Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #91
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
nice

nice report ! .... since it's my neck of the woods, some comments -

Whistler - yes, it is true, a once sleepy village with one chair lift has grown into a monster we longer recognize - or can afford .... but them yoga chicks look good !

Hells Angels - the BC chapter is not to be messsed with ............

Skagway - wow a little bigger than I remember it - spent a night in the Red Onion bar one night - is it still there .... open till 5am and then they sweep the floor and re-open !

Vancouver Island - will always be there .... hippies, lefties, not so bad

Yukon - the Call of the Wild ... Robert Service ... Lake LaBarge .... memories !!!

hwunger screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 01:53 PM
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #92
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins View Post

Canada has some majestic scenery ... but it's too cold .... when I'm done here moving to Mexico ! .... warm oceans, palm trees, cold beer and fish tacos are better than snow, ice, wet, and cold !
Old 12-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #93
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 120
C'mon, CANADA is the perfect land, 4 seasons, beautiful women, spaces, and lots of room to ride motorcycles!!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #94
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
Best Alaska Ride Report I have read on this site. Having ridden from Texas to Alaska and back you brought back great memories. Your images are also great as is your writing style.

We spend summers in Grand Marais,MN, if you are up there in summer, drop by the Municipal Campground and look for the Airstream proudly waving a TX flag on its front. Beer is on me... Just ask where Donovan is, they will know at the office.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #95
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Awesome trip, selkins! Thanks for sharing. And great photos, too!
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
http://www.facebook.com/numberonefan
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #96
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Cancun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromsavard View Post
C'mon, CANADA is the perfect land, 4 seasons, beautiful women, spaces, and lots of room to ride motorcycles!!
oh yeah ? ... then why do half the Quebeckers live in Cancun all winter long .... HA ... and the other half go to Paris
Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #97
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,375
Just found this one. Great report and stunning photos. Rode a lot of that same route in June 2012 and your pics bring back a lot of memories. Nice to see someone who does some research and finds some background to the places they visit and then talks to the locals to get the feel. It really does enhance the trip and the report.

I am tempted to head back north when they finish the road past Inuvik to Tuktoyuktuk and the Arctic Ocean but there are so many other great places to ride and see.

Canada offers some of the best mid summer riding weather compared to the rest of NA but the shoulder seasons are definitely iffy enough and left to head south.
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #98
jlambo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Outstanding ride report Selkins! Perfect combination of quality writing/photos, really enjoyed it. Regarding potential trips, I've heard folks on RTR talking about the Trans Taiga road, 660k of out and back gravel off the James Bay road. As more remote routes are paved, ADV riders are forced to go deep! Thanks for sharing, John
jlambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #99
selkins OP
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,463
Thanks for the generous comments, folks. FYI, anyone planning a trip up to the Dempster/Dawson, I highly recommend Barry Lopez's Arctic Dreams for a bring-along book. Great, great travelogue with a clear-eyed by sympathetic attitude toward the culture, history and ecology of the far North..

Hwunger: Couldn't tell you about Red Onion in Skagway. Maybe it was just the time of day, but the main drag felt pretty unreal with all of the cruise ship passengers milling about. I counted myself very fortunate that I had caught the daily ferry to Haines with little time to spare. As for the temps, I'm more oriented toward the extreme rather than middle latitudes. My current riding ideas have to do with riding the the end of all the roads that pierce the Arctic Circle

FotoTEX: I'll try to drop by the campground next time I'm up that way in summer. You've picked a great place to hang your seasonal hat. I love the Angry Trout and Gun Flint Tavern, and the variety of characters in Grand Marais is tough to beat. Kind of like a northern version of Marfa TX in some ways...

dryden_rider_54: I figure I'll probably do the Dempster again once the extension is done. It's always a bit of a crap shoot about going back to a great place or trying something new.

jlambo: The Trans Taiga is in a middling position on my m/c to-do list. The remoteness is appealing, but the lack of vertical relief in north central Quebec is a bit of a turn-off. But, like you say, remote is getting more difficult. I'm crying inside a bit that the entire Trans-Lab will be paved in a few years
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #100
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Canol

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins View Post
My current riding ideas have to do with riding the the end of all the roads that pierce the Arctic Circle
then Canol Road should be on your list ! .... ok to the NWT border but not much after that .... and of course you should to the road from Ft Nelson to Yellowknife via NWT ... all gravel