Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #46
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
At 5'4", I reckon the honda will be the only one you will be able to ride.
Nope. A buddy has a KLX250S lowered with a Kouba link, and at 5'5" I have an easy reach to the ground. That's a very nice bike with a strong following and a world of aftermarket support; it would definitely be on my short list.

thumperbuddy--- you seem like one heck of a wise, mature 15 year old. Keep those questions and observations coming. I'm enjoying the heck out of this thread.

Sarah
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #47
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperbuddy View Post
LOL. I guess nothing can beat Honda's bulletproof reliability. Today, I also saw a Honda CBR250, that was interesting, and has the same engine as the CRF250L, and ive heard nothing but great things about the CBR250.
The "nothing can beat Honda's bulletproof reliability" might be a little bit of an overstatement. I worked at a dealership as a mechanic for 15 years that sold Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha and am still associated with that shop. Your statement might be more correct if you said, "nothing can beat Japanese bike bulletproof reliability"...and yes, this type of statement has its own "holes" to deal with depending on the category of use we're talking about. Honda makes some great bikes. I've had several over the years. I've toured on the road models and raced some of their off road models. I've had a few more Kawasakis...some classics like four Z-1's, KDX175/200's, the original '79 KLX250 air cooled, and now a KLX250/300S. I've never owned a Yamaha, but I haven't seen any more or less in the way of service issues through that shop on Yamahas compared to the other two brands. Honda doesn't hold any magic over the other three major Japanese brands. They make some great motorcycles just like the other guys...and all of them have had their turds too.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #48
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
Yes, wonderful motorcycle. But I'd rather see you get the dual sport. Dirt riding will make you a better, more skillful, safer street rider. If you later decide you prefer the street you'll be ahead for a lifetime for having the extra dirt experience.
Amen, brother.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #49
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,274
Quote:
First, on the idea of an MSF class: MY dad has taken thm twice, and hated it both times. Wont go into dertails, but its not my cup of tea.
Two questions:
1) How long ago did he take the class?

And more importantly;
2) How many years had he been riding before he took the class (either time)?

My wife took it and was happy enough with it. Says she didn't learn all that much in the class that she hadn't already learned from me, but was thrilled with how much easier it made getting her MC endorsement added to her license (you hearing me?).

I asked her if, after having taken the class, she thought I'd benefit from taking it. She said "no."

My fear is that if your father took the class after years of riding there might not have been much they were teaching in the class that he hadn't already known for thirty years. But you're not your father. You're still learning and will still need to get an MC endorsement once you get your license. You and your father are in two vastly different places in your motorcycle riding careers. I don't want to be a nag . . . . but please at least look into taking the class.

Oh, they also have a dirt class.

And this will help as well. http://www.dualsportriding.com/
I own the Dual Sport Riding Techniques dvd and have watched the Advanced Dual Sport Riding Techniques dvd. They are both extremely helpful and have helped me correct years of bad habits. For someone new to motorcycling I'd think they, or at least the first dvd, would be invaluable. The first (Dual Sport Riding Techniques dvd) covers most everything we went over in the class my wife and I took from Ned. And many of the skills, as was mentioned earlier by montesa vr, transfer over to the road.

Hannda screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 09:06 AM
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #50
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,500
My $0.02

I have been riding, off and on, on road and off, for about 30 years. When I let my MC endorsement lapse and after moving to a new state the basic motorcycle course made getting my endorsement easier. Although I had siginficant experience, I found the course educational and am very glad I went through it. I've recommended it to several other long-term riders who have "poo-pooed" the idea since they have so much experience; however, I truly feel any rider, with any amount of experience should be able to take something from the class and as long as they are open to the idea they'll learn something. Even if a person gets one nugget of information from the class, it's probably money well spent. I may have previously "known" almost everything there was presented, I felt I got a lot out of the class.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #51
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,500
BTW, my post is not meant to be preaching about the classes. Do what you want, I know I do.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #52
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
JCkid, Im a dude. LOL. and in NY, I dont believe there is a motorcycle learners permit. Additionally, I have nowhere near enough moolah saved yet to buy a bike.
Sorry about that! I misunderstood, because you listed a women's riding jacket as part of your riding gear. Too bad on no learner's permit in New York. Maybe they don't do that anymore anywhere...not sure. I don't think you can go wrong with your bike choice. The WR, KLX, and CRF should all be good bikes. Pick the one that excites you the most.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #53
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
KLX250s

My 2 cents as well. In 2009 I bought a 2009 KLX250s and have about 3000 miles on it, 70% of them off road and SW desert. It is not the most powerful bike but it has been rock solid, and never let me down. I ride far distances by myself out in the Utah and AZ deserts and if my bike let me down I would be screwed. No cell service, no roads, no nothing. My KLX has taken good care of me. I like it so much, I just bought a 2012 KLX250s as well. Great bikes that don't give up alot. Just get wider footpegs, take out the snorkel and rejet it and you are golden. By the way, I have a 30" inseam and the KLX is fine. Good luck on your search and decision.

ringokelly screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 01:17 PM
ringokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #54
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

Oddometer: 40
Thanks for the compliment Greer. Much appreciated

My dad had been riding about 30 years before he took the class. I dont have much personally against the class, but I dont see a need for it. I no longer need an endorsement. I go to DMV, sign up for my liscense, take a test, and leave with a liscense, there is no permit or endorsement.

I wear a womens jacket because that is the only mesh jacket i could get. It is a womens XS, because thats the size I fit into, while still getting a great jacket.
thumperbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #55
jyellard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Honda

If you had a larger frame, I'd say go with a DR or XR 650 used. But given your frame size I'd go with the Honda 250 for the reliability. Note that I currently, own a KLR 650 and a GasGas 300 but everyone knows a Honda is reliable. The 250 would be best for your size.
jyellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #56
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

Oddometer: 40
Ive been looking at dr-z400S's. I began watching 'TheGardenSnake' on youtube, who has a supermoto converted DRZ400S, and its got me thinking. I can get a used DRZ400S for around the same price as a used honda. It weighs 3 pounds (not significant) LESS than the honda, but its a 400, and the (heavier) Honda is a 250. Normally, this would mean the DRZ has a better power to weight ratio, but, the DRZ is carburated and the honda is fuel injected. Plus, Ive heard that the DRZ is not super powerful as compared to other 400's. Im almost certain its more pwoerful than the honda, but then again, its 150 cc's larger. For now, im comparing stock to stock with no mods.
thumperbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #57
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Well, any decisions?

I picked up a decent looking 03 xt225 that had been pretty neglected. I have had a blast taking it apart and bringing it back to life. i recently replaced the stock jets with a half size larger and it really runs now.

Yeah, the suspension is soft with not nearly the power of my WeeStrom, but I have had more fun on that little bike than I have had since I sold my KLR. In fact, the Wee is being neglected and is now up for sale! The XT climbs like a goat in the woods, too.

I am 57, 5'9 and 170 lbs. You are NEVER too old to enjoy a good basic motorcycle that functions well. Especially when you know or figure out how to make it even better. I will sell the Wee and buy another small ds. They are just more fun.

All the bikes mentioned in this thread are great and I would like 1 of each, please!
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #58
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Hello all,
noob here needing some adivce from all y'all's wisdom. heres the situation: Im turning 16 in about 11 months, and my first purchase as a 16 year old will be my bike. My experience is around 8 years of multi-state 2-up'ing with Dad on His '82 Suzuki GS850L and his '02 BMW R1200C, and occasional dirt riding with friends.

Basically, Ive narrowed my bike choice down to the Kawi KLX250S and Honda's CRF250L. I know I want a Dual Sport, and I can afford up to the price of the Kawi. If im able to come across a used, older DS, be it a Big Four or otherwise when the time comes to buy, Ill snatch it up. The choice between the Honda and the Kawi is assuming I dont find something used, for cheaper that I like more.

Basically, I need opinions on which I should lean toward more for my first bike, as well as any other suggestions that can be thrown in. I need thoughts on size, power to weight, capabilities, reliability, and anything else. Please and thank you.
I appreciate any input, Thanks!
Did you get the Honda yet?

I rode one of these for a 150 mile test ride. The engine and gear box were great and the suspension was fine also - but, the fuel tank is too small. Riding this every day would be a real pain if you do any kind of miles.

But my overriding impression of the bike was: vibes, vibes, vibes.
It was a serious problem that I wasn't prepared to live with. I've heard this is also evident on the CBR250R.

It's a real shame about the vibes. Maybe as the engines get miles on them this won't be so much of a problem (the one I tried was a dealer demonstrator with less than 10 miles on the clock), but be aware. A test ride is essential. If they say you can't test it, wave the money in their face and tell them you'll go else where if they don't.
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #59
the kawasaki kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I love my KLX250. It has far exceeded all of my expectations of what a small cc dual purpose bike could be.
the kawasaki kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #60
Red_dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Buy the Honda, i've got 2- 2004 XR250R and an 2012 CRF250L. the old girl is awesome in the bush, but on the road she's not so good, the CRF is awesome onroad, havent taken it offroad yet.

the rideability of the FI is just insane, will be better once i chip it. My missus is as tall as you and she can handle the CRF no dramas, feet down and all, its very low down with the CoG and the tank is super slim, unlike the old XR, which she can't even get a leg over. i'd sell it to ya (you'd have the only plated XR250R in the country), but she's in gettin a top end and cam rebuild. go Honda, ya wont regret it, 8,000km on the oil change...16,000km on the lobe adjustment = Winning! the XR was every 5thou for oil and when it got tickey, do the tappets, then again its a dry sump (oil in the frame) as opposed to wet sump (CRF), so first investment if you do go Honda, get a bashplate..the oil pump is swinging in the breeze and waiting for a big rock to come and kiss it hello.

EDIT: the vibrations have slowly gone away as the tyres bed in and move around, was horrendous when i first got it, now the 'hair' on the tyres has disappeared so has the vibrations, think its got somethin to do with the grips aswell.

Red_dog screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 12:27 AM Reason: Extra Stuff!
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote