Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #31
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,403
Of course, you could have ridden without locks. I've been across a good portion of North America and I'm pretty sure I've never locked my saddle bags. Oh wait, they don't have locks at all...
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #32
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Jesse refused to ship an O-ring to Mexico?
Or you decided you didn't want the bags and they should pay for the required shipping for you to "kick the tires"?
he wouldn't ship the oring because it wasn't needed. I say its option #2
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Well, that's it for me. I thought I would do the community here a service, at least in letting people know that Jesse's instructions aren't up to date, and that they don't feel any responsibility to send up to date instructions with their product. Ya'll can continue to flame on now. I'm outta here.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #34
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,927

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #35
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Hell, I would have been happy if they'd paid for any of the shipping.

Why, you ordered it and decided you didn't want it. Should jesse lose money on your sale because you couldn't figure out what is a very simple install? I did mine with zero instructions.

As it turned out, I paid for it both ways.

As you should have, it was your mistake.

As far as expecting small businesses to stand behind their products, (including their instructions), I grew up in a family that owned small businesses for three generations. IMO Jesse luggage dropped the ball on this one.
I think if you really sit down at the big boy table you'll realize your ranting is not only premature it's immature. Just because your family owned small business didn't mean you were the one running the books. Because if you were I guarantee you wouldn't be giving shit away for free.

Jesse didn't drop the ball, you did by not planning ahead for contingencies. You got in a huff and sent it back, shocked I might add, that they wouldn't post for your mistake.

You can probably tell by responses you are getting I'm not alone in my review if the tapes.

Sorry it happened but this was off your own making

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #36
USA_MEDIC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Had three sets of Jesses over the years. All on different bikes I bought. Put a couple new sets on friends Vstroms too. Bought my only new bike, 2010 GS 1200 Adv with the bmw stockers cause I really wanted to just have one key. Huge mistake. Now looking for Jesse's!

Jesse Luggage builds an awesome product, much like RKA luggage. Sometimes you have to allow wiggle room, especially for custom built american made goods. We are running on smaller margins due to increased costs in material, manpower and costs like insurance and workspace. Yea, the Jesse instructions are not the best, but I think thats because they are trying to keep up with orders. Mount the Jesse's, they are the best HARD luggage you will ever have!
Former Caponord Owner
Former XR650L Owner
Former XR250L Owner

USA_MEDIC screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 04:54 PM
USA_MEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #37
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Well, that's it for me. I thought I would do the community here a service, at least in letting people know that Jesse's instructions aren't up to date, and that they don't feel any responsibility to send up to date instructions with their product. Ya'll can continue to flame on now. I'm outta here.
There IS one thing you are letting us know...... but I refuse to call you names!! Enjoy your trip. I hope nothing breaks on the bike. If something does break I hope for your sake there is a qualified mechanic nearby. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #38
mikemaycga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
The root cause here was bad instructions and ordering the product too late before a trip.

Jesse is responsible for all aspects of their product and instructions is one important attribute of the product. I bought an 800GS in April 2012 and have been adding a lot of parts to the bike. I'm amazed at the low quality of installation instructions. Photos are too dark to see the details that help with the installation. Instructions are written by the product inventor or someone who has intimate knowledge of how to install, so the written part excludes the contextual knowledge that experience provides. Spelling and grammatical errors demonstrate a lack of attention to detail in the documentation. fortunately, the actual product quality is much higher than the quality of documentation. The solution is to invest in proper technical writers. Also, it's surprising how often, the documentation is not available on the web site. Vendors can do more to improve the overall quality of their products.

I am surprised how many inmates wait to last minute to prepare their bikes for important trips. If you want to minimize disruption, make sure your bike and trip related equipment is ready and tested well before the departure date. The adventure comes on the trip and should be dictated by by location and events, not by lack of preparation.

my 2 bits.
mikemaycga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
I think dog pile is what you were expecting, just not expecting it to be on you. One thing I have learned about this place, if your gonna come on here whining about some company having shitty service, better have your shit together and not be acting like a little cry baby, because it will go south if you dont have a legit complaint.

You dont have a legit complaint.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #40
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_MEDIC View Post
Had three sets of Jesses over the years. All on different bikes I bought. Put a couple new sets on friends Vstroms too. Bought my only new bike, 2010 GS 1200 Adv with the bmw stockers cause I really wanted to just have one key. Huge mistake. Now looking for Jesse's!

Jesse Luggage builds an awesome product, much like RKA luggage. Sometimes you have to allow wiggle room, especially for custom built american made goods. We are running on smaller margins due to increased costs in material, manpower and costs like insurance and workspace. Yea, the Jesse instructions are not the best, but I think thats because they are trying to keep up with orders. Mount the Jesse's, they are the best HARD luggage you will ever have!
I was with ya right up till that last sentence. Micatech is the best ,
and mine came with a malformed bracket that actually did require an extra couple of days to get replaced. Sure glad I didn't send them back and cry about having to pay for shipping! THAT would be tragic!
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #41
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemaycga View Post
The solution is to invest in proper technical writers. Also, it's surprising how often, the documentation is not available on the web site.

Riding a motorcycle has always required that the person riding it had a half a clue.

Unfortunatley those times are changing and people want everything done for them. I can't imagine the added cost of a product to hire a techinical writer to familiarize him/herself with each product and application and write the instructions for all the various models. If you can't figure out how to bolt on a set of panniers, you really shouldn't be riding a motorcycle on a long trip....

I think this pic applies here.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #42
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
If you don't like the Jesse installation instructions, I'd love to hear what you think of the Happy Trails. I got a set of scratch and dent that required some holes to be elongated and the mounting pucks came with completely out of date instructions. A few minutes with a drill and a laptop and it everything went together. That's half the fun IMO.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #43
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,324
Bottom line here is waiting until the last minute to buy what you need.

Yes the instructions sucked and you were missing an O ring according to the instructions you got. Had you not waited until the last minute you would have had a chance to test Al Jesse's excellent customer service. Because you changed your mind, you're mad because you have to pay to ship them back. You got EXACTLY what you wanted. There was nothing wrong with the bags. You want return something just because you changed your mind. It's on you plain and simple.

Don't trash Al because you changed your mind.

Get
Over
It

Gerg

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #44
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-pajaro View Post
I ordered a set a few weeks ago. The instructions sucked but you are paying for the bags and rack quality not a piece of paper telling you how to install. My overall opinion is they could use a update on the website and on the instructions but do you really want to pay for it?

I can't believe you sent them back over a o-ring. really?
The instructions sucked?

Not upset, but please let me know how, as I created the instructions.

Thanks,

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #45
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The instructions sucked?

Not upset, but please let me know how, as I created the instructions.
Can't believe you created all instructions for all the bikes. I received the new Odyssey II panniers last Monday and have to say: the instructions sucked.

The instructions to install the frames were okay, but one note: who the f*ck came up with using ONE single non metric bolt in the whole frigging rack assembly?

The instructions I got from Jesse for the boxes sucked. Not too bad though and it was easy enough to find some of the missing bits and pieces online as they were still available on the xplorermoto.com website with better photos and instructions.

Still can't believe that there are quite a few holes in the boxes and not a single sealing o-ring used under the washers. I guess I'll take them apart at some point again and add some self-cut rubber sealing in the relevant areas. I doubt there will be much of a leak, but I don't want even drops in my stuff when I pay that much for luggage.

For the original complaint: get real and check online before you send stuff back. It's not the hardest thing to do ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote