Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #46
MoreCheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
So, I looked up the nearest Kawasaki dealer near me and rode over on my way home from work as I had read about several people finding Ninja 300's at dealers already. Once I finally found a person to talk with (most seamed busy texting or watching the internet or movies on their phones) they tell me they don't sell Ninja 300's. Really? The employee then finds the manager after some prodding by me and tells me that a Ninja 300 is only and internet rumor and they have heard nothing about it. Umm . . it was announced in New York already I tell him. After a frantic internet search (I assume) they tell me they might be getting some but don't know how much they will cost. Arg, a waste of time for me. I couldn't even get them to show me one of the 5 or more Ninja 250's they had on the showroom floor. It would have been nice to take one out to find out what they are like as I have no experience on a Ninja 250 or 300. Oh well, guess I don't need to go back their again.
MoreCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #47
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCheese View Post
The employee then finds the manager after some prodding by me and tells me that a Ninja 300 is only [an] internet rumor
LMFAO!

But seriously, and I don't mean to be crude, but fuck everything about dealers like this. There's no excuse to be THAT ignorant about a product line you sell.
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #48
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
LMFAO!

But seriously, and I don't mean to be crude, but fuck everything about dealers like this. There's no excuse to be THAT ignorant about a product line you sell.
I don't think that's the norm, alteast where I live. The two local Kawi (and Yamaha) dealers seem to be pretty good and most of the sales guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #49
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
LMFAO!

+1, wholeheartedly
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #50
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCheese View Post
So, I looked up the nearest Kawasaki dealer near me and rode over on my way home from work as I had read about several people finding Ninja 300's at dealers already. Once I finally found a person to talk with (most seamed busy texting or watching the internet or movies on their phones) they tell me they don't sell Ninja 300's. Really? The employee then finds the manager after some prodding by me and tells me that a Ninja 300 is only and internet rumor and they have heard nothing about it. Umm . . it was announced in New York already I tell him. After a frantic internet search (I assume) they tell me they might be getting some but don't know how much they will cost. Arg, a waste of time for me. I couldn't even get them to show me one of the 5 or more Ninja 250's they had on the showroom floor. It would have been nice to take one out to find out what they are like as I have no experience on a Ninja 250 or 300. Oh well, guess I don't need to go back their again.
What dealer was this?
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #51
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Internet rumor, ha! It would have taken all I have not to busted out something like,

"Yea, internet rumor indeed. I think I read about it on this obscure site called kawasaki.com. You ever heard of it, bitch? You really should go to it sometime."

Please tell us which dealer this was, and where it is located. I'm dying to know.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #52
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
Despite a sticker in the stock photos, the specs do not mention ABS.

Swing, miss.
ABS is an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Both non and ABS are listed on the USA site now. That 50cc didn't cause a price increase, but the new frame and body probably caused a few bucks to be added on. I think they missed the price boat but win in the appearance dept.

$4799 and $5499 with ABS.

A new slot in $ but a pretty big step up in appearance from the 2012 or the CBR near moped look IMO.

As before, it should easily walk from the CBR and appeal to new riders who can't tell it from a 600-1000cc supersport, and from 30' away, I'm not sure many could now judging ONLY from the pics and vids.
I would say the fuel injection is likely what caused the price increase, not the 50cc bump. If anything the 50cc bump will give me more low end torque, and make it a much more relaxed bike to ride in traffic, yet, still have the high-RPM rush you want it.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #53
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I think this is gonna be a better bike then my 1st gen Ninja 650 was.
I love the looks and specs, and it would have been a killer if they made
it a 4 cylinder bike (think CBR250RR).

I never cared much for the 250, I respected it for what it was, but I'd
never buy one, rather keep my scooter(s). The 300 ticks a lot more
boxes in my book, and I'd get one in a heartbeat if I was looking at
that kind of bikes.

I think they'll sell a shitload of these.
A four-cylinder 250-300cc bike would cost as much to make a 600. It'll never happen. There is a reason that Honda used a single in the CBR250R -- cost. Less parts = less cost. That said, the CBR250R is a great bike. The new Ninja 300 at $1,000 more, and nearly 50% more power than the baby CBR isn't, IMHO a direct competitor, but the next class up.

I can see the 300 Ninja being a eventual replacement for my 1990 VTR250. The CBR250R, while fun, doesn't have enough power (24-26 HP, vs. 35 HP for the VTR250). The 300 Ninja weighs just slightly more than my VTR250, with a little more power. I think it'll be a great bike. It'll be interesting to see how well it sells in the the "bigger-is-better" USA.

There are always dozens of 250 Ninjas on Craigslist within a 150 mile radius of me for $1,000-$2,000, many of the $2,000 bikes being low miles (< 5,000) newer (2007 and newer) bikes. If I was a new rider (big part of the target audience for the 300), I'd have a hard time justifying a new one.

That said, there are a lot of older riders in the USA rediscovering the joy of a lightweight bike, so maybe with the aging population here, they might sell well -- who knows.

I think the 300 will be a very fun bike to ride.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #54
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
As glad as I am to see a new found interest from the Mfg's in Bikes below the 600 class, do we really need another impractical plastic clad poseur bike?
On the + side, at least it's not another cruiser.

In a world full of Power Rangers and Pirates...how about something really different that allows YOU to turn it into the bike YOU want it to be. (like a flexible Standerd style bike that you can make into what you want)

As is...2 thumbs up to Kawi for stepping up.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #55
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortez View Post
i believe virtually any bike can be bought restricted here (eu).

Seen a guy on a 33hp fz1 fazer..
eewwwwwww!!!
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #56
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Personally, I think it's a stupid idea. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 250, and it has been successful for three decades.

Now that Kawasaki is facing a valid threat in the 250 class, they do what? Take the easy way out and bump the displacement 50cc. Will it be quicker? Yeah of course, but it will also be more expensive, and most depressingly, NOT A 250 ANYMORE! Why is the answer always bumping the displacement? I fear this is a big clumsy step down a very slippery slope that has already ruined countless other machines (VFR anyone?)

Pretty soon the smallest bike anyone will be able to buy in the US is a 1000...

Everyone complains that the 250 would be perfect if it had "just a little more power" but it's a 250 for cryin' out loud. it's not supposed to be super fast.
Valid threat sales wise or performance wise? I know nothing about the performance of the CBR 250 or the 250 Ninja but, I'm assuming a paralel twin is automatically going to out perform a single. I like the CBR 250 & think it's a cool idea for a small sporty/economical bike. If the CBR is faster (like I said I don't know) than the Ninja, than Kawasaki HAD to do something cuz that's sad.

If you're talking sales wise, then I think Kawasaki did themselves & Honda both a favor in this floundering economy. The two bikes don't actually compete with each other. The Honda is still the clear choice for the bargan hunter/beginner & the 300 Ninja is the choice for someone with extra cash (older riders) or willing to go deeper into debt.

I would prefer a 400 Ninja (as long as it isn't a sleeved down 650, YUCK) but, the 300 is very cool & it looks sexy as hell. My biggest complaint with the 250 Ninja was it's lack of sex appeal, not ugly just not sexy. This new 300 Ninja looks like Mila Kunnis bent over into the "submissive kitten" position.

I'd like to see Kawasaki make a 250 Ninja single just for the fun of competition but, in this economy I doubt any of the manufacturers are looking for a fair fight sales wise.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #57
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Personally, I think it's a stupid idea. So don't buy one !
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 250, and it has been successful for three decades. And it has had several revisions in that time; this is another revision.
Now that Kawasaki is facing a valid threat in the 250 class, they do what? Take the easy way out and bump the displacement 50cc. Will it be quicker? Yeah of course, but it will also be more expensive, and most depressingly, NOT A 250 ANYMORE! Why is the answer always bumping the displacement? I fear this is a big clumsy step down a very slippery slope that has already ruined countless other machines (VFR anyone?)

Pretty soon the smallest bike anyone will be able to buy in the US is a 1000... Right.

Everyone complains that the 250 would be perfect if it had "just a little more power" but it's a 250 for cryin' out loud. it's not supposed to be super fast.
The current 250 stays in the line-up, so why complain ?
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #58
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
As glad as I am to see a new found interest from the Mfg's in Bikes below the 600 class, do we really need another impractical plastic clad poseur bike?

In a world full of Power Rangers and Pirates...how about something really different that allows YOU to turn it into the bike YOU want it to be. (like a flexible Standerd style bike that you can make into what you want)

Impractical plastic clad poseur bike ?

Buy it, take off the plastic, and quit complaining. That would be "something really different that YOU turned it into the bike YOU want it to be."
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #59
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post

I agree, but we are in a minority.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #60
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
The current 250 stays in the line-up, so why complain ?

I give it 5 more years before it's gone forever.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote