Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #31
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
xt225-xt250-tw200-crf230l-crf250l-klx250s-dr200se-wr250r-wr250x-klr250-etc, all those bikes will be great for you,(maybe not the wr250r since you are 5'4 and its a tall bike) being so light (110 pounds) each one of those bikes will have plenty of power for you, search and search cl until you find a deal, you can ride them for a year or two then sell if you want to for about the same price you paid for them, good luck and ride safely.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #32
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,386
One word.

BUSA!

You guys are getting soft!!

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperbuddy View Post
JCkid, Im a dude. LOL. and in NY, I dont believe there is a motorcycle learners permit. Additionally, I have nowhere near enough moolah saved yet to buy a bike.
The last time I got a learners permit in NY it was in 1974, but they had a motorcycle learner's permit. Odd rule back then. You could have your bike permit, but not get your bike license until after you'd gotten your auto license - so you had a "license" and your MC was merely an endorsement to that license. Of course, I never had a NY license that wasn't green cardboard, no photo, no lamination, no nuttin'.

MC permit was so you could ride in the company of a licensed rider, on the road, to get the experience they wanted you to have prior to taking the riding test. Didn't used to be done in a parking lot. You went with the bike and licensed driver to take the tester in your car. You were told what to do by beeps of the horn. Wonder if they still do that.

No doubt things have changed since the invention of rope.

Something that I forgot to (ahem, strongly) suggest, and I haven't seen anyone else suggest it either so I'll do it now, is to look for a local MSF class. Not only a great way to get some good hands on instruction, but an easy way to actually get that MC endorsement on your license when you're ready. My wife got her license that way. No test, no nothing. She passed the course, got a certificate from them and went to the DMV and they just added the MC endorsement to her license. Very helpful and the easiest way to get one's license that I'm aware of.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #34
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
One word.
BUSA!
You guys are getting soft!!
Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
If he'd have asked his questions in JoMomma . . . Well, yeah. It would have been BAM! And I'm sure that the BUSA would have been the only suggestion made before he was quickly invited to go out for some Viking food with Paul. But breaking out with honest, informed and well thought out questions in Thumpers? Nah, good advice was given by all.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #35
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

Oddometer: 40
First, on the idea of an MSF class: MY dad has taken thm twice, and hated it both times. Wont go into dertails, but its not my cup of tea. Anyway,

Went to a dealership (formula one motorsports on long island) a little bit ago with dad, and we oogled a bit, and then got down to business. They had no Crf250L, but they did have a CRF250X, which I liked very much, although a tad too tall, id grow enough to be comfortable by the time i can get one. I ASSUME the X is around the same height as the L, although Im probably wrong. Thoughts?

Also, We saw a WR250R, and I realized the hopelessness of my situation. My 6'3" dad, with something like a 35" inseam couldnt comofrtably flatfoot the bike, even after the suspension sagged down some. I realized that Id never be able to ride that bike, not for a few more years at least.

On the other hand, I sat on and thoroughly loved an '02 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Seat was comfortable, I flatfooted it, legs fit perfectly into the fairing, back and head angle was phenomenal, and it felt like the bike was built for me. Also, with its light weight and fair power, im sure itd get me back and forth to school and friends houses in quite a hurry. Ripping down trails and crossing streams may be a bit of a different story...

Also, I oogled an '07 GSXR750, but ran when I saw the price tag. I would have comfortably fit, but it probably has way too much power for all my 110 pounds, and its also much heavier and MUCH more expensive. Plus, im not a sportbike guy, not for my first bike at least. I can see there are plenty of great first bikes, everything from sportbikes to cruisers, but what I REALLY want is a dual sport. Im not a fan of the TDubb's, i want more modern power and handling, and I also just plain dont like the way they look. Im pretty sure, as my initial idea was, that the Honda is gonna be the way to go. Ill probably end up looking for a used CRF250L when the time comes.
thumperbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #36
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
You don't really need to "flat foot" a relatively light weight bike like 250 dual sports. Even at 6'2" I can't touch more than my toes on my KTM's. I was talking to a 5' nuthin' friend of mine last weekend about whether she could touch the ground on her BMW 650 GS. Even with the low seat all she can touch are her toes. But that is all she needs even on that 500 pound beast. But she also has many years of riding under her belt.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #37
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

i understand a flatfoot isnt neccesary: when my mom began riding in her teens, she was on a reletively tall CB360, considering she was around 4'11". She used to sit on her thigh, hang off one side of the bike, and touch one foot's toes on the ground to stop, or simply dismount off the left side as she came to a stop. Wasnt there a BMW Dakar racer who did the dismount thing?

I dont know, hopefully ill gain a few inches in the next year, as well as find a honda, which not only would i prefer, but its also the shortest of the three bikes.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #38
uconnapharm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
fuel injection vs carb ?????

all things considered - make mine FUEL INJECTION
uconnapharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #39
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,885
When I was 16 I bought a Hodaka Ace 100 B. A few months later Honda came out with the SL100. The Honda was better. When I was 18 I bought a Montesa 250 King Scorpion. A few months later Honda came out with the XL250. The Honda was better. Five years later I bought a Yamaha XT500D. A year later Honda came out with the XL500. The Honda was better. I sold the XT and bought the Honda.

You're lucky the Honda is out now. Buy the Honda.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #40
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

LOL. I guess nothing can beat Honda's bulletproof reliability. Today, I also saw a Honda CBR250, that was interesting, and has the same engine as the CRF250L, and ive heard nothing but great things about the CBR250.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #41
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
I've heard nothing but great things about the CBR250.
Yes, wonderful motorcycle. But I'd rather see you get the dual sport. Dirt riding will make you a better, more skillful, safer street rider. If you later decide you prefer the street you'll be ahead for a lifetime for having the extra dirt experience.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #42
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Whatever you get, get a used bike to start with. You will save thousand$, and if you don't like it, you can pretty much get your money back, that is NOT the case with new bikes. You will tube thousand$ if you decide you want something else, and still owe the bank the difference.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #43
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

I wouldnt consider the cbr250 for a first bike, or any bike. i plan to own a sportbike at some point in my life, but at heart i think ill always favor being a dual sport rider.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #44
bongodave
Legalize it, already

Oddometer: 39,090
Quote:
I wouldnt consider the cbr250 for a first bike, or any bike. i plan to own a sportbike at some point in my life, but at heart i think ill always favor being a dual sport rider.
That's where I ended up, too. I'm old enough to be your dad, but for all-round fun, DS bikes are where it's at for me. I really do ride the roads to get to the trails, and that's my nirvana.

For everything else, I use a car.

I've ridden OMG sportbikes, Harleys, big adventure bikes, standards, etc. They're all fun, since they're motorcycles, but I've come to prefer the agility and versatility of a dirtbike with a plate. I like the idea of riding it wherever I point it. Can't do that with a car, or most motorcycles.

IMO, dualsports are also the best bikes to ride in a big city. You can't get a 'busa out of 1st, and it's really heavy. How often do you go 150 in a day? If the answer is "all the time," then get a big, fast sportbike.

If not, a 250 DS bike will do just fine for putting around town, commuting, and hitting the trails now and then.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #45
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 802
At 5'4", I reckon the honda will be the only one you will be able to ride.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote