Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,077
Thinking About A Sidecar Rig? Read On . . .

Boredom is truly the devil's workshop, but was always intrigued by the 'looks' of a sidecar rig. Over two years ago I had an '07 R1200GSA Adventure not getting many miles so did minimal research, went with DMC/Jay in WA. No regrets whatsoever. But, I offer some food for thought if you are considering:
1. It isn't a motorcycle anymore. Perhaps better described as a contrivance, contraption, but get motorcycle out of your head at least from a handling perspective. If you can, drive one and be sure what you get is what you expect.
2. It's fun, it's handy, and if you are getting tentative with that big HD, LT, GT, or any big bike, it's an alternative way better than a trike or the Can-Am Spyder. Just an opinion tho'.
3. I only offer my experiences as others will differ. Knowing nothing about hacks other than the way they looked I trusted the vendor, in my case DMC. There are others. I wanted some specifics, that were minimal, and got my way. E.g. I didn't want carpeting but rather a painted Rhino type coating for the interior. Other than that I wanted the rig to match the bike in appearances, color, etc.

I went with sidecar brakes but they are optional: Glad I did. I went with package that lifted, lowered sidecar for road camber, cross-winds, etc. I don't use it that much, but when I do it makes a big difference. Highly recommended.

Unless you are saint of a driver, expect a decrease in fuel mileage.

Most importantly, don't be disappointed when you get it back. It's different, so different you might consider why you did it. Stick with it and I promise much enjoyment and fun.

jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
And don't forget the benefit of vastly improved upper body strength!

Better than a gym membership and far more fun.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Part of the reason I'm interested in a sidecar rig is that I enjoy riding my Polaris ATV in the winter and wish it was street legal. I kind of view a sidecar bike as a street legal ATV. It would be more stable than a bike when the streets have snow and ice on them. A side benefit is being able to take my wife and son on a ride. Am I correct in comparing driving a hack to riding an ATV on the street?
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Part of the reason I'm interested in a sidecar rig is that I enjoy riding my Polaris ATV in the winter and wish it was street legal. I kind of view a sidecar bike as a street legal ATV. It would be more stable than a bike when the streets have snow and ice on them. A side benefit is being able to take my wife and son on a ride. Am I correct in comparing driving a hack to riding an ATV on the street?
A bit but not exactly. I have driven a quad on local roads because they are legal in my township but I would not call it exactly like the hack.

The 3 wheel configuration of a sidecar is unique and is different (obviously) from a solo bike, but also very different from either kind of trike (standard or inverted ie Sypder).

In some ways, the sidecar rig is better for passengers and certainly is more road suitable than an ATV.

As has been posted in dozens of past threads, be prepared for a learning curve. It is neither steep nor difficult, but so unique that you cannot skip over the stages of learning, especially for the sake of your wife and child.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
There are some free downloads here that will give you some insight on operating a sidecar.
Steering will be similar to your ATV, think about having a 200# deer strapped to the side of your 4 wheeler.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
jkmolt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thinking about a sidecar?

I find that riding my rig is becoming more and more enjoyable, and fun. So much so that I'm considering hacking my 09 T100 Triumph Bonneville. Definitely it's different, but in a fabulous way, and as was stated previously, it keeps an old guys upper body in pretty good shape.
jkmolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
A bit but not exactly. I have driven a quad on local roads because they are legal in my township but I would not call it exactly like the hack.

The 3 wheel configuration of a sidecar is unique and is different (obviously) from a solo bike, but also very different from either kind of trike (standard or inverted ie Sypder).

In some ways, the sidecar rig is better for passengers and certainly is more road suitable than an ATV.

As has been posted in dozens of past threads, be prepared for a learning curve. It is neither steep nor difficult, but so unique that you cannot skip over the stages of learning, especially for the sake of your wife and child.
ATV's since they are all quads NOW and trikes abandoned, as far as I know, has to have no similarity, as the ATV, especially ones with power steering, are symmetrical with drive for all intents and purposes linearly applied to both wheels. Sidecar rigs, asymmetrical, drive being off to left and this 'thing' hanging on your right that wants to exert a force on the drive vehicle, with a spinning/twisting moment arm. But, that's just my opinion and many I know are startled when they drive one for the first time and/or lament, what the hell did I do to my motorcycle? But that passes quickly and the fun sets in!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Amigo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I really like your rig! A couple of years ago I acquired a new Ural T, mostly just to go riding with my dog. We love it. I am seriously considering having Jay set me up with a sidecar on my GSA. Can you offer any other wisdom specific to my desire? I would likely sell my Ural or trade it for another touring bike, so I would still have a "real" motorcycle.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
richardak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:

I must admit that being able to ride all through the winter was the initial reason for adding the third wheel. Not to carry passengers or the other benefits. Just wanted to ride on the snow and ice. I had the airhead already and knew all about its mechanicals so just looked for an inexpensive sidecar. I found one locally, it included a DMC subframe and DMC made it so I could mount it safely.

I'm having a blast and I sometimes wish for 2WD and reverse when the snow gets deep and maybe one day I'll make the move. But for now, street legal fun in the snow! Studded tires generally keep me pointed in the right direction. Lots of great advice here in these forums.

And I haven't felt any inclination to remove the sidecar during the Summer.
richardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:02 AM   #10
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
I really like your rig! A couple of years ago I acquired a new Ural T, mostly just to go riding with my dog. We love it. I am seriously considering having Jay set me up with a sidecar on my GSA. Can you offer any other wisdom specific to my desire? I would likely sell my Ural or trade it for another touring bike, so I would still have a "real" motorcycle.
I'm always amazed by the numbers of hack drivers that got into it because of their dog and the company the dog will provide. Not being a dog owner I can't appreciate the bond between man and dog. With regards to the 'rig', I'm sure DMC can put together something that will meet your needs, along with any of the other vendors.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #11
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
John, how many miles have you clocked on your neat looking DMC ?
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:52 AM   #12
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
John, how many miles have you clocked on your neat looking DMC ?
Probably <1000 miles but having owned 4 other motorcycles and some personal issues that have curtailed my long-distance touring, it's understandable.

The hack fills in some very nice gaps for me. Besides being fun to ride, it of course is a mule and does yeoman service for trips to the supermarket etc.
But, as an amateur photographer it's superb. I can keep my camera and equipment very handy, carry a tripod, but perhaps the best thing is when I choose to take a shot I don't have to worry about balancing a motorcycle, can get up on pegs to get equipment, etc. People with hobbies, e.g. golf, multiple tennis racquets, etc. the hack is a joy.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 AM   #13
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Cross FL rally ..March

John, there is a DS cross FL mostly back roads & then over night in Ceder Key & ride back a different way or just ride home.
You interested in joining in ?

We could have some fun running at our own pace.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #14
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
John, there is a DS cross FL mostly back roads & then over night in Ceder Key & ride back a different way or just ride home.
You interested in joining in ?

We could have some fun running at our own pace.
PM sent.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
prstone50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
I just picked up a 2013 Ural gear up and that was the first thing I thought was 'man this is just like an atv!' But way cooler hah! Have to say it is really nice being able go ride in the snow. Greatly increased my riding time...all year.
prstone50 is offline   Reply With Quote