ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Okie Moto OP
GS n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Land of the Red Man
Oddometer: 17
Bumot Luggage?

So I am pretty new to ADV world and was looking for any inputs either factual or opinion based on the new Bumot Luggage for R12GS. I have looked at most of the big names (ie Jesse's, Touratech, Happy Trails, Micatech) and I had decided on Jesse's because of the Sherman Tank like qualities. I plan on spending 98% on road, but that remaining 2% is hopefully stuff like the back country discovery routes etc.

When I saw this Bumot luggage, I thought of something that might still have the sherman tank like qualities, but potentially 30-40% cheaper than Jesse's bags.

Any thoughts on their contruction?
__________________
Tree

If it hurts, you're doing it wrong.
2012 R1200GS Rallye
197? Hodaka Wombat
Okie Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?
 
Ayrshire Bull's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: North Vancouver, B.C., CA-NA-DA
Oddometer: 1,735
linkie no workie Okie...

try this instead: 2nd try,


it looks darned good - but I have no experience
__________________
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - HDT
Ayrshire Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Okie Moto OP
GS n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Land of the Red Man
Oddometer: 17
Thanks Bull,
Let me try again so I get the hang of it.

http://http://advrider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=809133

I was trying to think how I would build aluminum panniers. I am not a fabricator by trade, but I have done some fabrication and I work in manufacturing. The idea of panniers that are welded at their seams instead of riveted appeals to me. IMO.
__________________
Tree

If it hurts, you're doing it wrong.
2012 R1200GS Rallye
197? Hodaka Wombat
Okie Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Badlands (of NJ)
Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Moto View Post
So I am pretty new to ADV world and was looking for any inputs either factual or opinion based on the new Bumot Luggage for R12GS. I have looked at most of the big names (ie Jesse's, Touratech, Happy Trails, Micatech) and I had decided on Jesse's because of the Sherman Tank like qualities. I plan on spending 98% on road, but that remaining 2% is hopefully stuff like the back country discovery routes etc.

When I saw this Bumot luggage, I thought of something that might still have the sherman tank like qualities, but potentially 30-40% cheaper than Jesse's bags.

Any thoughts on their contruction?
Hi,

Good for you on researching your options. Internet - and particularly ADVrider - is an invaluable resource.

I have never seen or heard of BuMot before reading your post, but it reminds me of the Polish-made Holan equipment I had on my GS earlier this year. In a sense, if the features are as described, it should work well for you; you can figure out yourself what the set does.

The "lip" at the opening makes it more watertight and more stiff, resistant to deformation on impact. OTOH, it makes it also more difficult to remove contents, as your inside liner will get restricted by the narrower opening.

I, personally, am not too impressed with the style of latches, they are a bit fragile. Then again, everyone of the big brand names uses these, so it must be OK. My Holan case latches had lock cylinders made by SW Motech and I did not think that they would withstand prolonged exposure to dust and mud. Of course, again, it's easy to get replacements - if BuMot uses standard lock cutouts.

One thing you may want to ask the vendor (since he is live in the Vendors forum) is if you need to open both latches to open the cover. If so, that may become a hassle on the road. Also, another question is if you can remove the key if the latch is unlocked. This may be good or bad, it's rather personal preference.

Good luck - keep posting here to elicit more comments. Ask ADV inmate bulgaras (the vendor) if he could get you in touch with anyone who uses the cases - that exercise may be worth your while.

Final note: for what's worth, I had Jesse's at first on my '06 GS. Quite soon, I got rid of them: I found them too big and bulky, since my trips did not involve month-long overland passages where I'd need the kitchen sink. Then again, the real overland guys pack even lighter yet (see Sibirsky Extreme, for example).

Happy New Year!
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
XplorerMoto
Explore the World
 
XplorerMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Sonoran Desert
Oddometer: 62
Okie, here's a link to the US distributor:

www.xplorermoto.com
__________________
XplorerMoto, LLC
Tucson, AZ
www.xplorermoto.com
info@xplorermoto.com
XplorerMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014