Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #1171
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
Im with you riding those 500's are brutal...i wasnt including those when i was talking about old bikes (70's) once they starting making yz 465's yz490's kx500's cr500/480's the hp numbers were on a different planet
Brutal to kickstart too. I was trying to start a Maico 450 for a customer. The thing fired back at me, ripped the sole off my shoe and threw it into the bed of a pickup...

I didn't get the sale.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #1172
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Brutal to kickstart too. I was trying to start a Maico 450 for a customer. The thing fired back at me, ripped the sole off my shoe and threw it into the bed of a pickup...

I didn't get the sale.
I know the feeling, wasnt an old two stroke but had an xt500 with a basani pipe, bored to 538, mikuni 38, 81 head, and some other stuff....needless to say the decompression release was my best friend
Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #1173
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,202
Barcia will win Dallas

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #1174
B1KSOLO
1 down 4 up right?

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

I didn't get the sale.
reminds me of a 73 CR250 with the wrong plug in it,
my ankle still hurts
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #1175
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,453
So is Dallas going to be another slick track? Isn't that where Henry won the first 4str SX on the YZ400 on a blue groove? I can't wait to see Tomac on a 450, hope he is as impressive as he was in Vegas!

And IMO, the good riders through out time have always been talented, but none had the brass ones of the board track racers of the early 1900s! No brakes, no helmet, no throttle, 100mph and just a kill switch to bump and racing on a 60 degree bank of oily giant splinters!?!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #1176
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Barcia will win Dallas
If he can keep both legs on the right sides of the bike.
That was a neat save he did.
I think Dungey is just trying to survive the first half of the season in good position,then gradually kick everybody's ass.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #1177
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
reminds me of a 73 CR250 with the wrong plug in it,
my ankle still hurts
Hah! I had one of those POS bikes,the chromed kicklever would go all the way down,then fold under the low pipe,then spring out and do a full compression snap up into my calf muscle as it was fully tensed. I still wince when I think about that bike,broken frame,exploded engine,weak front end sliding handling,brittle gearbox,shocks that blew to bits,then I broke the swingarm in half.

Yeah the good old days............no thanks,the newer the better.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #1178
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
Im with you riding those 500's are brutal...i wasnt including those when i was talking about old bikes (70's) once they starting making yz 465's yz490's kx500's cr500/480's the hp numbers were on a different planet
I had a twin shock 495KTM,with some minor tuning it was a big torquey pussycat to ride,pulled smooth right off the bottom and never seemed to wear out,also had a strong top end hook that most big 2 strokes didnt have.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #1179
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
They need to bring back the 125 class and just limit the upper one to 250cc. 4t or 2t.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #1180
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
So is Dallas going to be another slick track? Isn't that where Henry won the first 4str SX on the YZ400 on a blue groove? I can't wait to see Tomac on a 450, hope he is as impressive as he was in Vegas!

And IMO, the good riders through out time have always been talented, but none had the brass ones of the board track racers of the early 1900s! No brakes, no helmet, no throttle, 100mph and just a kill switch to bump and racing on a 60 degree bank of oily giant splinters!?!
I'm thinking Henry's first win on the thumper was at Vegas.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #1181
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post

+1 on those board track racers, there is a small M/C museum near here on Route 66, there is a board track bike there set on a little section of board track, 60 degree bank. Scary just to look at that thing.

Dallas is not usually a slick track, I think they have pretty good dirt there. Last interview I saw with Tomac he sounded undecided about riding a 450, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't ride 2-3 rounds of 450 class. Like someone said, KDub's bike is just sitting there, riderless.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #1182
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
My comment was in response to a post that implied that today's riders couldn't even hang on to the bikes "real men" rode back in the day which is nonsense.
you read too much into it. my comment stemmed from me bringing up the fact that I believe Aldon Baker gets too much credit when his meal ticket wins. I noted that all time greats such as Kenny Roberts and Scott Parker made their mark (I'm assuming, maybe they did but I doubt it) without trainers.

To which someone replied "Kenny Roberts,Scotty and Jay Springsteen could never perform like Blake Baggett did last year at Redbud."

to which I replied Blake Baggett couldn't hang onto a TZ750 dirt tracker at race speeds.

No knock on him most people couldn't and you'd be stupid to even try it.

NOBODY and I mean NOBODY is a bigger fan of todays MX/SX riders than me. You have to be over 50 and have ridden the stuff we did in the 70's to understand and appreciate just how far these guys have taken the envelope of all that riding MX/SX includes and to comprehend just how fast they are going. I've stood in the first turn at Unadilla and watched 70's riders go by and I've stood in the same turn and watched Dungey and company go by.

There is no comparison.

Todays riders are light years ahead of the previous generations. I've complimented todays riders numerous times in this thread and I'm boarding a plane for Dallas on Thursday to see my first ever Supercross.

That is first this millenium we were at Montreal in 1977 when Jimmy Ellis blitzed the field on a Can Am and Terry Clark took second and our hero Pat Moroney took 3rd. You can look it up.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #1183
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Barcia will win Dallas
You spelled Villopoto wrong.

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #1184
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
Yea ,Iknow what your sayin' but get on an old KX500 with that raw untractable power and that shitty suspension and it sure felt like you were flying.
I'd like to see the comparison on a dyno between today's 450 aginst an old KX 500.
I may be old but i saw all of the pioneers of MX in person!
I believe that the last 500s that were raced in the nationals were pumping out about 70 HP give or take a couple. Todays 450s, I believe are at around 55 give or take a couple. But the trick to the 500s was to spread all of that power through out the RPM range. This wasn't always easy, and if you couldn't get it right, it could be a real handfull.
IgoFar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #1185
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
I'm thinking Henry's first win on the thumper was at Vegas.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote