Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #361
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
We expect a full detailed report of all aspects of ownership!

Went and sat on one again at the motorcycle show this weekend and it's gonna be a hard decision for me. Ninja 300 or a DS......Hummmmm
Should be ready for pickup on Monday.

Now... If we can do something about the last two days of snow....

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #362
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Looks like a somewhat less faired model is about to debut. VisorDown

Could they have possibly put more angles on that thing? I lost count on the mirrors alone. I like motorcycles with "curves"
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #363
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
I prefer the older lines too, like the Daytona Special RDs and RZ350s but this engine is a gem. Not like those icons but you have to ride one, they dropped the ball on the supporting hardware, it deserves better, especially the plastics.

If they had the motivation, a 350cc track day/sport bike version with better legs, brakes and tires would be an awesome bike. I'm very content with mine as it sits modded for street duty, but a true "R" spec with 50 HP and a +15k redline would be irresistible.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #364
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Could they have possibly put more angles on that thing? I lost count on the mirrors alone. I like motorcycles with "curves"

Yeah, it's a little angular, but overall not a bad looking little bike, IMO. I'd still like to see something with less plastic and more of a true, stripped down, minimalistic looking naked bike.... something that looks light, agile and simple... But it is much easier to hide all the ugly crap of a modern bike under cheap plastic panels than to design it to look nice truly naked.

Wonder how it would look with the chin and middle part of side pieces removed (below the radiator shroud looking piece with the green on it), bar ends, fender eliminator, solo seat cowl, and a more attractive exhaust can... Have to see one stripped down in person, but that might not be too hard to make work...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #365
Navin
Unwounding

There is some ugliness under the covers along the tank. A few aluminum trim panels could be fitted to cover that, I'd though about it cause I don't plan on buying replacement fairings if/when they break.

Anything below that isn't really offensive, just tiny looking.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #366
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
There is some ugliness under the covers along the tank. A few aluminum trim panels could be fitted to cover that, I'd though about it cause I don't plan on buying replacement fairings if/when they break.

Anything below that isn't really offensive, just tiny looking.

Hmmm... and I just picked up a little powder coating unit at HF yesterday... Just right for powdercoating small parts and home made brackets, covers, etc... A little aluminum sheet, some time, and some black powdercoat hides a bunch of stuff. That and a little rerouting/removal of some things. In this case, it still leaves an engine never designed to be on display though... Haven't really had a chance to see one stripped down though, so who knows...

Not really in the market right now, but my new step daughter has been wanting one really bad... She's never ridden a bike before, and is only 16... her dad says no, her mom says, "IDK". I'm a bike nut, but I know the inherent dangers of the sport, so I'm staying out of it... Of course she thinks that since I have a bunch of bikes, and mom bought me one for Christmas... lol Geesh! What have I gotten myself into?

Oh well, we'll see how that goes... I did stop by the dealer for a first hand look at one earlier in the week. Sent the wife a pic... She thought it was "pretty"... Then, she said something about for her! She's never ridden either. Not sure if she really might want to learn, or if she's just doing that because she knows it's my thing... I never encourage anyone to ride motorcycles... It's either something they want to do on their own or it isn't. It's been my passion for as long as I can remember, but I don't want the responsibility of encouraging anyone to take up a dangerous activity. Least of all the most important person in my life. I never would have even looked at a bike like this for myself... But, after reading about 'em and thinking about it some, I can see how it could be a fun little bike... And, now there does at least seem to be a possibility of adding one of these little things (or maybe even two! lol) to the stable at some point. If that happens I'm sure I'll be riding it, and even if not riding it much, I will be doing the maintenance and necessary upgrades, so thanks for all the info in this thread...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #367
Navin
Unwounding

The engine is pretty good looking actually, the redesign didn't hurt it at all. It is the tank for the most part, the frame isn't even that bad. The tank has its vent line and mounting points/dents to accommodate the fairings, just about like the older 250s.

There is a pic of the engine on Kawi's web page IIRC. I'll try to find the pic of the bike near naked.

FF to around 1:06 in this vid for a peek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYRaCPoOv0

More here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUxo7UKG7nw

Navin screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 11:23 AM
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #368
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
The engine is pretty good looking actually, the redesign didn't hurt it at all. It is the tank for the most part, the frame isn't even that bad. The tank has its vent line and mounting points/dents to accommodate the fairings, just about like the older 250s.

There is a pic of the engine on Kawi's web page IIRC. I'll try to find the pic of the bike near naked.

FF to around 1:06 in this vid for a peek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYRaCPoOv0

More here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUxo7UKG7nw
Wow, so many plastic doohickys. My EX500 was much easier to work on.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #369
Navin
Unwounding

I think the worst of it is the emission canister which have been known to fall off now and then...

The hard part would be cleaning up the lines of the gas tank itself. I did a naked pre gen 250 café style and had to grind & fill the tank a bit to smooth it out. The 300 is worse than that. I'd leave the rear plastics for sure, nothing pleasant under that.

If you search you can find a few 08-12 250s that have been stripped to naked and they come off pretty well. They have that midsection black plastic that they can keep in place.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #370
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
This was a good read...very cool to read good things about this bike. I do think that that semi naked version does look very nice...and I'm not generally a fan of naked bikes.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #371
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Looks like a somewhat less faired model is about to debut...
I like it, except for the mirrors. If mine, it would need CRG-LS or equivalent bar-end mirrors to round it out.

B02S4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #372
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
I just checked one of these out at a dealer friday afternoon, very nice bike. Unfortunately no demo bike to take a test ride though.
Tony
Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #373
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,821
Bike is now in the garage.

As soon as this rain we're getting washes away the salt and snow, I'll put enough miles on it for some first impressions.

The very short ( 5 mile scoot from dealer to home ) suggest that it trumps my 250 across the board and the sound of the Akropovic is way, way sweeter than the Yoshimura I was running on the 250R.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #374
Navin
Unwounding

TT, good luck with it. The stock tires and brake pads leave a lot to be desired so watch out for them.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #375
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
Bike is now in the garage.

As soon as this rain we're getting washes away the salt and snow, I'll put enough miles on it for some first impressions.

The very short ( 5 mile scoot from dealer to home ) suggest that it trumps my 250 across the board and the sound of the Akropovic is way, way sweeter than the Yoshimura I was running on the 250R.
Very interested to hear how it is better. The pregen ninja 250 is a pretty hard bike to beat if tweaked a little.