Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #541
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieAG View Post
It looks like they finally have the prices on the X model (this may have been posted already). $5999 and $6499 for ABS (same as R). That's pretty tempting...
The CB500X ABS is exactly the same list price as a KLR (which doesn't even offer ABS). And that makes it the biggest motorcycle bargain in a long, long time.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #542
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The CB500X ABS is exactly the same list price as a KLR (which doesn't even offer ABS). And that makes it the biggest motorcycle bargain in a long, long time.

- Mark
Unless you want a dualsport bike,than the KLR is the best bargain !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #543
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post

As long as the Terra doesn't go away I'd be looking to it for the best bargain. Never going to get that performance out of a KLR, especially not for the meager price difference.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #544
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,787
Quote:

Then. They are both great bargains within their obviously different classes, but I believe the X represents perhaps the best bargain in all of motorcycling.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #545
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,371
Like my father always said
" A bargain is getting what you want for the price you wanted to pay " !!!.

Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #546
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
As long as the Terra doesn't go away I'd be looking to it for the best bargain. Never going to get that performance out of a KLR, especially not for the meager price difference.
According to the new owner of Huskie the Terra is going away. They will return to their roots and focus on off road motorcycles and drop the street bikes. This was quoted in an interview with the owner that I read last month.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #547
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,261
Quote:
Unless you want a dualsport bike,than the KLR is the best bargain !!
Well, I guess if you want as 260+ mph supercar, then a $2M Veyron is a bargain too.

My point is that up until the CB500, the $6500 price point in a Japanese bike generally bought a very basic/simple ancient-design motorcycle - generally carb'ed singles with tubed tires, crap non-ABS brakes, rudimentary instrumentation, five-speed transmissions, little or no weather protection, etc. Cue the KLR. Suddenly this price point has a modern design, twin-cyl, fuel-injected, ABS, tubeless, six-speed bike with lots of nice features.

It is a tremendous lot of bike for the money and to my mind, that defines what a bargain is.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #548
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
For what I want to do, the Husky TR650 Strada and CBR500X are my two top picks. The Husky is slightly lighter, but I'm leaning toward the Honda for reliability and economy. I'd probably have to ride each to see which one fits me better.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #549
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,391
If you plan on riding off road/dirt roads, it seems the Suzuki DR650 is the best deal. Yes it has tube type tires, but you can get a factory made accessory centerstand for it that makes it possible to fix those tube type tires. Plus it has the simplicity of a single cylinder, carb, and air cooling. It will handle freeway speeds, and you can get aftermarket panniers for it that are cheaper and bigger than what Honda offers.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #550
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If you plan on riding off road/dirt roads, it seems the Suzuki DR650 is the best deal. Yes it has tube type tires, but you can get a factory made accessory centerstand for it that makes it possible to fix those tube type tires. Plus it has the simplicity of a single cylinder, carb, and air cooling. It will handle freeway speeds, and you can get aftermarket panniers for it that are cheaper and bigger than what Honda offers.
Also only 5 speeds, and almost twenty year old tech. I was hoping the Terra would stick around a little longer and force the big 4 (or 3 in this case) to update their 650s to something this millennium. I'd love a CRF250L with a bigger engine.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #551
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
WTF? You don't need a centerstand just because you have tube type tires. I have ridden a DR650 for years, no centerstand, and have NEVER had an issue replacing/repairing tires or tubes! That's just a weird idea on your part.

And comparing the DR to the CB? I don't see that either as they are totally different in focus. The DR will handle the freeway, but I have left mine parked in favor of my Ninja 500 when long stretches and higher speeds are involved. The DR will make you tired in a couple hundred miles while the Ninja will allow you do ride twice as long with less fatigue. I suspect the Honda will be similar/better than the Ninja in this respect.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #552
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 273
Has anybody here bought one of these yet and played with it?

-Jake
Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #553
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
For what I want to do, the Husky TR650 Strada and CBR500X are my two top picks. The Husky is slightly lighter, but I'm leaning toward the Honda for reliability and economy. I'd probably have to ride each to see which one fits me better.
By all means, buy the bike that fits you better.

But, the Terra/Strada are dual sports with dual sport suspensions and ground clearance. The Honda 500's (all three of them) are street bikes, with street bike suspensions and ground clearance. Just make sure that the Honda will do what you want it to do. Honda never claimed that the CB500X was an Adventure bike or a dual sport. They claim that it is a street bike with "Adventure Look".

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #554
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
Saw and sat on the CBR500 for the first time today. Very slick looking little sporty standard bike and it fits me a LOT better than the Ninja 300. I like it a lot at first glance, but I'd have to try riding it first.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #555
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
The CB500R is here!

I saw a red one today at Desert Motorsports in Ridgecrest CA - arrived yesterday. The dealer wants $7K OTD.

I sat on it, liked it. Looks pretty well put together with a few pretty cheap looking parts in the undersides. I think Honda has a winner with this one. I think one of these will be my wifes next bike.
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote