Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #31
bob393 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
I've done a pretty fair number of 1000/24 rides and one 1500/24 (Never again, thank you very much) I think the best way to prepare for an "Ironbutt" style of ride is to begin riding bigger miles. If you can ride tank to tank for two or three tanks you've pretty much got the endurance part down.

A certain level of core endurance is good as well. For me, working out helps me ride longer distances, it might for you as well.

Remember as others have said, do this for fun. For me, it IS fun. I live in the West, and watching the miles unspool from the seat of a powerful motorcycle is soothing and liberating to me. It isn't boring, and I certainly agree with others who say, "Don't do this for bragging rights..." Ok, maybe just a little bragging is ok...

Enjoy, take some pix, and let us know how you did!

What do you do for a workout? Running, Lifting, Swimming? Though I'm sure anything is better than nothing
Old 09-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #32
killianm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Set a Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG55 View Post
The best training aid....... The seat on my F800gs. After some time on it, any other seat will be like sitting on a marshmallow.
Agreed!!
Did a SS1000 on the 1150 GS a couple of years ago and hit all of New England. I live in Central PA and it fit well to make a nice loop up to Maine and back with a few zig zags to get in the miles. I like the long time in the saddle by myself to think. On the 800 GS I've been doing a lot in the dirt. Do what ever is good for you. We all ride because we like it. We don't all ride the same bike. Enjoy it!!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #33
bob393 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey killianm, Welcome aboard!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #34
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
I usually just hop on at point A, set the GPS to point B, and ride. I stand up when my butt hurts, stretch out my legs when they are sore, use a throttle rocker to keep the right hand from cramping, think about serious things that have been bothering me, sing in my helmet, look at cute girls in cars that pass by....before I know it, the ride is over.

Like everyone else has said, if it isn't fun for you, no need to do it. I've never done an IBA ride despite doing quite a few 1000+ mile days. Eventually I'll document one just so I can get that damn license plate bracket and so I can hang the certificate next to my college diploma.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #35
bob393 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm defiantly getting closer to the trip. Of course now its starting to get cold. I was out this morning and it was 47deg in north west Sullivan Co. and my hands froze.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #36
BTL
WINTER!! UGH!

Oddometer: 397
Just completed my second IronButt 1000 miler with relative ease. I do some longer practice rides for the fun of riding in the early summer...usually 600 mile days to get used to the time in the saddle.

I the IronButt stuff for the shear pleasure of riding and seeing so many different places in a short time. Eating well and resting during ride is important and everyone is different.

I really do enjoy riding and with the addition of this last IronButt, I completed my holiday in Utah and back to Edmonton in 9 days with 6,300km on the meter..
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #37
bob393 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice work..

What I'm getting is just go out and ride.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #38
lddave
been there

Oddometer: 479
Getting ready for it means spending more time in the saddle . Practice your fuel stops to eliminate wasted minutes . Remember ever minute your wheels are not moving your are wasting time . Have fun .

Dave
Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #39
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
maybe ask yourself why you are doing this. Is it bragging rights ? If so, that's stupid. Some kind of personal challenge ? That may be borderline stupid. Its just me, but i don't get it. Good luck and safe riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone rider View Post
as a moto rider, you get to ride many miles to achieve whatever goal. Perception of the personal importance of those goals varies greatly.

Go ahead - ride your motocyle long distances while fatiqued and not smart of mind.

Knock yourself out...but please, nobody else.

People seek respect in different ways, and from different people/groups.
+1
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #40
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
One of my IronButt riding buddies rides with no radio, no entertainment, no CB, no on board cell phone connection.
Same here :) - I like to stay focused on riding, and just get in the zone. If the OP gets bored with LD riding, then maybe it's just not his thing. Different strokes for different folks - just do what you enjoy.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #41
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 803
Bob,

I did my first IB Bun Burner 1500 without realizing I accomplished it. I was advised by few motorcyclists with 20+ years of experience to do about 600 miles a day and call it a quit. On my first long distance motorcycle trip which is from NC to Albuquerque, I woke up at 6am and hit the road with plan to quit when I hit 600 miles. Well, next thing I knew I was in Memphis TN (I left Mocksville, NC at 6am) and it was 1pm (in Arkansas) and I already hit 600 miles so I said to myself why stop? I kept going and end up in Oklahoma 8pm that night so I got a room. 900 miles that day. Next morning I woke up at 5am (6am eastern time in NC) and hit the road. I got to Albuquerque before 4pm local time. That would be 6pm eastern time. Someone on the forum pointed out that I have just done 1,500 miles within 36 hours.

So you guessed it, I decided to do 1,000 within 24 hours and said to myself if I had about 8-10 hours to spare I would go after the 1,500 miles. I took one full day before the departing date to get plenty of rest, drank plenty of water and avoided any meat in my meal limiting myself to salad and light foods. I bought 8 bottled waters to put inside the cooler (I was doing it in August so it was really hot). I brought a set of nabs. In the morning, I left Albuquerque and rode on I-40 heading east. I would take turn on each fuel break limiting 1st, 3rd, 5th, and so on to a 5 minutes refueling and drink up cold water before getting back on the road. On each 2nd, 4th, 6th, and so on, I would allow myself 20-mins break to refuel, restroom, water and nab break inside to cool myself off before I hit the road. When I was in western TN, I find myself struggling to stay awake and alert, and find it was difficult to see at night. As a solution, I bought 5-hours energy drink and it actually worked only for 2-3 hours so I drink one every time I refuel and it worked best if you have a car traveling equal or faster of your speed and use their headlight to help you see. When sun rise up in the morning, I suddenly didn't have problem staying awake and went on to do 1,530 miles with only 30 minutes to spare. Big mistake as I learned later that foreign motorcycle odometer is usually off by 10% (I didn't own a GPS so I would recommend you having one when doing IB ride!) and total was 1,462 miles in 24 hours! :( If I had kept on for that last 30 minutes, I probably would have got Bun Burner Gold.

I am planning to attempt 50cc, which is coast to coast in 50 hours or less. This will give me 2nd chance to do 1,500 within 24 hours and you can earn 2 IB in this one trip. As I learned from experienced IB rider, it is best to ride 12-13 hours then sleep for few hours and be up at 5am to ride on the next day repeating the cycle until last 1-2 days then no more sleep and ride hard until you finish.

Why am I doing this? Because I can! I have a high tolerate for enduring! When I finished TAT last August, I didn't stay in Port Orford, Oregon for more than 2 hours. I quickly got on my bike and left Port Orford, OR at 1pm and arrived at Las Vegas the next day at 7pm (rode through night) so I could check out the Expo. I was tired from the TAT but could endure it.

Note: I believe you have to first complete the Bun Burner 1500 (1500mi in 36 hours) before you can take on any challenges. If I am correct, this is intended to ensure riders acknowledge the difficult of enduring long distance riding before taking on more difficult challenges.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #42
Dominatio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I love to ride LD though I have not yet done any IBA trips.

I find my pleasure is to ride for 8 hours a day, multiple days - and depending on the type of routes then I get to 500 miles in that time frame or I don't.

If I were to do the SS I would plan road types that would allow me 500 in 8 hours (Auto Pista in Europe for example) that means I can do 500 miles in 8 hours take an 8 hour break and complete the ride in the final 8 hours. That gives me less than 70 mph for the entire journey and if I exceed that (say average 75) then I get leisurely fuel stops too. Crossing Spain I often do 600+ and even 500 in that time on non-motorway roads - but that is very tiring as you need to be super alert to achieve the speeds necessary to do that. Great roads though. It's amassing how much you sharpen up when you get to a great set of twisties at 400+ mile point after 7 hours in the saddle - great way to end a day LOL.

One of the things I find myself doing to stay alert is calculating where I am in terms of journey percentages. So I know every 50 miles is 10% of my daily target, and I can break it down from there. Some times I am converting kilometers to miles too so it's s pretty active thought process whilst staying safe too, Getting the calcs down to multiples of 3 miles as a percentage definately keeps you thinking
Dominatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #43
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
How many toliet seats can you wear around your neck while traveling x miles on a motorcycle on public roads within x time frame?

This is still to be answered....

I assume toilet seats come in different constructions and weights. So, a ruling would be needed.
May the best toilet seat wearer win...and receive an official printed certificate.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #44
kendoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Bob,
I'm local to you (wallkill) and enjoy the long rides also. I am planning a BBG next June if you are interested.. I train by just riding, 29K YTD thanks to the mild winter and gerbings. Ken
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #45
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Its all great to have bragging rights and the silly little certificate,...........but honestly, ALCANRider has said, ride till your tired and enjoy it.......

I personnally was all wound up all the documentation for my ride in 2011. I kept the journal, every flippin gas receipt, mileage written down with faith at every stop. I did all I needed for the Ultimate Coast to Coast to Coast Challenge. I did Key West to Prudhoe Bay and back to Key West, 14,866 miles in 34 days.....guess what? All the shit for the IBA is still sitting on my dresser. I know in my head that I did it.......don't need a certificate that you actually have to pay for to get. What I do have the is the look of amazement from so many people when I tell them about my ride, alone, and then the pleasure of seeing on intent they are on hearing of the trip and the adventure. I didn't even finish the RR because I got myself so wrapped up in it during the first part of the trip, that after I just didn't care about it. I have the pics and the memories.............

Do the IB, get your certificate if you must....but ride the damn bike and enjoy it!!! One day I might actually send the stuff in, and the reason why.....when I am dead and gone, my kids will have something to show their kids that they can do anything they set their mind to.

sorry for the soapbox.........really.......
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote