Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
Moparmanpete OP
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Talking Do over

Well, today we tried to finish what should have been finished last week,

This morning I was prepared, Had my winter gloves on, Checked the scoot over about ten times, Checked gear and tools about five times,
Then headed out, topped of at the gas station ( $3.75 worth of premium ) and we were on the road! We were flying out of town at the speed of smell, I was warm, and full of confidence for the roads ahead!
15 miles down the road I remember to turn on the GPS trip recorder

I was warm and knew the roads so I didn't stop until I got through New Lexington for a short break.

Here's ya a picture in picture

I was really digging having full power for the curves of 669 it was a lot better than last time.

I continued on 669 to Eagleport and turned north up Old Rriver road and jumped the river on the bridge at Gaysport, where I picked up 376.
I was still undecided which route I was going to take right up to the last second.
I decided to go straight on Rualdale rd and pick up 284 to the south. after having to sputter north on 284 it was a blast to fly south! I tried to stop for some pics of this stretch but my damn right hand said NO!

I ended 284 into 78 and there is where I had reached my destination.......

The Big Huskie meets the Big Muskie

so much for that idea (second line from the bottom)

I wanted to get a shot of her in that bucket so bad.......

I just about tried when the park attendent left but, a herd of crusiers showed up and the park started to get too darn busy

From there I headed on down 78 in to McConellesville and stopped to top off the tank, she was showing just under half tank but, Better safe than stuck, I did have extra gas with me just in case. I jumped on 376 out of town and enjoyed the curves. The wind was pretty strong on top the ridge.

I even had a passenger

From there I continued on 376 back into Gaysport and back down Old River road, I wanted to see how the water looked so I ran on down to the Rockaby Lock

This tree top was floating in a big circle

From there I back tracked home, which I really didn't want to do but, I figured I better get home in one piece this time.
It was the first time I had gone west on those roads though. Heading home was some what uneventful, I did have a pair of "Good Ole Boys" run right up on my ass just west of New Lex, I pulled over and they went on. I ran across a heat seeking Beagle, we damn near met face to wheel, Well within 3 inches, Wish I had a helmet cam, I was proud of my manuvering on that one. Practice practice practice

All in all I had a blast, and she did great

Thank you for your time
Take care and ride safe
Pete

87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post

so much for that idea (second line from the bottom)

Yeah, but you weren't on a motorcycle, you were on a scooter. Should've just piloted the scoot right on up there, 'cause that would've been cool to see the scoot in the bucket. If they said anything, just claim ignorance. Oh, I didn't realize that applied to scooters too. I bet you'd see a change to their rules sign.

Looks like another nice ride, along with good scenery. Rock on.

the_sandman_454 screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 10:54 PM
the_sandman_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #18
Moparmanpete OP
Support all riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
Yeah, but you weren't on a motorcycle, you were on a scooter. Should've just piloted the scoot right on up there, 'cause that would've been cool to see the scoot in the bucket. If they said anything, just claim ignorance. Oh, I didn't realize that applied to scooters too. I bet you'd see a change to their rules sign.

Looks like another nice ride, along with good scenery. Rock on.

Thanks Buddy
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Moparmanpete OP
Support all riders

Well, I hope to ride to Zanesville to do a run down the 555 to Belpre and back this sunday.
Looks like it will be about 200 miles round trip so it should be interesting.
I really pushing my luck now.

Pete
Old 10-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
Moparmanpete OP
Support all riders

Laugh And push my LUCK I did!

7:45am
Talk about one cold morning! 40 degrees

As you can see she was a little back heavy.

Made my first stop just outside of Glenford 30 miles in

Made it to the begining of 555
45 miles in

Just down the road about a mile.

Second stop was Portersville, I didn't look at the milage, I was pretty darn cold and the keep having to deal with a slight stumble again. and for some dumb reason I decided not to top off the gas tank?

Well the next 60 or so miles were a blast! Those curves were so much fun, a few corners were a little dirty but not to bad, I didn't really get the chance to stop and take pictures, I guess I was in "GO MODE", As I went the stumble was managable to deal with.

Around noon I rolled to the end of the road.
I looked towards the east and saw a gas station which was a good thing, I was below E and had already used my spare gas bottle.

It was 6.75 to fill her up and the spare gas bottle, new record!

We came this far I wasn't about to not see the river.

Made a few calls to check in and started heading back. I had began to sprinkle alittle too.
As I made my way back up 555 I began seeing dozens of sports cars and the like coming the other way, lots of Corvettes and import tuners, even a few Porshes. I was almost given a nice looking Ferrari when he came over a hill alittle on my side.

Just before Ringgold I decided I needed a break and turned off

Well the ride was pretty uneventful going through New Lexington with only 30 miles to go. I was debating on taking the main road back and having to deal with the traffic or just ride the back roads home
Back roads won, sadly

About 5 miles later one of the front wheel bearing began to squeel alittle, I wasn't too worried about it though.
10 miles later as I ride down a wash boarded gravel road, The exhaust grows louder.........Damn tin can metal! Muffler cracked all the way around right behind my weld,

Oh well,
But now she is running very rough.......We trouge on!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 miles later and we a still moving loud and rough, moving right along, still smiling about what we had done for the day. As I look down the very long straight stretchof road I can see the sun shining way down the road. Cool! First sunlight of the day we had seen! and then it starts pouring down rain can't win!

Well the sunshine was gone before we reach the area where it was, on we went.

As we rolled into the out skirts of town we had to pull over because she was growing too loud for some reason?
Now the muffler was just bearly hanging on,the brackets were begining to break away from the muffler
A few kicks and it was off, stuffed it in the top box

hmmmmmm.........

Called the wife, she was at the county fair with the kids, I wasn't about to ask her to bring the truck and wait around.

hmmmmmmm.......

She was stumbling bad and was very very loud, but we just had to make it across town and we were good.

One unintentional BIG wheelie and we were about a half mile home.

It really seemed like we were going to make it just fine then suddenly.....
Psssssss, Slide to the left Slide to the right Slide back to left .....WTF Back tire went flat fast!
She never went down but what a wild ride!

I got her off the road way, and collected my thoughts.

We were about 200 yards from home now what.
Hmmmmmm......
Well she still ran so I just walked her the rest of the way home.

What a day!

Apparently the valve stem was only rated for 2500 miles

Well we did make it round trip, on our own, so to me thats a win

Thank you for your time
Take care and ride safe and soon
Pete
Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Mangle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
How does a valve stem go like that?

Annoying about your muffler. Could the missing muffler do any possible engine damage? Just curious.

Nice ride report.
Mangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
Moparmanpete OP
Support all riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangle View Post
How does a valve stem go like that?

Annoying about your muffler. Could the missing muffler do any possible engine damage? Just curious.

Nice ride report.
Thanks Buddy,
Not quite sure what happened to the valve stem really, I have been wanting to replace them because the were pretty weather cracked but was hoping the could wait until I got my winter tires. Apparently not .

I have "heard" that running without a muffler can burn up the exhaust valves and stress the wrist pin from the lack of back pressure. I'm going to just order a replacement muffler from the Wildfire dealer and leave it alone.

Pete
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
NICE report!

That overall time of 5hrs and xx minutes on your GPS indicated that you had an enjoyable trip instead of being hurried. To me personally that is what "ADV'ing" is all about. To others it may be about something else but I really liked this report.

There are folks on equipment that cost a LOT more and have another $5 - $15K worth of farkles on em that would have a hard time enjoying a trip as much as you did -

J
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #24
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421

What's this wooden decked bridge looking thing? That looks interesting. Would it be sturdy enough to ride on? Does it go anywhere, or was this part of an abandoned route, foot path, etc?

That sounds like quite a few issues building up toward the end of the trip. Glad to hear the valve stem didn't let loose til the end. Are those tubed or tubeless tires? Do you think the current muffler is just defective or will a factory replacement do the same as this one?

That does look like a relaxing pace. I would probably benefit from something that caused me to slow down and enjoy the trip rather than focus so much on the destination. The low fuel burn rate would be another bonus.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #25
Moparmanpete OP
Support all riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
NICE report!

That overall time of 5hrs and xx minutes on your GPS indicated that you had an enjoyable trip instead of being hurried. To me personally that is what "ADV'ing" is all about. To others it may be about something else but I really liked this report.

There are folks on equipment that cost a LOT more and have another $5 - $15K worth of farkles on em that would have a hard time enjoying a trip as much as you did -

J
Thanks Buddy
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #26
Moparmanpete OP
Support all riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post

What's this wooden decked bridge looking thing? That looks interesting. Would it be sturdy enough to ride on? Does it go anywhere, or was this part of an abandoned route, foot path, etc?

That sounds like quite a few issues building up toward the end of the trip. Glad to hear the valve stem didn't let loose til the end. Are those tubed or tubeless tires? Do you think the current muffler is just defective or will a factory replacement do the same as this one?

That does look like a relaxing pace. I would probably benefit from something that caused me to slow down and enjoy the trip rather than focus so much on the destination. The low fuel burn rate would be another bonus.
That was an old train tressle that crosses the river, it doesn't go any further than that anymore, I didn't even want to walk on it, but one could get a bike it.

The tires are tubless, I had heard bad reviews about the valve stems and did have spares with me, but I feel that maybe one of the broken muffler brackets may have snagged on it, not positive though. I am thinking about noodling the next set of tires, just to set how it works out.

When I first got the scoot I cut apart the muffler and gutted the inside and welded it back together
http://youtu.be/ff1sxLmTvxs
and since then I have been dealling with cracking around the welds. The welds hold but the metal on either side gets too brittle and cracks. I think if I hadn't messed with it, it probly would still be fine. Right now I'm trying to decide wether to go back to stock or make my own custom muffler.

I still wish that I had stopped to take more pics, saw a lot of nice scenery, maybe next time.

Pete
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #27
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
This is a great ride report(s). Just want you to know that Cheng Shin makes a nice little block pattern tire that is a lot tougher than those stockers, is cheap, and will get a much better grip on dirt. I would not put the stock pipe back on after all the trouble you have had with that one! I am sure the aftermarket can improve on it. We changed the one on a Yam Riva and it ran a lot better and does not break. The adventure is the road and not the bike. And not even getting wet feet is priceless. Have fun ......... Look at SCOOTER thread if you have not already done so.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #28
Bearcat
burg1

Oddometer: 105
Great RR. and pictures. It's good to see more scooters doing long rides.
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #29
Moparmanpete OP
Support all riders

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
This is a great ride report(s). Just want you to know that Cheng Shin makes a nice little block pattern tire that is a lot tougher than those stockers, is cheap, and will get a much better grip on dirt. I would not put the stock pipe back on after all the trouble you have had with that one! I am sure the aftermarket can improve on it. We changed the one on a Yam Riva and it ran a lot better and does not break. The adventure is the road and not the bike. And not even getting wet feet is priceless. Have fun ......... Look at SCOOTER thread if you have not already done so.
Thanks
I'll look in to the Cheng Shins' for next year I'm looking at running the Vee Rubber 351s this winter

We'll see how they work out.

I would like an aftermarket muffler but they are so damn expensive and I hear you still have to custom a way to support them. I'm still undecided right now and have to figure something out soon.
I hate not being able to ride!

Pete
Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #30
Moparmanpete OP
Support all riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Great RR. and pictures. It's good to see more scooters doing long rides.
Thanks