Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #16
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
the OEM hand protectors aren't that good if you want protection against weather. get some touratech or barkbuster on them.
+1 couldn't agree more
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
Stkmkt1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post

honest anwer.... i've scraped pegs on the TAT, drove through wind and rain in canada, took her up to the alps and let her breath thin air, hightailed it across the autobahn, hit every pot hole in ukraine, washboarded in across mongolia, drowned it in russia, TAT'd in across the usa, single tracked in TN and do wheelies daily.... all that in 23,000 miles and i've had to replace the rear wheel bearings.... hows that for proving these things can take the abuse...?

Guys. Am I missing something here. Only 23,000 miles on the wheel bearings? Wheel bearings should not fail for at least 200,000 or more miles. Just kidding. if you really take the time to think about all the abuse this bike has been through, it really is a testament of not only how good of bike the F800 is, but how great it is that we live during a time when we are actually able to own a vehicle that can take this abuse. And I'm talking about most motorcycles, not just this BMW. Glad I was not riding back in the '40's!
Needs: new garage (in planning) Need more room for more bikes.
Stkmkt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEROST View Post
I think I've finally decided on getting a 2013 F800 GS. What are some of the commonly reported issues with this particular model?
Are you serious? The 2013s have been out for a few weeks. If you're really concerned about issues youll need to wait. If you've read these forums youd see there are two people who have problems with the seats falling apart.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkmkt1 View Post
Guys. Am I missing something here. Only 23,000 miles on the wheel bearings? Wheel bearings should not fail for at least 200,000 or more miles. Just kidding. if you really take the time to think about all the abuse this bike has been through, it really is a testament of not only how good of bike the F800 is, but how great it is that we live during a time when we are actually able to own a vehicle that can take this abuse. And I'm talking about most motorcycles, not just this BMW. Glad I was not riding back in the '40's!
I currently have 23,000 miles on the bike and in that time my only "issue" was a wheel bearing.... keep in mind I was traversing this shit...

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Don't know about "common" since it's a new (2013) release for me but...

1. Seat seam split about 300 miles (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=19601324)
2. Fork seal leak (noticed at 1000 miles by dealer for my first service [HEY! I got it on 9/1 so two weeks ago...]). Unfortunately, there are not any in the CONUS, and about 5 sets in DE. They tried to clean it up as best they can until they get the fork seals - and no, it's a different/larger fork plus there's potentially a different tool required to change it up.
3. Highway Dirt Bike guards don't want to fit. It appears the bar ends have changed for the 2013 lineup. They're not only a different screw, but counterbored (instead of counter sunk) and longer by about 1/2"
4. With the BMW headlight protector in place, the headlight can be wiggled up and down. Not loose, just weird as I'm used to those things being locked down - solid.

The other problem is that I'm starting to spend a lot of money, again.

Motooverland skid/bash plate & top rack, Alt-Rider crash bars (which bend, and there's no exact match for "powder coat black" I'm aware of), Pivot Pegz (which help a lot!), TouraTech folding clutch lever extension (size 13 boots), folding/extendable brake/clutch levers, BMW headlight protector, Lamin-X headlight protector, Touratech rack, RAM mount for the Montana GPS, RAM mount for the GoPro, HDB protectors and top clamp, etc.

But yeah, 1000+ miles and the gas mileage is good, it's smooth (enough) on the highway, no complaints about the comfort on the seat, works well in the twisties, falls over and survives stream beds w/ baby head rocks (Anakees suck horrible in the loose).

So far... great bike.

PatrickM screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 09:20 PM Reason: Post dealer updates.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
hightest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
ABS and ASC problems

I just picked up my new 2013 F800. When you shut the ASC off the light comes on to indicate that its off but if you hit even the smallest pebble the motor goes to 1000 rpm and stays there. I cant even get it up a gravel driveway. I've almost crashed it twice because of this. I cant get the ABS to shut off at all. Can these features be programmed out of this bike all together?
hightest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #22
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightest View Post
I just picked up my new 2013 F800. When you shut the ASC off the light comes on to indicate that its off but if you hit even the smallest pebble the motor goes to 1000 rpm and stays there. I cant even get it up a gravel driveway. I've almost crashed it twice because of this. I cant get the ABS to shut off at all. Can these features be programmed out of this bike all together?
sure with a pair of cable scissors

Did you push the ABS button long enough when the bike wasn't rolling so that the like stop blinking (I think like the ASC)?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Disclaimer!!!! NOT RESPONSIBLE

But, I have a broken ABS sensor, on my 2010. Blinker Cancel doesn't work, and ABS doesn't work.

I have NO IDEA what might happen on the 2013, but you could try unplugging one of your ABS sensors.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:

But first off I would get back down to the dealer and have them check it out. Sounds like something isn't right....

Ryan
Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
hightest
Studly Adventurer

well I removed the rear wheel sensor and the bike runs great but I lost my speedometer. I guess I need to remove the front sensor instead. At least I can ride the bike till I get it back to the dealer.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
well I removed the rear wheel sensor and the bike runs great but I lost my speedometer. I guess I need to remove the front sensor instead. At least I can ride the bike till I get it back to the dealer.
odd.... I've got 20k miles without a rear abs sensor and I've always had the speedometer work...

maybe a change for 2013?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:

My rear is busted off as well, for about 11k miles, like I said, only thing that doesn't work is the blinker cancel.

The only advantage I see to removing the front is that the Odometer seems to be calibrated for the rear wheel, so it is slightly off on the mile count. Speedo seems to be fine, but odo is off.

And the factory non-ABS bikes have the rear sensor only.

What is your experience with that Motorfiets?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #28
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
My rear is busted off as well, for about 11k miles, like I said, only thing that doesn't work is the blinker cancel.

The only advantage I see to removing the front is that the Odometer seems to be calibrated for the rear wheel, so it is slightly off on the mile count. Speedo seems to be fine, but odo is off.

And the factory non-ABS bikes have the rear sensor only.

What is your experience with that Motorfiets?
well its hard to say... the speedo has always been a little off... as for the odo.... mine seems pretty accurate...

I will say however that I have a 18" rear now and it seems to have made my accuracy better uuno
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #29
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Ditto...... After my 18 inch rear install...... Speedo and gps are now the same..... As mileage is accurater as well....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
hightest
Studly Adventurer

I put the back sensor on and removed the front. My speedo works now and I can get my ASC and ABS light to stay on instead of blinking. I see there is a plug right behind the steering stem can I unplug my sensor there?