Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #46
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
I hate join the pile up, I generally 95% of the time love my Jessie's but there is one thing that is very minor, but annoys me highly. On my 1200GS, the left side pannier rack where it goes around the muffler rubs the inside of the pannier ever so slightly. This is not that big of a deal once they are mounted, but it makes mounting the bag an interference fit and it is very, very difficult to get the quarter turn latch plate thingy to close inside the rack where it's supposed to go. I,ve banged on the mount with a hammer, a chisel, and I can't remember what else and the damn thing is so freaking tough that it just won't bend in the 1 mm or so that it needs to go to mount the bag like its supposed to. Well I've had the panniers for over a year so I can't exactly send them back, but I actually didn't figure out what the problem was until just recently.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #47
Simplyred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Well, I was just recuperating from an accident, in which I lost my spleen, I was living in a rented apartment in a place where I had no tools, and few resources, and I expected to have instructions and a product that matched. Silly me. I do agree about last minute ordering. I had little time after getting out of the hospital to figure out what I wanted, and it did go to the last minute. That said, had their correct instructions been included, as most products costing in this price range would have been, there would have been no problem. Had they assumed any of the responsibility for not publishing the correct installation instructions there would also have been no problem.

Well I am sorry man, I read your additions regarding not being critical about the product but instead the company. That is however not even the point.

The point is: if you are an "adventurer" and get all worked up about an o-ring or a missing piece of insignificant paper, is adventuring even something for you? Is not adventuring for those who can anticipate on the fly, adjust to multiple situations by second nature, and have the ability to find out stuff on their own rather then being led by the hand and depending on some products "customer service"?

The whole point is not in an o-ring, or "instructions". The whole point is in the durability and usability of the final product. Something you will learn to appreciate after thousands of miles working with the gear. By which I am not saying that was great customer support: I ain't. I am just saying you seem to depend WAY to much on it.

Maybe (and I am really NOT trying to be flippant here) you should rather buy yourself a scooter and be happy with a nice fitting wardrobe from Milan to go with that? "Is adventuring your thing?" seems a valid question here.

You seem like a nice guy. Don't be offended by this post, it was not meant that way. But sometime one needs to be clear, maybe even harsh.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #48
norcal1
Cameron Park, CA.

Oddometer: 216
If you were looking for great customer service and complete instructions, you may want to consider Micatec. Not only will the instructions be right on but owner will give you his cell number to call him on the weekend if you are having problems. I have read too many stories just like yours about his luggage. Do some research before you buy. Just saying....
norcal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #49
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,426
As a tech writer, I will wentirely agree that most of the companies that market stuff to motorcyclists simply do a gobsmackingly awful job of tell customers anythinhg about the product, it's installation, or the eventual troubleshooting (if needed).

And they should do so much better (though I'll admit that point of view iws at least partially self-serving {smile}).

Of course, once I found that the o-ring wasn't necessary, I don't think I'd return the product over poor documentation (hell, if that were the case, I would never have bought any motorcycle, much less an accessory).

YMMV, clearly.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #50
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 494
I do think it is fair to expect instructions to be accurate (it's not like these are translated from Chinese or Portugese). A little slip of paper with the words "O-rings no longer used in this version" would be easy and cheap to include.

I don't think it fair to expect the supplier to pay for the shipping back.

Personally I would have gone on the trip with the boxes and spoke to the supplier on the first day they opened.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #51
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
My Jesse experience..

Was all good. I have a home 20 mins from Al Jesse's shop in Glendale AZ. I stopped by and was able to get a set of "demo" Safari's for about 20% off and they didnt have a mark on them. I am not the most gifted mane mechanically but I did install them on my 800GS with out too much trouble. The directions were not super thorough as I recall but everything went together pretty obviously. I was not sure if/how to fasten the pads that hold the locking mechanism in place but other than that everything fit and I love the set up and the look. Good people, great product and its nice to buy something that was made down the road
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #52
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
I've had Odysseys on two GS's since 2005. Jesse's service is terrifc, the couple of times I've needed to call them. The bags are great. I wouldn't consider any others. Although I've seen the Micatechs, and they look like good stuff, quality wise. The design just doesn't appeal to me.

Not writing this for the OP. Only for anybody who might have been pursuaded by his post not to buy Jesses. (Which seems pretty unlikely.)
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #53
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
I learned long ago that if something says universal it means i'm making 3 trips to the hardware store.
I have learned with motorcycles even some things that are "model specific" require trips to the hardware store and an occasional backyard engineering session.

hooliken screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 12:17 PM
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #54
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Riding a motorcycle has always required that the person riding it had a half a clue.

Unfortunatley those times are changing and people want everything done for them. I can't imagine the added cost of a product to hire a techinical writer to familiarize him/herself with each product and application and write the instructions for all the various models. If you can't figure out how to bolt on a set of panniers, you really shouldn't be riding a motorcycle on a long trip....

I think this pic applies here.

Who in their right mind would need to carry that much oil? Must be a Boxer motor eh?
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #55
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 123
1928 Indians need a lot of oil!

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #56
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Tat View Post
1928 Indians need a lot of oil!

Especially when they are doing this....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822028

By the way RTWDoug don't need no stinking o-ring....

Cylinders, rings, pistons, maybe, but no o-rings

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #57
1Gopokes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
jesse luggage

I had a similar EXP with them. I wanted a repalcement bag as I removed my 1150GS muffler and wanted a full bag. 2 months of Emails and photos to get the bag . The totally wrong product was sent to me. It took another 3 weeks of no response and I finally had to dispute the charge on my card to get them to accept the product back.

Nice bags clueless staff
1Gopokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #58
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Especially when they are doing this....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822028

By the way RTWDoug don't need no stinking o-ring....

Cylinders, rings, pistons, maybe, but no o-rings
Nice thread on the Indian. Yeah, I can see the need for oil AND A SEAT CUSHION!
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #59
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
Was all good. I have a home 20 mins from Al Jesse's shop in Glendale AZ. I stopped by and was able to get a set of "demo" Safari's for about 20% off and they didnt have a mark on them. I am not the most gifted mane mechanically but I did install them on my 800GS with out too much trouble. The directions were not super thorough as I recall but everything went together pretty obviously. I was not sure if/how to fasten the pads that hold the locking mechanism in place but other than that everything fit and I love the set up and the look. Good people, great product and its nice to buy something that was made down the road
Were yours missing the o ring?
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #60
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Trophies for Everyone

I think the people bashing the guy that got half of what he ordered, you're the same ones that think the loosing team should get a trophy.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote