Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #286
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Two quotes from the vid that say it all.

Stewart- "My style is impeccable".

RV- "When it comes to racing, I'm decent".

They were both laughing when they said those. Jokes, take them that way.

Three more days and it's on!

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #287
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
They were both laughing when they said those. Jokes, take them that way.

Three more days and it's on!

Stewart was laughing way more than RV. RV was just stating it as a modest fact, but I feel that there is a bit of truth in both their minds for the statements they made. Even jokingly I don't think RV would ever say his riding was impeccable. I have high hopes for Stewart this year. We shall see.

And actually guys, I would be much happier if it was Les Mis. Even just the movie!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #288
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash217 View Post
I went to the Coloseum race in 90 as well. We caught the red eye flight back to OK and while waiting in the Chicago airport someone walked up and asked me if i liked MX. Obviously they noticed my super awesome hot pink AMA Supercross hat that my dad had gotten me at the race. Who asked me this you're wondering i'm sure. I turned around and was star struck and speechless. It was Rick Johnson! I had to run over to my mom a few yard away, and get a pen from her. Rick gave me a sticker (that i still have) and autographed the back. Instant fan for life.
I guess like anyone else it's all about how/whne you catch them and first impressions. We saw Rick Johnson at AMA Vintage Days in 2007 when the AMA had a all time great champions type race and all the usual suspects were there. Lackey, Croft, Smith, Hansen, Weinert, Tripes, Jones, etc etc as was Rick Johnson. He was somewhat aloof and while approachable he almost made it seem like he was doing you a favor just by being borne. Most of those guys are just as friendly as can be at this stage of the game. Rick Johnson seemed a bit condescending but obviously thats not always the case.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #289
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash217 View Post
I was a huge Wardy fan until 91. He was short, had freckles and rode kawasaki... Just like me. I went to Coloseum for the last round of SX. I was wandering around the pits getting autographs (it was way easier back in the day) Jeff wouldn't give people the time of day for whatever reason. Every time I walked by or saw him coming back to the semi he would just dissappear into the trailer. I spotted him up top changing and someone in the crowd yelled "Hey Jeff, come on down and sign some autographs for the kids." He just looked up and flipped the bird.

I used to dislike Reed, until I got to do some work with the now defunct Wonder Warthog race team. Orlando '07; I got to bring my wife to the race (she is a huge Reed Fan) I went to that race expecting my take away highlight was going to be standing on the track for RC's last ever supercross race. What I got to take away that made a lasting impression was after the race, I gave my wife a Reed shirt and took her over to his semi. He was standing behind the rig having a meeting with Larry Brooks and someone else. (he had just finished third and he and larry looked upset) Chad saw my wife and a mother and child standing there, told Larry to hang on and came over and signed their autographs, posed for a picture and then went back to his meeting. Respect Dude.

I went to the Coloseum race in 90 as well. We caught the red eye flight back to OK and while waiting in the Chicago airport someone walked up and asked me if i liked MX. Obviously they noticed my super awesome hot pink AMA Supercross hat that my dad had gotten me at the race. Who asked me this you're wondering i'm sure. I turned around and was star struck and speechless. It was Rick Johnson! I had to run over to my mom a few yard away, and get a pen from her. Rick gave me a sticker (that i still have) and autographed the back. Instant fan for life.

JMB was a god on a motorcycle, He and Stanton didn't see eye to eye because Stanton worked so hard for it, Bayle didn't work nearly as hard as anyone else. He frequently went AWOL during testing/training sessions and would be goofing off on the cliffs around the track, or doing huge burnouts along the hill side carving his initials into it.

What was mentioned from the DeCoster interview a few pages back rings true. The guys who are fast, are going to be fast no matter what they are on. I get to ride with Guy Cooper alot and he's 50 years old and can still rock around a track just as quickly as any local pro for a few laps at a time. He even skunked everyone at this years ISDT Reunion ride. On a 70's Penton 400! Mind you, the top 5-10 guys at those races are still legitimate AA riders and usually on modern to semi modern equipment. And he spanked them all on that damn old Penton.
I guess these guys are human and everyone has bad days. I've heard stories of riders blowing people off from just about all of them - Stewart, Reed, RV, Dungey, and so on down the line. Hopefully those stories are the rare cases, and most of the times I think they all go out of their way to appreciate their fans. But everyone has a bad day every now and then.

At the '08 SX finally in Vegas (I think it was '08), my wife went to get in line to get Windham's autograph. I think she was really in line for a hug, but she used autograph as an excuse, so I pretended I believed it. Lol

Anyway, while she was doing that, I had brought my brand new KTM hand guard with me to get it signed by the current KTM factory rider at the time, which was Nick Wey. I'm no fan boy or anything, but I figured it'd be cool to have the KTM handguard signed by the KTM factory rider. So I went over to KTM's pit, and one of their guys was there, hardly anyone else was around, so I got his attention while standing behind the barricade thing, and he came over, I told him it was my birthday, which it was, and if he could have Nick sign my hand guard. He said he'd see what he could do, so I waited for 5 or 10 minutes or so, starting to get bored and about to leave, when Wey came out of the trailer, he walked right over, signed some girl's hat, and standing not 2 feet from me, I asked if he would sign my hand guard. He had a sharpie in his hand, would have taken 3 seconds. He looked me in the eye and said, "Sorry, I have to go do a thing." And walked off.

Well, ok. Whatever. No KTM Factory Rider signature on my brand new KTM hand guard on my birthday for me.

So, I was about to walk back to the Windham tent, and I happen to look over between haulers and it takes me a second to recognize Ricky Carmichael standing there in deep conversation with some dude, maybe an assistant, or friend, I don't know. I contemplate not bothering him after having just been blown off by a guy who struggles to make the top 15, surely the GOAT (yes the GOAT), would not even acknowledge my presence. But to heck with it, I walk up, introduce myself, and ask if he would mind taking a photo with me. He stopped what he was doing, and said, sure, no problem man. I was alone, so it was self-portrait style, but I seriously appreciated him taking a moment. If I had been thinking straight, I would have asked him to sign my KTM handguard, but I forgot. After that, people starting recognizing him, and he got swarmed with people wanting the same, and he was doing the same impromptu photo for each of them as I was walking away. He wasn't eve there as a racer, he was retired, and was just there doing whatever. Way cool.

Anyway, went back to the Windham tent to catch up with my wife getting her "signature," lol, and he actually signed my KTM hand guard, said it was the first time he'd been asked to sign anything KTM, but sure, why not. Should have been KTM factory rider's signature on it, but that day at least, I preferred having Windham's signature on it than Wey's.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
'12 Beta EVO 2
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #290
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
He looked me in the eye and said, "Sorry, I have to go do a thing." And walked off.
probably had to run off to a LCQ.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #291
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,171
Good stories. . I got Villapoto to sign my nasty old KTM hat at Monstercross one. He was way cool and laughed about it!

It sounds dumb, but that kind of stuff means a lot to us minions. I pumped him up a bit and told him he could win the million that night. He kinda didn't say much but nodded and told me thanks.

Great guy IMO.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #292
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
We were wandering the pits @ Red bud last year when we saw Mike Brown,My buddy says"Hey its Mike Brown" and he looks at us,said "How ya doin guys" and shook our hands.Later we found John Dowd and he couldnt have been nicer.I think when you catch them has alot to do with it.We met Jay Springsteen a few years back @ Mid Ohio and at first he wouldn't sign my son's Harley helmet,saying something about signing stuff and then it appears on E-bay and he gets nothing.I assured him it was going in our collection and he signed it "To Luke"and was pretty cool after that.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #293
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Me and my dad used to go to the Pontiac Silverdome SX... seems like eons ago. That was way before digital cameras and smart phones, so I don't have any pics, but I did meet Damon Bradshaw and Jeff "Chicken" Matiasevich... both were pretty friendly. I also saw Jeff Ward drive by in a sweet looking Ferrari. During that time the factories must have been throwing tons of money at supercross because all those guys were rolling around in some pretty high end cars... Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #294
Racer111v
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I never really got the autograph thing.
Racer111v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #295
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,211
Took my oldest daugther to Unadilla when she was about 6 or 7 (this was around '89 or '90). After morning practice, went to the fence outside of Stanton's rig, and Jeff spotted my daughter on my shoulders and gave her the jersey he just wore in practice. Later she was wearing it in the pits, and Chicken Matiasevich spotted her and gave her his jersey to place over Stanton's.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #296
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
Took my oldest daugther to Unadilla when she was about 6 or 7 (this was around '89 or '90). After morning practice, went to the fence outside of Stanton's rig, and Jeff spotted my daughter on my shoulders and gave her the jersey he just wore in practice. Later she was wearing it in the pits, and Chicken Matiasevich spotted her and gave her his jersey to place over Stanton's.
That's a nice story!
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #297
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,257
I tried to get into the pits this summer at Millville but the bastard wouldn't let me in.

I really liked the open pits at Bally's in Vegas when I flew out there for the Supermoto finals in 2004. I had Ward, Henry and Filmore sign my TLD poster that I still have in my garage, Pastrana, Metzger (got him to sign my Astars hat) and those Europeans (like Eddy Seel) at the time were all there for KTM and Husaberg. Even got to sniff around Erin Bates and the umbrella girls.

D.T. screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 08:44 AM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #298
amazing ricardo
Piste Off

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Bally's in Vegas when I flew out there for the Supermoto finals in 2004.
...rio...
amazing ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #299
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,440
got to sniff around Erin Bates

Pics?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #300
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
You guys have some good autograph stories. I've only got one. 1981 CMC MX at a place called Altamont Speedway. I was riding a YZ 125 in the vets class. Brad Lackey showed up and did laps for practice. I think he was on a KX as a basic van man. He lived not far from there (Pinole?) and his buddies were all there too. Pretty laid back group. Anyway he signed an entry form for me and I gave it to my nephew. I was always a Bad Brad fan, especially when he rode that CZ.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote