Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715

new commercial
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #92
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,661
Am I looking at something wrong or is the new CBR500R actually a little heavier and has less peak HP than my Ninja 500?
If that's really the case, then too bad. I was about to get excited...

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #93
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
Am I looking at something wrong or is the new CBR500R actually a little heavier and has less peak HP than my Ninja 500?
I don't think Honda cares much about power vs weight of the Ninja 500, much
like Kawasaki didn't care about it when then introduced the Ninja 400 (based on
the 650).

This is a bike meant to conform to specific European laws (restricted licences)
and is probably superior to the Ninja 500 in every way other then maybe
the pure performance.

It'll probably be faster then the currently available NC700S and NC700X, and
you won't see anyone commenting on how the NC700 is only 50hp, and
kawasaki has the Z750 @ 107hp.

Apples and oranges.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #94
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
I saw the ninja @ 435lbs and the honda @428lbs on their respective sites.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #95
lstehbens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Interesting bikes.

So are the riding positions the same on the CBR and CB? Don't see any different dimensions on the honda website...

You wouldn't take the CBX off road would you (says cast wheels)? Or is that okay for light gravel/dirt roads but not much more?
lstehbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #96
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
From the video above, it seems that the riding positions on the CBF and CBX are similar, with more room on the CBX.

The CBR seems more of a (mild) forward lean, and the pegs seem (optical illusion?) to be a little further back.

Just what I think I see.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #97
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,382
I'm glad that Honda is bringing more choices to the US. I don't really understand them, but maybe they will strike a chord with others. The CB500X really baffles me, however. Sometimes faux sells, but why would you market this as an adventure bike? Comfy ergos, I get that, but there is nothing about that bike that would appear to make it any more capable on rough roads than any standard type bike. But I guess the bikes are so similar, it doesn't cost Honda much to slightly alter the bikes in hopes of filling additional niches. Sure seems like small niches though.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #98
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
I noticed in the video that Honda is very careful to say "adventure styled" bike every time they describe the CB500X. Honda is making bikes for changing tastes, and right now ADV sells. Also, since most never go beyond gravel roads, the Honda marketing department is probably relatively safe. A real ADV offering would need more than cosmetic and headlight changes between three sub-models. It would require a real suspension, which would push the cost up, as would a different frame design to really accomodate the wishes of ADV riders.

Since most motorcycle purchases are ego driven, the CB500X should sell well.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #99
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I don't think Honda cares much about power vs weight of the Ninja 500, much
like Kawasaki didn't care about it when then introduced the Ninja 400 (based on
the 650).

This is a bike meant to conform to specific European laws (restricted licences)
and is probably superior to the Ninja 500 in every way other then maybe
the pure performance.

It'll probably be faster then the currently available NC700S and NC700X, and
you won't see anyone commenting on how the NC700 is only 50hp, and
kawasaki has the Z750 @ 107hp.

Apples and oranges.

I'm certain the Honda is a much better bike all around. Peak hp and a couple of pounds? Meaningless really and not something I'd base buying a bike on.

Apples and oranges... nope, I'd say one's a Red Delicious and the other a Fuji, damned close to being the same... sporty, commuter oriented 500 twins built to a similar price point. It's like Honda looked and saw a huge hole where the Ninja used to be and had an epiphany...

The bottom line is, I freaking love parallel twins for a number of reasons and have been wanting a new bike for some time. So far the Versys/Ninja650R have held my attention. Now Honda steps up with three new twins ... Is there anything about them that would be enough of an upgrade over my current Ninja 500 to justify the monetary outlay?

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #100
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I noticed in the video that Honda is very careful to say "adventure styled" bike every time they describe the CB500X. Honda is making bikes for changing tastes, and right now ADV sells. Also, since most never go beyond gravel roads, the Honda marketing department is probably relatively safe. A real ADV offering would need more than cosmetic and headlight changes between three sub-models. It would require a real suspension, which would push the cost up, as would a different frame design to really accomodate the wishes of ADV riders.

Since most motorcycle purchases are ego driven, the CB500X should sell well.

I wonder how many 500cc purchases are "ego driven"...

There are plenty of "ego driven" purchases on this site to go around though- just check the ride reports for pictures of liter plus adventure bikes 'taking a nap' as folks oh-so-cleverly phrase it.

Lots of adventures to be had, and plenty of country to be seen via modestly priced motorcycles and gravel roads.
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #101
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

It's a chick's bike, haha J/K.
It looks a lot bigger than the 250.
OTD I paid $5300 for the 250, so the 500 would fetch $7300. that's a lot of money.
I heard Sendler say it might only turn 9k rpm, that would be turd like. I heard some people say the US version would have 54hp at the wheel, 7 more than the EU version, that could be good. I might like it if you could wind it out like the 250.
I can't tell if there is any difference in the seating positions between the bikes Are they all just upright with sport bars or do they all have different bars?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #102
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
I think the biggest selling point for these 3 bikes will be initial cost. Also great fuel mileage is going to be a selling feature. I am waiting to see the CB500X. I looked at trading in my DR650 on a NC700X and they wanted over $7000 difference and I couldn't justify that. The parallel twin 500 should be better than the single 650s out there, more power, smoother and better mileage. Glad to see that Honda is still in the game! They were loosing it there for a while.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #103
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I'm glad that Honda is bringing more choices to the US. I don't really understand them, but maybe they will strike a chord with others. The CB500X really baffles me, however. Sometimes faux sells, but why would you market this as an adventure bike? Comfy ergos, I get that, but there is nothing about that bike that would appear to make it any more capable on rough roads than any standard type bike. But I guess the bikes are so similar, it doesn't cost Honda much to slightly alter the bikes in hopes of filling additional niches. Sure seems like small niches though.
As you noted, it is cheap enough for them to spin one basic bike into 3 flavors, so why not?

I am pretty sure most "ADV" bikes don't go on epic journeys, or anyplace rougher than a gravel road. In 2009 Honda marketed my CBF1000 as an adventure bike, even though it is just a standard with 17" cast wheels. No more ADV than a Bandit or ZRX1100, but I didn't buy it as an ADV bike, so who cares? Once they dropped the Varadero, Honda also dropped the Adventure category.

I didn't find my V-Strom any more capable off road than any other street bike, but it gets touted as being (sort of) a dual sport.

I think smaller, lighter bikes are fun, but find the torque of the Ninja 250 lacking for all-round use. a 500 twin should have adequate torque. I am very pleased to see smaller bikes being introduced.

jon_l screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 09:17 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #104
TRRcheck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
As you noted, it is cheap enough for them to spin one basic bike into 3 flavors, so why not?

I am pretty sure most "ADV" bikes don't go on epic journeys, or anyplace rougher than a gravel road. In 2009 Honda marketed my CBF1000 as an adventure bike, even though it is just a standard with 17" cast wheels. No more ADV than a Bandit or ZRX1100, but I didn't but it as an ADV bike, so who cares? Once they dropped the Varadero, Honda also dropped the Adventure category.

I didn't find my V-Strom any more capable off road than any other street bike, but it gets touted as being (sort of) a dual sport.

I think smaller, lighter bikes are fun, but find the torque of the Ninja 250 lacking for all-round use. a 500 twin should have adequate torque. I am very pleased to see smaller bikes being introduced.
I'm excited to see what the factory options and aftermarket will look like as far as luggage and other adv-inspired goodies. Can't wait
TRRcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #105
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 409
Very happy to see that Honda is bringing the CB500F to Canada too! If a test-sit in the coming months gives me the "warm fuzzies", then the CB500F could very well be my next Bike!