Posted in Thumpers:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979076
Old 05-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
WesGrizz OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
It just won't run right

Hello all,

I'm new to Adventure Rider, and I must say I am already impressed by the amount of knowledge compiled here! However, I've searched the internet high and low to no avail. I just can't figure out what the hell is going on here....

I bought this 2000 Kawa KE100 a few weeks ago for $250 (~150) with a clear title but no key. It has sat outside for the past 5 years or so. So far I got a new key, I've replaced the battery, spark plug, carb float needle, carb bowl gasket, cleaned out carburetor at least 5 times including main and pilot jets in with Stoddard, and this thing just won't run right! I have run myself ragged kicking this thing over OVER AND OVER.

Now, after all that it WILL start only if I cover the the carb throat with my hand and alternate covering and uncovering the choke hole. If it warms up, it will run and rev normally, idling a little high, but as soon as I let the clutch out, its dead, even when just barely easing into it at high rpm. Overall, the carb is very touchy, and if I want it to keep running, I have to keep covering and uncovering the throat and/or choke. It will start right up on starter fluid

I'm assuming there's an air leak somewhere, but I can't really get it to run long enough to find it. Also, it looks like its getting a nice spark, but could a weak spark be the reason it needs LESS air?? It won't start at all with the carb cover in place with a new gasket.....

I am an intermediate-level aircraft mechanic with extensive knowledge of carburetors, but I am completely stumped here...please help.

Thanks!

WesGrizz screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 12:52 PM
WesGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Too much air/lean with cover off . Rich/clogged filter with cover on?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
WesGrizz OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks joexr. I removed the foam filter with the pleated paper filter still in place, so I doubt it is over-rich. I just haven't gotten around to changing it yet since I'm not riding it. I tried starting it while putting my hand over the airbox opening with no luck.

The only other things I can think of are the seals between the carb and case and maybe the crank seal....
Old 05-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
What sort if compression does it have?

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:33 AM   #6
ihatemybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Make sure the carb is on tight, I was getting blow back around mine.

Check for ignition leaks. Your ignition wire is old and they like to crack near the coil and arc to ground. This is all hidden under the tank. When I replaced my fuel line I left it long enough to be able to move the tank to see whats going on under it.

And finally the one that bit me in the ass when I first got mine running again. The shift pattern in 1 down, 4 up. (1-N-2-3-4-5) Not shifting into first will stall the engine.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Probably need to change the crankshaft seals. If they leak it will cause an overlean condition.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer: 226
Base Gasket?

How does your base gasket look? Is it squished out from between the cases? I have replaced base gaskets in my KE100 about every 1000 miles. It seems that thermal cycles on this hot running little engine result in the cylinder expanding and crushing the hell out of the gasket. The symptom was hard starting and rough idle at first. As the crankcase seal gets worse she gets to where she just won't run. Any problem with crankcase sealing could do this such as crank seals. The KE carb is pretty simple, and you've covered that base.
RayAlazzurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,971
Sounds like maybe the float isn't letting enough fuel into the bowl try raising the fuel level a little and make sure you don't have the float bowl vent plugged off.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #10
ihatemybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Any luck?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
hulkster73
n00b

Oddometer: 1
carb lean

I just went through this with a 95 ke100.
Cleaned and rebuilt carb several times, could not get it to idle.
Soaked carb in clearer for two days still could not get to idle.

Then,

I rejetted, I went from 77.5 main to a 80 and 17.5 pilot to 20.

I think what the problems was the old jets even after cleaning where not letting enough fuel into the mix causing a lean condition.
The pilot jet is responsible for fuel delivery from 0-1/8 throttle and its really hard to clean.
btw make sure your slide is seated mine would get stuck about 3/4 of the way down and cause it to over rev with the choke on.

After tearing into the carb 10 times, $8 worth of jets solved my problem.

Starts first kick and idles great now.

hulkster73 screwed with this post 06-17-2014 at 01:26 PM
hulkster73 is offline   Reply With Quote