User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #151
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Alternator Output?

Does anyone know the Alternator (stator) output rating for the new CB500's?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #152
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,764
Has anyone seen any pics of the dash layout on the 500? Did a quick search in Google images at work today, didn't see anything except the 250...
Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #153
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,777
The accessories are now on the website.

For the CB500F:

Oh, there's a pic of the dash on the 'Innovations' page.

Quote:
A full LCD blue-tinted screen features a digital speedometer and tachometer and more, including a clock, odometer, trip meter, real-time and average fuel consumption meters, and illuminated engine diagnostic indicators.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #154
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,258
Saw and sat on the three CB500's at the recent moto show. I didn't know they were making some ADV looking one, which was my least favorite. The R is very nice with a fairling and straight up bars and foot position. All are very well finished. Really a "just right" sized mid sized bike. Its a 360 crank isn't it? If it has a nice power band, despite being a 360, it might be a great bike. If its a boring engine, well, too bad they've missed the fun boat. The EX300, right across the aisle, was a tad smaller but just as nice and nearly as well finished.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #155
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Saw and sat on the three CB500's at the recent moto show. I didn't know they were making some ADV looking one, which was my least favorite. The R is very nice with a fairling and straight up bars and foot position. All are very well finished. Really a "just right" sized mid sized bike. Its a 360 crank isn't it? If it has a nice power band, despite being a 360, it might be a great bike. If its a boring engine, well, too bad they've missed the fun boat. The EX300, right across the aisle, was a tad smaller but just as nice and nearly as well finished.
It has a 180 degree crankshaft.

Dave

dduelin screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 04:18 PM
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #156
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 301
Is there an established HP rating for the U.S. market yet?

Digging the luggage options they have already, howaboutawindscreen?

-Jake
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #157
sniper1rfa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

I wonder if those will fit on the CBR250 as well...
sniper1rfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #158
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
Is there an established HP rating for the U.S. market yet?
Though not official, I've read 54, which is higher than the 47 in Europe where they have restrictions.
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #159
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 714
How are they going to get 7 more hp out of it, bigger throttle body and mapping? What I get from listening to the motorcycle brainiacs, is that the way they set up this motor, it produces only so much hp but a lot of torque. I think 54 hp may be a rumor.

When they say 47 hp on the Honda web site, then doesn't that mean power at the crank and a lot less at the wheel?
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #160
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
When they say 47 hp on the Honda web site, then doesn't that mean power at the crank and a lot less at the wheel?
On the US website? I haven't seen a claimed HP rating anywhere, though asphalt and rubber had a blurb on their site claiming 54 for US models.

Typically bikes that can be restricted for licensing purposes in Europe only require a re-map of the computer to de-restrict, so it would make sense that the US version is shipped with the unrestricted map.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #161
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
On the US website? I haven't seen a claimed HP rating anywhere, though asphalt and rubber had a blurb on their site claiming 54 for US models.

Typically bikes that can be restricted for licensing purposes in Europe only require a re-map of the computer to de-restrict, so it would make sense that the US version is shipped with the unrestricted map.
it was an Australia page. The bikes you are talking about already had more horse power to begin with. This bike only has 47, if it had 54, then it would be as powerful as the 700, which has a similar configuration it would seem.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #162
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
How are they going to get 7 more hp out of it, bigger throttle body and mapping? What I get from listening to the motorcycle brainiacs, is that the way they set up this motor, it produces only so much hp but a lot of torque. I think 54 hp may be a rumor.
It'll probably be the same power everywhere, just different "official numbers".
We get that a lot with cars here in EU too.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #163
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Baseline: I've been riding for almost 40 years and own a WeeStrom, DR650 and Ducati Monster. Now, back to this thread: I went to the local bike show last weekend and checked out these bikes. Very nice. The X is a Road Warrior, not a Beast, but a nice one. Good riding position, adequate specs and frankly seems like a better value and maybe even a better bike than the NC700 (though I love the faux tank storage on the NC). The 500R looked really nice also ... I am a fan of the recent white with red/blue trim colors of the CB1000R (FireBlade) and sitting right next to the 1000, the 500 held its own visually. It was right across the aisle from the Kawasaki 300 and I'd probably take the Honda over the Kawi, even at the higher price, just for 200 more cc. Back in the day, a lot of my experienced rider friends bought Kawasaki EX500 twins when they came out, and I could see the new Honda attracting veterans as well as newbies. If all my bikes disappeared one night, the Honda 500, probably the X with its roomier riding position, would be on my short list. Though the new CB1100 might be a place or two higher ....

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #164
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Does anyone know the Alternator (stator) output rating for the new CB500's?

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #165
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,642
Just from looking at the website and what has been written about these bikes so far, I'm interested. I'd love to have a new mid-sized bike to use as a daily rider. The R model with the V config engine reminds me of the 1985 VT500C Shadow I had. If the engine output is anywhere near how that Shadow felt in the seat of the pants, I'd add one to my wish list.

I'm torn though, the CB500X seems more practical for what I like to do, and the available factory accessories make it tempting. Anyone heard what the cost on this one will be besides "Request a Quote"?

I'm just waiting to see the real-riders' impressions here once there are a few new owners.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe

Purcell69 screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 07:40 PM
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote