Mad Poser

Oddometer: 748
Lost me at "all y'all's".
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #62
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

Oddometer: 40
Been awhile, and I've done some shopping, but I basically think what I though in the beginning, Honda, of course. Now it's just a matter of raising $4000 in 10 months. Of course, if something else, basically any of the suggestions for a cheaper price, it'll be mine.
thumperbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #63
davidb21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperbuddy View Post
Ive been looking at dr-z400S's. I began watching 'TheGardenSnake' on youtube, who has a supermoto converted DRZ400S, and its got me thinking. I can get a used DRZ400S for around the same price as a used honda. It weighs 3 pounds (not significant) LESS than the honda, but its a 400, and the (heavier) Honda is a 250. Normally, this would mean the DRZ has a better power to weight ratio, but, the DRZ is carburated and the honda is fuel injected. Plus, Ive heard that the DRZ is not super powerful as compared to other 400's. Im almost certain its more pwoerful than the honda, but then again, its 150 cc's larger. For now, im comparing stock to stock with no mods.
fi or not, the drz will kill the honda 250 in every aspect.

really unless you are constantly and drastically changing elevation id rather have a properly jetted pumper over fi anyday.(i like trying to do my own mods/maint/ repairs myself before asking someone to f#%k me at a shop) but that being said none of the bikes mentioned come with a pumpe
davidb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #64
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,025
Quote:
Been awhile, and I've done some shopping, but I basically think what I though in the beginning, Honda, of course. Now it's just a matter of raising $4000 in 10 months. Of course, if something else, basically any of the suggestions for a cheaper price, it'll be mine.
Looks like you're keeping an open mind. Good.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #65
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Ive been looking at dr-z400S's. I began watching 'TheGardenSnake' on youtube, who has a supermoto converted DRZ400S, and its got me thinking. I can get a used DRZ400S for around the same price as a used honda. It weighs 3 pounds (not significant) LESS than the honda, but its a 400, and the (heavier) Honda is a 250. Normally, this would mean the DRZ has a better power to weight ratio, but, the DRZ is carburated and the honda is fuel injected. Plus, Ive heard that the DRZ is not super powerful as compared to other 400's. Im almost certain its more pwoerful than the honda, but then again, its 150 cc's larger. For now, im comparing stock to stock with no mods.
I'm 5'11" and 150lbs, I'm selling my drz because its to much bike for me. At 5'4" and 110lbs, you're going to have a hard time on the drz in my opinion. If you lower it you're going to loose some of the suspension's and bike's dynamics. Yes it is powerful, yes its an AMAZING bike, but get something that you're going to feel confident on the road and off. Just my .02
Pauls2ndblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #66
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
At 5'4" and 110 lbs, the original poster is gonna have a hard time with dropping and picking up any bike. That being said, being so young and chipper on his first steed he could have to pick up a Harley off it's side and still be giggling with joy the whole time.

All the bikes he is considering are heavy dual sports compared to their lighter trailie counterparts (WR250f for example). But if he's stuck on getting a factory dual sport he should get the best one...the WR250R has the best motor and suspension by far as has been tested and proven by tons of riders many of whom are on ADVRider. Hell, people are selling all sorts of bikes and replacing them with a WR250R...it's the new standard in dual sport and for many good reasons. The only minor issue is that the original poster would need to get lower links ASAP for any bike he gets.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #67
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
At 5'4" and 110 lbs, the original poster is gonna have a hard time with dropping and picking up any bike. That being said, being so young and chipper on his first steed he could have to pick up a Harley off it's side and still be giggling with joy the whole time.

All the bikes he is considering are heavy dual sports compared to their lighter trailie counterparts (WR250f for example). But if he's stuck on getting a factory dual sport he should get the best one...the WR250R has the best motor and suspension by far as has been tested and proven by tons of riders many of whom are on ADVRider. Hell, people are selling all sorts of bikes and replacing them with a WR250R...it's the new standard in dual sport and for many good reasons. The only minor issue is that the original poster would need to get lower links ASAP for any bike he gets.
I would tend to agree the WR250R has the best power as delivered in bone stock condition, but the WR250R and KLX250S have basically identical suspensions. One other issue about these bikes is that anyone who's serious about using either bike for some real off road riding in addition to dual sport duties is not going to leave them bone stock for the most part. Pipes, carbs, programmers, big bore kits, etc. are usually part of the progression of the WRR or KLX for those intending to use them semi-seriously. Frankly I think both the KLX and WRR are somewhat disappointing in the suspension department until you revalve them. As to the power delivery of both bikes, they both benefit from fuel delivery work in either the FI programmer for the WR and a pumper carb for the KLX.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #68
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

At this point, Ive realized that I dont need something amazing for my first bike. If i could, Id go buy a brand new 500 EXC-F. I think my two most important criteria are 1) lightweight, and 2) cheap. As stated in the first post, i have very limited off road experience, and I dont need something that will perform like a racebike offroad. I just need moderate offroad capabilities. Also, considering that by the time I can afford it/be legal, I can almost guarantee I'll still be under 120 lbs.

Height is not extremely important. I'm short, but I can have a shorter seat made for free (grandpa does upholstery for a living) and I'm sure I'd manage if its still an inch or two too tall. (Gaston Rahier anyone? )

I know it's impractical, but for some reason, I like the idea of a late 90's-early 00's DR650. I like their looks, power, relatively light weight (kinda), kinda low height with a cut-down seat, and the fact that in around 30 minutes I can have one down to the frame. Oh, and they're relatively cheap.

Suggestions? I've realized the stupidity of buying a brand-new bike at age 16, so I'm going for all used.
Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #69
davidb21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
search on craigslist for your area for used bikes, just look up "street legal" every now and then and be patient and eventually an amazing deal will pop up, you might even get lucky and get a pretty much brand new bike at a really good price.

i watched what was up on craigslist when i was buying my bike and ended up getting a pretty much brand new klr 250 for under $2000
davidb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #70
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,187
The dr650 is a great bike, but light weight it is not!
360 pounds hurts when it falls on you.
I loved mine, even after I got out of the hospital.

For dirt riding, I will trade power for lighter weight, and having a lower bike helps in sand and makes new riders feel more confident.

At 120 pounds, that is like having an extra 100cc's and another 2 inches of suspension over someone who is 200+ pounds!

Quote:
At this point, Ive realized that I dont need something amazing for my first bike. If i could, Id go buy a brand new 500 EXC-F. I think my two most important criteria are 1) lightweight, and 2) cheap. As stated in the first post, i have very limited off road experience, and I dont need something that will perform like a racebike offroad. I just need moderate offroad capabilities. Also, considering that by the time I can afford it/be legal, I can almost guarantee I'll still be under 120 lbs.

Height is not extremely important. I'm short, but I can have a shorter seat made for free (grandpa does upholstery for a living) and I'm sure I'd manage if its still an inch or two too tall. (Gaston Rahier anyone? )

I know it's impractical, but for some reason, I like the idea of a late 90's-early 00's DR650. I like their looks, power, relatively light weight (kinda), kinda low height with a cut-down seat, and the fact that in around 30 minutes I can have one down to the frame. Oh, and they're relatively cheap.

Suggestions? I've realized the stupidity of buying a brand-new bike at age 16, so I'm going for all used.
Thanks!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #71
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The dr650 is a great bike, but light weight it is not!
360 pounds hurts when it falls on you.
I loved mine, even after I got out of the hospital.

For dirt riding, I will trade power for lighter weight, and having a lower bike helps in sand and makes new riders feel more confident.

At 120 pounds, that is like having an extra 100cc's and another 2 inches of suspension over someone who is 200+ pounds!
I meant it was "light" when compared to the bike I originally wanted (crf250l). Its 40 pounds more, but its also 400 more cc's.......

Now that I think about it even more, I'll be doing, like I originally thought, 70% on road, in the form of commuting 4 miles a day to school, scooting around on weekends/after school/ and maybe 3-4 big trips per year. My 30% off road will most likely consist of a few local trails and pits, and day trips out of state (LI sucks) to ride trails. I guess most of my local trails would be considered single track, on average a trail is hardpack dirt through small sections of woods, with the trail averaging from 4-6 ft wide.

Dr350 for lighter weight/ trail capability?

I'd love to snag a plated XR400, it'd basically fit my needs perfectly, but they're impossible to find where I live. I've been searching craigslist high and low for basically every dual sport 650 cc's or smaller ever made, and I'm not getting many results.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #72
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
finding smaller dual sports

I'm with you I've been searching high and low for a somewhat local 95 and newer DR350 and it's been nearly impossible or way too expensive.

My Dad has a KLX250S and it's a nice bike I think the only thing different about the two bikes is EFI and carb. If your a do it yourselfer I would choose the KLX if you plan on tuning it yourself.
40cu.in.of.furey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #73
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
In 11 months buy a WR250R.
Plus 1

I rode a Honda 250L yesterday & was very disappointed. If you plan to do mainly road work, it's ok but it's a top heavy son of a gun on the trails. The WRR is head & shoulders more bike IMHO.

You can pick up a nice barely used WR250R for under 5K & often find one with 100's of dollars in extra accesories.

Good luck
Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #74
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

Yeah, the CRF is a pig and its probably not smart for me to spend almost $5000 as a 16 y/o. Plus, I am indeed a "do-it-yourselfer", and the CRF is downright impossible to work on with all that fancy electronic shit.

As previously stated, a plated XR400 would basically be perfection for me. However, here's the list of possibilities as I see it:
KLX250
DR350
DRZ400
DR650??????
XT250
XT350
XR250-XR650??????
R12GSA

...And just about any other USED, small dual sport, 250 cc's +, and simple enough for me to do just about any work needed. In fact, I wouldn't mind getting a running bike in shitty condition and taking it down to the frame to give it some new life. Or, if cheap enough, a non-running bike in shitty condition. I'm competent enough to rebuild an engine, and if the finished bike after my "restoration" is cheaper than a running, nice bike of the same type, then that's all benefits to me.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #75
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,187
You should never have to work on all the electronic shit, that is the point, you push the button and go, no warm up, no choke, no petcock, no plugged jets, no changes when you go up high.
There is nothing wrong with a good FI setup, its nice, and besides some fuel pumps on some year/brand bikes, nothing goes wrong with it for the most part. After all, all cars have even more complex systems and most of those run...

Nothing wrong with carbs, put a pumper on a dr650 and I bet you end up in jail, all those throttle wheelies will get you in trouble. On the street, a well set up dr650 is a hoot, better seat and pumper carb/air box top cut and its a hoot.
In the dirt, its a pig, and best for big guys with big strong bones.

There was a very nice low mile clean and cheap dr350 on craigs list around here a while ago, with extra's, asking price was $2000.00. Deals do show up, you just have to look often and for a while.
My dr650 was $1500.00.
If you have to get a bike in a week, you will not get a deal, but if you look for a while, you can get great deals.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote