Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #1636
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
IMHO: Make 1st place 'pay' ten points over 2nd...
second 'pay' 5 points over 3rd...

Then I think you'd see more people willing to challenge for the lead. Otherwise it's too much risk for the reward.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #1637
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Anyone know what happened to Short. 2nd in a heat and then 19th in the main?
If you watch the replay on the previous page. You'll see him wash out the front in one of the 180 turns at 5:29.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #1638
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
So is it race what ya brung, hair on fire racing, everyone welcome or are they now running a point spreadsheet in their heads while whipping a triple to win the "series"? I can't keep up.

Every one of those guys that lined up wanted to win. They are racers.

They are racers turned businessmen. Listen to them talk compared to how they were when they first got to the top level, they still want to win but it's not the driving force it was. I thought Barcia would be a motivator and win at all cost racer but the last few races he doesn't seem to have that.

The top 7 guys are so good they know exactly where the edge is and can run right on it lap after lap. They have learned they lose big if they push past their edge.

Still a great show but the ones still with a chance at winning the series are running the spreadsheet in their heads while riding on a different level than the second tier guys.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #1639
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
They are racers turned businessmen. Listen to them talk compared to how they were when they first got to the top level, they still want to win but it's not the driving force it was. I thought Barcia would be a motivator and win at all cost racer but the last few races he doesn't seem to have that.

The top 7 guys are so good they know exactly where the edge is and can run right on it lap after lap. They have learned they lose big if they push past their edge.

Still a great show but the ones still with a chance at winning the series are running the spreadsheet in their heads while riding on a different level than the second tier guys.

The following was posted on another site. There was no source provided and I have no idea if there is any truth to it. Copy & Paste as follows:

"I heard a rumour that the AMA put $100,000 to each rider that finishes in the top ten and finishes all ofthe races.

I guess last year viewers tuned out after all of the stars were knocked out."
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #1640
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,335
Quote:

Barcia has slammed the ground often enough and hard enough this season to de-tune most anybody.
Hitting one's face on a triple clamp will do that.

These Supercross tracks can bite a guy quicker then quick,one false move and its jackhammer time.
Gotta finish to win the thing,especially the Championship.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #1641
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Quote:
So is it race what ya brung, hair on fire racing, everyone welcome or are they now running a point spreadsheet in their heads while whipping a triple to win the "series"? I can't keep up.

Every one of those guys that lined up wanted to win. They are racers.
+1
...and its gonna come down to the wire at the end. No one wants to look back and think, "if I only...?"

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #1642
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Exactly.

Watch the race again, James had 20 laps to pull away and could not do it. He is extremely dangerous to pass, Villipoto has been hurt too many times.

James has a long history of auguring in when he can't shake the guy behind him. Odds were he wasn't going to make it to the finish line, odds just didn't go in Villipoto's favor.

James didnt need to pull away,he only needed to win. When Stewart is on the bubble and everything is working right hes the fastest guy out there no questions asked.

Villipoto has done his share of crashing this year,trying to pass James could end badly.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #1643
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
James didnt need to pull away,he only needed to win. When Stewart is on the bubble and everything is working right hes the fastest guy out there no questions asked.

Villipoto has done his share of crashing this year,trying to pass James could end badly.
Agree. And Stewart is pretty much out of the championship race so Villipoto didn't really need to beat him, 3 extra points would have been nice but maybe not worth the risk.

History says both of these guys can go quicker, but they seem to have elected not to, they both had good positions and know how dangerous it is to push each other.

Millsaps is fast this year but I don't believe he can beat Villipoto heads up. I think Villipoto is banking on Millsaps having a bad day before the season is over, it is extremely rare for a racer not to have at least one bad race during a season and Millsaps hasn't had his yet. And he may not but odds are he will, but maybe not.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #1644
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,278
So if we use that same train of thought, Stewart may just as well have let RV pass him. He had nothing to gain by beating him..............other than beating him!
I think you guys are wrong in saying that these guys are riding conservatively. There is nothing conservative about it and they are probably riding at 95+% all the time. They are just so smooth that they can absolutely fly without looking out of control. We can't comprehend their skill and smoothness, so it's pointless to speculate here.
Just watch the start of the main. JS and RV (and everyone else) were each going all out and RV almost got punted off the track in the first turn. If that's conservative, then I am

BTW, when you are 2 laps down, you are not racing anymore and are just riding. GTF off the track!!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #1645
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,198
Quote:
So if we use that same train of thought, Stewart may just as well have let RV pass him. He had nothing to gain by beating him..............other than beating him!
RV,or any of the factory riders, have tens of thousands of reason$ they would rather win than take second.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #1646
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
RV,or any of the factory riders, have tens of thousands of reason$ they would rather win than take second.
Yup,bonus from their team to win,prize money for 1st,and the ego/confidence boost that right now James probably needs more then Ryan does.
Im hoping Tomac and Dungey can run up front next race just to mix it up again,its a great season when different guys are getting to the front regularly. If Stewart gets on a tear though he can embarass all of them.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #1647
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Stewart took two points from Villopoto.Make a track you could pass on and then see what happens.How many are Supercross only?Stewart?Reed?You can thank McGrath for the "Stupidcross only" contracts.The KTM team Mookie rides for(250) is said to be folding after the west is done.How many more?If someone doesnt fix alot of problems with this series,there wont be many riders left.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #1648
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Im hoping Tomac and Dungey can run up front next race.
Is Tomac racing the 450 for all the East races?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #1649
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Agree. And Stewart is pretty much out of the championship race so Villipoto didn't really need to beat him, 3 extra points would have been nice but maybe not worth the risk.

History says both of these guys can go quicker, but they seem to have elected not to, they both had good positions and know how dangerous it is to push each other.

Millsaps is fast this year but I don't believe he can beat Villipoto heads up. I think Villipoto is banking on Millsaps having a bad day before the season is over, it is extremely rare for a racer not to have at least one bad race during a season and Millsaps hasn't had his yet. And he may not but odds are he will, but maybe not.

Sometimes when they interview Ryan V he seems distracted,almost like he would rather not be there. He's said this bike racing thing isnt everything for him.
Hes been at it a long time and running harder and harder all the time wears some guys out.

Some of the races hes done this year where hes making one mistake after the other,running off track,falling down just dont seem like him.
But once he gets the lead hes like an automaton just banging fast laps.
Hes real good no matter what.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #1650
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Is Tomac racing the 450 for all the East races?
I think he plans to do that,not sure. He is fun to watch for sure,fearless and likes to pin it.