User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
PatrickM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Folding/adjustable brake and clutch levers

The OEM clutch levers are expensive and having a cheap spare is something I find prudent.

Does anyone know if something like the following will work in the 2013 F800GS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261085802194

Adjustable Folding Extendable Levers BMW F800GS 2008-2010 F650GS 2008-2010

PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,131
There are a bunch of guys selling similar levers on eBay...
I notice that in the details it says bulbs are not included ... so be sure you have some lever-bulbs on hand

Seriously... I asked the same question on another thread sometime back,
but no one would admit to having purchased any of the Chinese-Varios.

I'd ask the vendor if they will fit, I'll bet they will ... just the fitment charts are out of date they don't list anything after 2011
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
PatrickM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I notice that in the details it says bulbs are not included ... so be sure you have some lever-bulbs on hand

I'd ask the vendor if they will fit, I'll bet they will ... just the fitment charts are out of date they don't list anything after 2011
Vendor wrote back to me and said ...

"I have check the adjuster, the adapter is not suit the 2013 BMW F800GS.it is just suit the 2008-2010.
Now i give you the adapter picture, you can have a compare , if it ok, we can sent to you , if it not suit your bike, we can cancel the order and full refund to you .
Looking your early reply."

Now, without knowing anything about the different models, is it safe to presume the levers are all the same? If so, I'd be glad to finish the order and give it a go.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I'll admit it, I bought the ebay ones and have been using/evaluating them for about 3 months now.

They work for me. I've had a few positive comments on how they look. Only issue I've had, and it's a small one, is the clutch side adjuster could be a bit tighter. It has jumped to the lower setting a couple times. But I keep them on the second lowest anyway so It hasn't been an issue. The lowest setting seems not no entirely disengage the clutch, but that could by an adjustment on the cable too.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
I'll admit it, I bought the ebay ones and have been using/evaluating them for about 3 months now.

They work for me. I've had a few positive comments on how they look. Only issue I've had, and it's a small one, is the clutch side adjuster could be a bit tighter. It has jumped to the lower setting a couple times. But I keep them on the second lowest anyway so It hasn't been an issue. The lowest setting seems not no entirely disengage the clutch, but that could by an adjustment on the cable too.
Thank you for OUTTING yourself
Now... back in the closet!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Hey, you're welcome.

After all, its just a lever.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)

2Stamp screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 02:39 PM
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
PatrickM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, they fit. Definitely a lot cheaper than the BMW replacements and a bit more adjustable. They do fold up rather nicely so in the advent of a hard drop, you're a lot less likely to wreck the lever or perch.

Brake side

Untitled

And folded up

Untitled

They also extend pretty far out (just pull, no tools required)

Untitled

Clutch side extended

Untitled

And flipped up

Untitled

So basically for less than the price of one lever, I got a pair of nice "replacements" (relegating the originals to my backup parts bin) which should handle a drop a bit better than the originals.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:

I did!

I'm British and we don't manufacture anything any more, so buying from China is much more socially acceptable here.

Seriously though, I bought a set of knock Chinese ones that cost £62 delivered for the pair. Build quality is superb on them. The only slight niggling thing is that there isn't a spring (nor any way to attach one) on the brake lever, the way there is on the OE part. The consequence of this is that there is a couple of degrees of 'slack' before the brake engages. Felt really weird to begin with, but within 5 miles of riding felt normal. I don't notice it anymore, even when riding my bike back to back with a stock one. It in no way, shape or form affects "feel" when actually on the brakes or my ability to brake properly.

My bike has hit the deck about 70 times with these babies attached and I have never had a broken lever. I should point out, however, that I also have the biggest OE handguards and I also keep my switchgear loose enough that whilst it won't move during riding, a firm clout on the levers will rotate them around the bars. I just figured the fold up action would add another plane that they can remover in and slightly further decrease the chance of a broken lever. I've stopped carrying spare levers on shorter (weekend) trips, such is my faith in these now.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
PatrickM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
The only slight niggling thing is that there isn't a spring (nor any way to attach one) on the brake lever, the way there is on the OE part. The consequence of this is that there is a couple of degrees of 'slack' before the brake engages. Felt really weird to begin with, but within 5 miles of riding felt normal. I don't notice it anymore, even when riding my bike back to back with a stock one. It in no way, shape or form affects "feel" when actually on the brakes or my ability to brake properly.
On the ones I picked up, spring's weren't included, but there was a properly sized hole drilled out on the brake lever that I was able to reuse the existing spring. Yeah, I noticed the wiggle myself and it's very slight (then I got annoyed and went looking for the spring and fought the brass insert for 5 minutes).
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

On a related note:

I've not seen one yet, but apparently the new 2013 F700GS/F800GS have a dust boot and cable adjuster on the clutch lever ... not sure if the lever its self is any different or if all the changes are in the perch ...
Just kinda thinking out loud here ... I like not having to break out a pair of wrenches when I want to diddle the clutch freeplay... I'm sure BMW would want mucho bucks for a 2013 perch...
Just kinda mumbling here ... where's my coffee
Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
PatrickM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
On a related note:

I've not seen one yet, but apparently the new 2013 F700GS/F800GS have a dust boot and cable adjuster on the clutch lever ... not sure if the lever its self is any different or if all the changes are in the perch ...
Just kinda thinking out loud here ... I like not having to break out a pair of wrenches when I want to diddle the clutch freeplay... I'm sure BMW would want mucho bucks for a 2013 perch...
Just kinda mumbling here ... where's my coffee
Check out the color of that bike! Isn't that Kalamatta color awesome?!? I mean, it's new for 2013 but hey, no other bike comes close... ;)
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Searching the forum works!

Now I don't have to put my tail between my hind legs and ask if anyone used one like these. I paid about 75€ ones for the clutch lever and I don't wanna do it again. However, may I ask which one would be better? Bike is 2008 f658gs which sould not make a difference, right?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...650gs&_sacat=0

My link does not include the OP's link but you can consider it as well

lunaticTR screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 10:23 AM
lunaticTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Spare Levers

I'm glad somebody else opened this can of worms first. I just wanted some spare levers for my upcoming Death Valley ride and I could believe how much the OEM parts, and aftermarket ones were. As someone else stated, they are just freaking levers. I don't even care about the folding or adjustable part, I just want spares. I went to ebay and saw the Chinese ones and was skeptical but for 30 bucks, I will give them a whirl.

How long did it take you to get them?
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
I ordered and received Pazzo adjustable and folding levers for my 2013 F800GS, but only received my bike late last night. I'm at work now, but tomorrow and Monday I'll be starting to install all my goodies.

I haven't actually held the new levers up next to my bike yet (will do that tonight) but by memory and looks I would say that they don't fit. But before ordering them I asked the service manager at my dealership and he checked and reported that the BMW part numbers are the SAME for the levers on the 2013 model as prior models. So they SHOULD fit, but it appears there is a new cover/cap/plastic piece on the 2013 model which covers the pivot point of the levers and this might prevent the Pazzos from fitting. The lever itself might be the same, but the cover could be the problem.

In any case, I'll be able to report with certainty later tonight or early tomorrow.

I've got all week to install stuff because thanks to our snow tire law here in Quebec, I can't actually ride the bike until the 16th. SIGH. Gonna be a LONG week, that's for sure.

Cheers!

Quote:

#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
PatrickM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchdaddy View Post
I'm glad somebody else opened this can of worms first. I just wanted some spare levers for my upcoming Death Valley ride and I could believe how much the OEM parts, and aftermarket ones were. As someone else stated, they are just freaking levers. I don't even care about the folding or adjustable part, I just want spares. I went to ebay and saw the Chinese ones and was skeptical but for 30 bucks, I will give them a whirl.

How long did it take you to get them?
Hard to tell, so I had to go through my eBay auction history:

9/12 was when I won it, and 9/24 was when I posted the pictures, so we're talking within 2 weeks.