User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,384
2012 V-Strom DL650, one way to build a build

I've got plenty of comments about how much I'm loving this bike. A lot different...or it just feels that way.

Whatever it is...I like it a lot. Maybe because I feel more in my price range. :) More in the realm of what I am "supposed to have" or what I will actually use

Cumberland, MD....Cumberland Cycles, what a GREAT bunch of guys, great price, great people:

Initially I was just going to commute and was thinking minimalist, no mods--and I'm still not building an adventure bike--but there are some things I have to do since I spend a lot of time on it...

Slick.

MoBill screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 06:30 PM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Destickering...

Not a lot of stickers, 3...two up front and one on the tail:

Real heat gun, no paint stripper, get it at about 240 degrees, 6-8 inches, heat it evenly and then start to work a corner, hotter is better--it'll pull all the adhesive off if you have it evenly heated and scalding to touch, if the sticker starts to delaminate (clear protective film lifting) you're a bit too hot and the sticker will come off in pieces...let it cool and work another corner.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Smola67
AdventureTard

Oddometer: 234
Yes I always tell myself no mods with each bike purchase. Then the UPS truck shows up and I get to play with some tools. It always ends with me having everything I need to make the bike just how I want it. Good luck restraining yourself. Sweet bike!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Bars and handguards....

So, I don't notice a lot of vibes on any bike...I don't go for the "oh I need to fill my bars with lead" or "my seat is to thin, I feel a pea under it"....BUT, I also know now that when there's something you notice that you wont get accustomed to--a few hundred miles and I know the bend in the bars, the sweep is too much, wrists bent in too far.

So, ordered Windam MX/RD Pro Taper Evos, and twistedthrottle.com's Barkbusters, the ones with the big handguards...and a kaoko throttle lock because those things are trick and well...sometimes ya want it...

First prep, I hate shiney shit, clean with Colorrite.com wax and grease remover...disregard the paint on the right--I used Duplicolor Flat Black:

Make my little paint booth, mask off the barbusters because they say f'n Barkbusters in stupid white letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smola67 View Post
Yes I always tell myself no mods with each bike purchase. Then the UPS truck shows up and I get to play with some tools. It always ends with me having everything I need to make the bike just how I want it. Good luck restraining yourself. Sweet bike!

LOL....I know right? This one will be a little more minimal...learned some lessons from overbuilding the first DL, and now have a thing for not drilling a shitload of holes...I want more tidy...an even cleaner install than the Super Tenere

MoBill screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 06:21 AM
Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Removed the old bars, install the Pro Taper Universal Bar Mount Kit:

Notice the difference, again, Windham MX/RM Bend from MC Superstore...

Very touchy over on the L/S, not a lot of room--used the Dremel to burn off the corner of the L/S switchgear, to make room for the clutch handle--the issue? Pro Tapers have VERY little perch room, and the Strom has BIG f'n switchgear...it's OK...

Oh...Oxford heated grips too...Woops...

Oh, and my old Ram ball for under the mirror:

I stuck with the Oxford controller, like 75 bucks for the whole damn kit from Lockit.com (WTF right?) why not take advantage of that savings--I love a dial control, but lets give this one a shot...

Give a look to the velcro closed conduit...didn't work out--used a scissor cut-able 1'' mesh like that--smaller, tidier...and slid right over the connectors by expanding and then contracting...

Nice...not a lot of shiite up there...
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
Some folks just can't leave well enough alone Every bike I vow not to over do it.. then I see stuff like this on this site... and next thing I know.. it's on my bike

Old 09-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Replaced the conduit...not a big deal...just a comment on making things tidy...as described above 1/2", not 1" expandable....1/2" flexo clean cut from wirecare.com

Next up....3 circuit solution....
Old 09-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Removed the old bars, install the Pro Taper Universal Bar Mount Kit:

Notice the difference, again, Windham MX/RM Bend from MC Superstore...
Nice choice. I ended up with Pastrana FMX Contour bars myself, but I tried the CR Highs first. For whatever reason the Pastrana bars had quite a bit more room on the perch than the CR Highs.

I love the feel of the Protaper. Makes the stockers feel like wet noodles to me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Some folks just can't leave well enough alone Every bike I vow not to over do it.. then I see stuff like this on this site... and next thing I know.. it's on my bike

Right!?!?!?!? I know...we're each completely responsible for one another's credit card bill..."aw crap look how he did THAT..I do it every week...and F that farkle thread. Bastages...

Check this stuff out:

http://www.wirecare.com/product.asp?pn=WC00032648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Nice choice. I ended up with Pastrana FMX Contour bars myself, but I tried the CR Highs first. For whatever reason the Pastrana bars had quite a bit more room on the perch than the CR Highs.

I love the feel of the Protaper. Makes the stockers feel like wet noodles to me.
Thanks. If I'd known I would have chosen a different protaper..But I don't think it would have influenced the fact that the Barkbusters DO contact the fairing a bit...on either side of the instruments.

That said the feel is incredible, absolute total transformation of the feel, fooling around roosting in the dirt and I feel like I'm on a dirtbike. I love their stuff! You're spot on

Seriously, love this thing, feels like a feather compared to the last generation. Might just be me, everything I know I stole from someone here or a few other places on the innerwebs.

MoBill screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 07:27 PM
Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

3CS Solution....

So I ordered from EasternBeaver.com, as Mr Phil noted on FB, they do great stuff:
  • Fairing connector kit, accessory adapter (not going to install it...not gonna do it), but it's right there. already wired to the fuse box...hmmm

3 Circuit Solution with one unswitched

V-Strom tail light harness connector (to power the relay without using a posi-tap, not that there's anything wrong with em, but EB makes this THING that goes f'n CLICK!!)

-Unswitched: Bundled into the same circuit: Powerlet cig lighter under the seat, Tank bag power and and SAE you see up front on the bars...I like to have that there for GPS and to charge the battery...etc, etc....

-Switched 1: Heated Grips...I like to wire them direct...just a thing

-Switched 2: SAE underseat to add a heated gear Coax to seasonally, stays tucked away otherwise--no powerlets drilled into the bodywork.

So step one is to get to the existing tail light connector...Bolts removed for sliding the recovery tank forward....to make room for EasternBeaver.com 3 circuit solution. 3 bolts out of the gas tank bracket and you've got enough room to push the recovery tank forward. The connector is at the bottom of a small bundle of wires right under the recovery tank

Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

So the 3CS has an option for a DIY kit...so I'm going to make my own harnesses for the grips, the combo unswitched front SAE/Underseat Powerlet/underseat tank bag power....easy to make, just crimp carefully--I sort of roll the tabs onto the insulation first, so they're overlapping neatly and then roll the tabs over the bare wire portion, alternatively squeezing them together and crimping them down:

At the bottom here you see the harness from the front--the Oxford wiring harness and my Front SAE...the Oxford stuff is bulky as hell...here I used the velcro closing stuff from wirecare.com...mainly in this pic I'm illustrating where I put the 3CS fuse bundle--and the remainder of the bits in the 3CS are tucked under the frame, in this awesome pocket I use for tools on the R/S and the wiring on the L/S:

Mounted:

So, harness for heated gear (SAE terminus) and capped off wire (future tank bag..not going to build my own this time)

Here a few variations on the same picture:

Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Hayden#69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
So when are you going to get to the Woodys wire wheel conversion? Im starting to like the new wii more and more but man I sure was hoping for a 21 front and spoked wheels. I mean REALLY??? Come on! You even called the black one an Adventure. If I knew there was spoked wheels out there for this new bike, Id find it hard not to have one.

Hayden.
Hayden#69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

You want what I had last.

Wee=affordable transportation with a very slight ADV bent (stock that is)...you can do shiite to it, but "boots cost money"...I wouldn't change a thing, $8269 OTD, tax, title, fees...TANSTAAFL

What you're describing is this, which I also had, and loved, did precisely what it was designed to do:

I think there's a top case waiting for me at home.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Hayden#69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Oh Ive looked at the Ten for sure. 800xc too. But everytime I think about 13-14k, tags, taxes, then modding with bags, protection etc. You better have 20k in the bank to have it sitting in your garage like you want it. Ugggg not in todays economy. That wii Adv looks alot more doable for me. Of course If I could sell off 3 or 4 bikes.....the Ten may be in reach, LOL.

Hayden.
Hayden#69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Yup.....the question she answer herself.

So, tonight...Givi E370 Monokey, much smaller than the bloated 52L tick I had on the Tenere from Amotostuff.com, great folks, ADV discount and all that what...

Too easy...not much to show here, a 10 minute installation:

I like it, it's little-er...and I can walk around it.