yellowstone. That was a norther great stretch of road as was the ride into Yellowstone. Once inside the park I wasn't as impressed. A lot to do with the traffic and the awesome scenery I've seen up to this point. I made my through the park then headed south in the Grand Tetons NP but with the line painting operation going on and the accompanied traffic didn't go all the way down and turned back heading to Old Faithful. Waited the hour for that then headed out the west exit and then north. I ended up staying at a KOA in Bozeman MT.

Made it to the KOA in Bozeman and set up next to a giant Class A RV . The couple were nice and from Southern Utah. We talked for a bit about my trip then the husband broke out the map!! We talked about Utah and my original plan which was to just hit Arches NP. He told me that Bryce Canyon and Zion were definitely spots to visit so I added them to my list and reworked my trip. I happened to be a day ahead at this point because I didn't stay that extra night in Sturgis. The next day my plan was to hit Glacier NP and the Road to the Sun! I grabbed a pizza and a couple of beers at the recommended Pizza Spot near the campground then hit the sack.

Miltonkid screwed with this post 08-21-2014 at 09:05 AM