Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #346
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
The CB's have EFI, ABS and modern tire sizes! Luggage too.

The Kwak and Suzuki were low-tech in the 90s, no wonder they didn't sell in the late 00's.

Yeah, I forgot tire sizes! But I did mention FI and luggage as two things that have me interested in the Honda.

I suspect the Honda will be in the same boat as the Ninja and GS were in at their introductions, low tech in comparison to "real" sportbikes. (but that should still put the CBs light years ahead of the other two.)

The thing is, I have a Ninja 500. I never thought I'd like the bike as much as I do. It is maddeningly old tech, but with a couple of tweaks it really does a more than admirable job. I'm wondering if the Honda will be enough of an improvement on the commuter bike concept to justify buying one new vs. sticking with what I have.

The CBR does look 1000X better than the Ninja!

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #347
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
My stupidity is exponentially smaller than your rudeness. Rudeness is a function of stupidity; therefore ... (assuming that you are bright enough to complete the thought presented here, which is doubtful, seeing how you went straight to a personal attack without any provocation or logical reason...)

You obviously don't know what you want.

-AND-

STFU noob.

...Speaking in general...
Compare the engine layout, weight, power, fuel economy, range, acceleration, top speed and ergonomics of the Ninja 500, the Suzuki GS500 and the Honda 500. In the last years of their production, no one even seemed to notice the former two, while the latter is pretty much a rehash of the exact same concept. Yet the Honda receives 11 pages of allocades without so much as a single "in house" test ride.

Funny, yes. But obviously I'm interested in the Honda too, or else I wouldn't be in this thread. The thought of a new 500 twin with FI and factory luggage (and a good price!) has me waiting for this bike to show up at a local dealer.
Sweet. A "noob" comment. Awesome. Thanks. Based on what you have typed, why would anyone want to purchase a "new" bike anyways? Its all been done before, right? So therefore your generalized comments about a bike already being available could be said for every new bike out there.

And no, with your comment I could not tell that you have any interest in this series of bikes. Just because you come into a thread and make a response doesn't necessarily mean you have any interest in the topic at hand.

And please, since I don't know what I want, maybe you could help me figure it out.

And let me apologize for being so rude. You're right. That was wrong of me.

fragile_this_side_up screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 08:04 PM
fragile_this_side_up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #348
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,930
When the 500's were first announced, what intrigued me was this bike was going to replace the KTM 690 in a European racing series, which led me to believe that these Hondas might have better suspension and a great aftermarket, but haven't heard anything lately... Any word? This alone would set the new Hondas apart from the Ninja and GS500. The GS is a fine bike, but would be infinitely better with FI.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #349
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
Sweet. A "noob" comment. Awesome. Thanks. Based on what you have typed, why would anyone want to purchase a "new" bike anyways? Its all been done before, right? So therefore your generalized comments about a bike already being available could be said for every new bike out there.

And no, with your comment I could not tell that you have any interest in this series of bikes. Just because you come into a thread and make a response doesn't necessarily mean you have any interest in the topic at hand.

And please, since I don't know what I want, maybe you could help me figure it out.

Nope, I was just saying that I think it's funny people are getting excited about a bike that seems to pretty much falls into a slot that other manufacturers dropped. No one ever gets enthused about Ninja 500s or GS500s... Me? I freaking love twins and I think that 500ccs is a really sweet spot for a commuter. I'm very happy that Honda is bringing these bikes to the US, but I'm worried that they will suffer from the same antipathy from buyers and parts bin construction as it's predecessors.

I've had my sights on getting either a new Versys or Ninja 650, but with the price and options of the new Honda, I really am forced to consider either the CBR or X as an option. But that begs the question of if it would be worth the cost to "upgrade" from my current bike to another 500cc machine. If the Honda is a huge improvement in quality, etc..., then it might be worth getting. If it's built with the bargain bike mentality, then no, I'll just pay the extra and go with a new Kawasaki.(Parts bin bikes, I know, but I like 'em and I really like the engine!)

Now, what you want, lust after and NEED:

You can thank me later.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #350
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
When the 500's were first announced, what intrigued me was this bike was going to replace the KTM 690 in a European racing series, which led me to believe that these Hondas might have better suspension and a great aftermarket, but haven't heard anything lately... Any word? This alone would set the new Hondas apart from the Ninja and GS500. The GS is a fine bike, but would be infinitely better with FI.
I don't have any first hand experience, and some inmates from the EU might chime in, but I believe that the change from KTM to Honda in a "spec" racing class is purely economics. Honda can supply more bikes, more cheaply. But as to better spec components, I would doubt it very highly. KTM is a small mfg with a reputation for higher quality components. Honda is a mass market mfg, with lots of capacity, but generally delivering average quality components. The racing series rules will dictate what changes can be made, and I'll bet that the aftermarket will supply most of the parts. I'm happy to be proven wrong, and if Hondaline supplies a high-spec suspension, lots of us in the USA will want the components.

I'd love to hear from EU racers, however, for facts rather than conjecture.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #351
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
The 500s are already on sale in Thailand.

Lot's more pics here:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...w-details.html
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #352
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
You can thank me later.
Haha. Thanks.
Truth be told, what I am looking for is a commuter bike for my 110 mile a day round trip commute. I need something that has an upright seating position, is comfortable cruising at 70mph, is new so I can finance and can get more mpg than my sv. I was originally looking a t a used wee, but the mpg isnt enough for me to justify. The cb500x on the other hand sounds right for me. I have sit on one and the riding position is spot on for me.

I SO wish we were getting it in white. I could maybe wait till next year, but I will live with black.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #353
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:

The Kwak and Suzuki were low-tech in the 90s, no wonder they didn't sell in the late 00's.
...and are capable of Bandit 1250 MPG figures..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #354
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,925
Quote:

Also offered in 3 different models (one of which is a light adventure model...something our market has NEVER seen) with what will prove to be extraordinary fuel economy and very attractive pricing.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #355
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Nope, I was just saying that I think it's funny people are getting excited about a bike that seems to pretty much falls into a slot that other manufacturers dropped. No one ever gets enthused about Ninja 500s or GS500s... Me? I freaking love twins and I think that 500ccs is a really sweet spot for a commuter. I'm very happy that Honda is bringing these bikes to the US, but I'm worried that they will suffer from the same antipathy from buyers and parts bin construction as it's predecessors.

I've had my sights on getting either a new Versys or Ninja 650, but with the price and options of the new Honda, I really am forced to consider either the CBR or X as an option. But that begs the question of if it would be worth the cost to "upgrade" from my current bike to another 500cc machine. If the Honda is a huge improvement in quality, etc..., then it might be worth getting. If it's built with the bargain bike mentality, then no, I'll just pay the extra and go with a new Kawasaki.(Parts bin bikes, I know, but I like 'em and I really like the engine!)

Now, what you want, lust after and NEED:

You can thank me later.

If economy is important to you, you may want to see what these new 500's get for MPG. I suspect they will easily best the Versys by 20MPG. I love my Versys, but no ABS and fuel economy that is worse than what I got on my FJR have me taking interest in the new Honda.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #356
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
Some good pics of the X there, thanks. Particularly the shot of the saddle and tank; the saddle looks to be tapered toward the front, which should make it easy to grip the tank with the knees, and will probably help people with the 810mm seat height too.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #357
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
If economy is important to you, you may want to see what these new 500's get for MPG. I suspect they will easily best the Versys by 20MPG.
I doubt it they'll go that high (MPGs).

It's even possible (and logical) they won't do better then the NC700S/X series,
considering the lower torque down low, and the need to use more throttle to
move around at same speeds (higher revs I mean). It might even out.

Lower weight helps, though.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it'll be better by 5-6% at low revs
(then the 700X), and same at anything above half throttle.

I got better MPG figures on my 650R (which should be worse then
Versys, since it's got torque further up the rev range) then some people
get on the 700X (because they rev the nuts off it for no good reason).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #358
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
When the 500's were first announced, what intrigued me was this bike was going to replace the KTM 690 in a European racing series, which led me to believe that these Hondas might have better suspension and a great aftermarket, but haven't heard anything lately... Any word?
I think it's safe to say the 690 Duke has better suspension and better brakes than the CBR500; and it should since it's a more expensive bike. The change to the CB's was a financial and bureaucratic one, not a performance one.

Though, some re-springing, new oil, and re-valving should bring a lot to the table for those of us looking for a little more sport without breaking the bank. Hopefully the aftermarket will have a lot of stuff available.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #359
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I doubt it they'll go that high (MPGs).

It's even possible (and logical) they won't do better then the NC700S/X series,
considering the lower torque down low, and the need to use more throttle to
move around at same speeds (higher revs I mean). It might even out.

Lower weight helps, though.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it'll be better by 5-6% at low revs
(then the 700X), and same at anything above half throttle.

I got better MPG figures on my 650R (which should be worse then
Versys, since it's got torque further up the rev range) then some people
get on the 700X (because they rev the nuts off it for no good reason).
Sometimes a given bike's fuel economy makes no sense. I ride with a light throttle hand on my Versys and typically get low to mid 40's. Riding in the same manner on other bikes finds me doing better than normal MPGs.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #360
michelsavage
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
From Thailand

Just rented a 500 from Pop's in Chiang Mai. Did 300 km in extremely twisty roads (Chiang Mai to Pai and back is about 1,500 curves). Great control. Feel good factor high. Not for high speed. At about 110 km/h, wind buffeting sets in. Great torque and perfect to get out of those curves. Good seat, good driving position. Fuel economy only OK. Quite silent. Very agile in curves and in traffic.All in all, a very good bike. Not a speed monster, but agile, light, maneuverable. And good looking...
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote