Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #76
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

Oddometer: 40
I don't mind fuel injection, I know it's supposed to be more reliable, but I would still prefer a carburated bike just for its simplicity and ease of maintenence. And as you said, different carb upgrades can yield more power.

I'm not in a hurry. lets just say my funds are a bit lacking. Oh, and I don't turn 16 until September. I'll keep an eye out for craigslist deals.
thumperbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #77
davidb21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperbuddy View Post
I don't mind fuel injection, I know it's supposed to be more reliable, but I would still prefer a carburated bike just for its simplicity and ease of maintenence. And as you said, different carb upgrades can yield more power.

I'm not in a hurry. lets just say my funds are a bit lacking. Oh, and I don't turn 16 until September. I'll keep an eye out for craigslist deals.
thats why i like carbs if you ever want to do mods like exhaust and airbox you wont have to pay some tuner a bunch of money for a remap or powercommander or whatever they do, just buy a jet kit or a couple individual jets and mess with it till you have it how you want
davidb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #78
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

Exactly. I won't have a "real" paycheck until I'm almost 18 and the gov't starts paying me via the USAF, so money will always be lacking. Id prefer something that I'll hopefully never have to pay someone to work on.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #79
Red_dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Exactly. I won't have a "real" paycheck until I'm almost 18 and the gov't starts paying me via the USAF
think of the backpay! if you guys had the XR250R street legal D/S rigs over there, that'd be the go. 110kg vs 147kg for the CRF250L and can be lowered via the rear shock...only problem is, kickstart only, gotta give it a decent boot to start it too, specially when ya drop it, can be a pig when dropped, and flooded.
1993 Barina- Sigh...
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #80
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Exactly. I won't have a "real" paycheck until I'm almost 18 and the gov't starts paying me via the USAF, so money will always be lacking. Id prefer something that I'll hopefully never have to pay someone to work on.
I agonized over the same bikes you are looking at (also the WR). And found that (for me) the most bang for the buck was a KLX250SF, I found a left-over, brand new 2009 model for $3k out the door, I don't think you can go wrong with one of these. But just keep looking, the deals are out there.
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #81
thumperbuddy OP
Outdoorsman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog View Post
think of the backpay! if you guys had the XR250R street legal D/S rigs over there, that'd be the go. 110kg vs 147kg for the CRF250L and can be lowered via the rear shock...only problem is, kickstart only, gotta give it a decent boot to start it too, specially when ya drop it, can be a pig when dropped, and flooded.
I'd love an XR250. Like I've said, an XR250-400 would basically be my perfect bike. I don't mind the kickstart, I've got thighs of steel!

Oh, and the other day I saw a red, 2010 KLX250S parked on the sidewalk outside a grocery store. Met the rider (a cashier in the store) and we talked about choices. It was his first bike and he said he highly recommended it after exhaust, jetting, and a pair of 606's.