Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #91
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,076
Funny you should drag this thread up.....

I just installed this upgrade yesterday. I swear this mod is cursed. You and Dirty had carb troubles after installing it, and I blew a headgasket after ordering the parts. I used a stator from rm-stator, as the one I ordered from electrosport was stolen in transit.

The 950 has a 450W stator, so the 950 regulator should have no trouble with this stator. Mine just got a little bit warm, testing with both full and no load.

As you notice, the stock wiring from the regulator to the battery isn't very good. Wiring the regulator directly to the battery is a very good upgrade, especially if any accessories are connected to the battery. Connect the black regulator wire to the - terminal, and the red wire to the + terminal through a fuse.

This upgrade works well for the stock stator as well. It's also popular on other bike models.

Permanent magnet alternators have poor output at low rpms. In the case of the LC4, it's 110W at idle. The 200W spec is for speeds above 4krpm. This is pretty typical for this type of stator. An alternator with a field winding (like in cars) can change the strength of the magnetic field as needed, which makes the output more consistant over a range of rpms. Your triumph alternator probably puts out close to the rated 300W at idle, so it's spec is only 1.5x better, but the useful output is 3x better.

Basically, alternators are rated for maximum power, but what we care about is the minimum power.

It is possible to make the output of a PM alternator more consistant over rpm, but that would require either reducing the overall power output, or increasing its size.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #92
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,749
Luke- I almost feel like we're trying to stumble into King Tut's Tomb with all of the seemingly unrelated issues.

Both of us with blown head gaskets, rough idle, inability to rev., etc.

Well, my inability to rev was noticed as soon as I took the valve cover off only to discover this-sorry for the size.

Would you believe the wobble heads on both intake rockers broke clean off of the adjusting studs!

With nearly 0.25" of intake valve gap, it's a wonder the bike ran at all.

Don't know how this happened, but it's been fixed for awhile now.

I have an '07 640A now and once I get the HID/Centech/Grips/Jacket installed and sorted, I'll get this pesky stator upgrade with the Electrosport unit along with the KTM 950 regulator completed.

I decided a better V/R mounting location is in front of the head tube between the radiators using the steering stop bolts for mounting a simple bracket. I already have the aluminum and a friend with a press brake.

Before the wobble head fiasco I did ride around the neighborhood with both HID's ablaze and grips turned up to 11 just to get a feel for the charging voltage with the hardwired datel fed by the centech. It showed anywhere from 14.1v at higher revs down to 13.6v at idle.

At least by seeing these figures, the Electrosport stator/ KTM 950 V/Reg. really does make more farkle juice than stock.

This quest for more electons sort of feels like we're on a quest for the Holy Grail.

I do think we're close though!

Dirty
Old 05-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #93
Luke
GPoET&P

Holy grail indeed. I didn't realize you had as much engine trouble as I did. I'd just as soon skip the rebuilds and take a double helping of peril.

For the output I measured:

rpm current (A)
1500 10.5
2000 13
2500 14.5
3000 14.7

Compared to stock:
1500 9
2000 11
3000 13
6000 14

The stock numbers are from KTM. They agree with what I measured on mine, but I don't remember exactly, and can't find my notes.

The RM stator has one pole wound for the raptor's ignition, which I left unconnected. If the stator were rewound, that's an easy extra 5% of output available. Better wire may also give an extra 5% at idle. The wire on there is pretty thin.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #94
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

I'm embarassed to say, but I'm pretty convinced that my blown head gasket was due to 0.5 liter too much oil. Hard lesson learned.

Rough idle- excessive valve lash gap.

Dirty
Old 05-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #95
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
A whole crew of testers, with Luke to boot.

KTM is probably not thrilled about having one of their systems upgraded easily, so the Austrian Secret Service (no you won't find their name online... ) has likely visited each of your LC4s and sabotaged them.

Pre-ride safety checks are in order people!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #96
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Peril with a liberal dose of uncertainty....

I like

Dirty
Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #97
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Just a quick question,, to all you guys who went big with the stator.. want to sell me the stocker?? Just took mine out.. Thinking about this mod and the bad karma that follows it makes me worry about it...
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #98
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

I'm keeping my karma because some day I might need to use it.

If I find another, I'll let you know.

Dirty
Old 06-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #99
mrlarner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hello fellow kooks . New, wana-be-proud owner of a 1999 (or is it 2000? the guy i bought it from rhino-linered the plastics...) 640 Adventure.

Seems like I've been cursed from the get go and need to replace the stock stator. I read this thread while back and scratched my beard thinking about going for it, but now that i have to replace the stator, i'm thinking it's a good way to go. any updates on this?

It's been awhile since any replies...hope you guys are off popping wheelies with warm hands!

-matt
mrlarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #100
meat popsicle
Ignostic

This is the best place I could think of to mention this gadget I found to y'all:

Argus Analyzer's Battery Bug "Deep Cycle Monitor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus Analyzers
Know when to replace the battery before it fails.

For vehicles used every day, the Battery Bug will constantly monitor battery performance, clearly indicate battery state of health and provide peace of mind that the battery is up to the task of reliably starting the vehicle. The BB-SBM12-PS uses CrankCheck technology to test the health of the battery every time the engine is started, tracks the decay of cranking health over time, and provides a 'replace battery' alert and audible alarm before the battery fails. The 6 foot long cables allow the display to be mounted outside the battery compartment.
Luke?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 10-07-2010 at 06:35 AM
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #101
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,803
This monitor looks very nice.

For comparison, I've used this one for about 25K miles and I really depend on it. It did RTW service successfully.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/382-...utm_medium=cse

I'd much rather have the gauge, I am running two 35W HID's, an electric vest and heated grips so amperage usage decisions have to be made especially at night when it is darned cold.

A monitor really is helpful.
Hope this new one is lighted and that the alarm isn't overkill and always sounding.

With the 'Stop and Go monitor I often get bad readings that correct themselves once I get the revs up for a couple of minutes.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 10-07-2010 at 06:55 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #102
Luke
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

Luke?
On a bike with a kickstarter? Seriously?

Besides; I have ears, a harbor freight voltmeter, a good voltmeter, and a $$$ GPS with a voltage monitor that each already tell me the same thing.

I'm partial to battery monitors that display plain old voltage. Less BS between you and what's actually going on.

That, and I don't trust anyone that would run unfused battery connections anywhere.

Hey, you asked.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #103
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
On a bike with a kickstarter? Seriously?

Besides; I have ears, a harbor freight voltmeter, a good voltmeter, and a $$$ GPS with a voltage monitor that each already tell me the same thing.

I'm partial to battery monitors that display plain old voltage. Less BS between you and what's actually going on.

That, and I don't trust anyone that would run unfused battery connections anywhere.

Hey, you asked.
Thanks for the feedback Bill

------------------------------------

I did.

Good points, and let me play ill-equipped defender of the Argus Battery Bug.

Without looking I recall they claimed ~300mA draw - is that high enough for a fuse? I might be askin' for a lesson in fuseology - I'll take my medicine.

So the % battery meter is not adequate, or it could be mucked up. (Q: There is a reason why folks pay hundreds for Flukes eh? How does your good meter compare to the HF model? )

I was wondering if this would be worthwhile on my cage:

I guess I could put a different socket on my dash and use that on the bike too... or get me a GPS that has a voltage meter or... say what's the problem with wanting to monitor your battery with a kickstart-able bike? I can even turn off my headlights and "they say" kickstart it with a dead battery. But...
Old 10-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #104
Luke
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
... say what's the problem with wanting to monitor your battery with a kickstart-able bike? ...
Nothing. I was mostly just being an ass. If you haven't overloaded the bike with accessories, there's no need for it. If you have, you're better off with a regular voltmeter. Either way, someday the battery will have trouble cranking the bike, and you can replace it. If it goes bad quickly, thanks to the kickstarter you're not stuck.

Every wire needs to be on a fuse so that if it chafes through to the frame it doesn't start a fire.

My HF meter is just as accurate as my good one. It doesn't have as many features, and isn't as rugged.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #105
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
What a great thread,
Great information on the stator upgrade.
Its on my list of things that needs doing right to be cured.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote