Buying a new F700GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by skysailor, Sep 17, 2012.

1. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Okay you guys, anything I should know? Is this a good idea? I'm a road guy, who always rides solo, but would like to "explore" the odd gravel/fire road. Don't need the additional dirt worthiness of the F800, besides I find it a little too tall for me. I'm presently riding a 650 Bandit. Looking forward to ABS, heated grips...and all the toys.
    Lyle
  2. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    do it and never look back
  3. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the bike for you!!

Ryan
  4. Agcountry

Agcountry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go for it, you won't regret it.
  5. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    +1<label for="rb_iconid_24">[​IMG]</label>

This forum is great for informations, sharing stuff etc. but reading all the "problem" threads can make you kind of suspicious and you start to overthink the whole thing. These bikes are great. Every bike has a problem and this forum will tell you the solutions. Ten years ago we had no internet and still bought our bikes because we liked them, test rode them and that's it. No second thoughts or that stuff. Buy it, Ride it and be happy! Don't let the ADV paranoia get you!
  6. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    thus it could be dangerous if a deer would cross the road at that particular moment! :D
  7. Leap of Faith

Leap of Faith My hand to the devil

Oddometer:
    I also gave the F700 a good hard chunk of thought and finally went with the F800 GS. Only have it now for 3 weeks. This being said it is my first adventure style bike and i too thought i wouldn't be doing too much off-road stuff. But now, i have to say this BMW just wants to go off the beaten path any chance it or i can get! I actually have to stop myself from going too wild before i get a set of crash bars!
    I hope this helps your process! :eek1
  8. aint_life_grand

aint_life_grand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my F650 back in march. I was a little torn between f800 at the time. I was honest with myself about the use it'd see and went with the f650. Been commuting 60 miles daily, 8k for total miles, and it's been a dream. My commute is a combo of highway and twisty backroads, it's fun on both. Maybe over the winter I'll even add a farkle or two.
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The basic design is great and it looks like BMW have taken care of some of the issues, time will tell.
    The ABS is very, very good and it will save you.
    The heated grips are something I thought were ridiculous until the first time I used them at around 0c.
    The onboard computer is ok, the tire pressure monitor is handy and about as accurate as you'll find any guage to be.
    You'll find parts and service more expensive than the Bandit.
    If you are on a Suzuki, have you tried a V-Strom 650? Surprisingly good bike for the money.
    I have an 09 650 and I can tell you, having seen the F700, they have made the windshield worse (I actually thought that was not possible) and the seat is the same POS it was before.
    If you buy one, get a decent windshield, an Airhawk for the seat, a guard or some sort for the headlight and also for the oil filter and heat exhanger, that will run you about $500 or so.
    If you opt for the F700, you will be very surprised at how capable the bike is on dirt roads and rough surfaces.
    Ride the Suzuki and the F700 back to back, take a look at the savings with the Suzuki and what it will buy you in accessories and then make your choice.
  10. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Mikemike. I did get a bit of saddle time on the wee storm. I know they have a "cult following". Our problem with Suzuki (and the Bandit has been bloody GREAT) is the only dealer in the area (still a 2.5 hour ride, like the BMW dealer) sells cars as their main business. They don't stock much in the way of support. However, up in Canada, we do get all the colours! Even the white one. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on the Beemer, is I have a DR650, and the Bandit is SO capable on the highways. That, and it could snow here any time....GRRRrrrr!
    Lyle
  11. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

oh.... who said the 800 can't handle snow?

:huh
  12. wortho

wortho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also considering trading in my DR650 for an F700GS and waiting for them to arrive at my local dealer. I have been for a spin on a F650GS which is same dimensions etc and was impressed how the bike handles and it felt like a bike I had ridden for years in the first couple of km's.
    Also going to have a test ride on the F800 but after sitting on one today they do feel like a much bigger bike than the F650. From all what I have read on here and other forums it seems the F650/F700 is the pick for mostly road use. Also a $3000 difference in price here in Oz.
  13. wortho

wortho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also considering trading in my DR650 for an F700GS and waiting for them to arrive at my local dealer. I have been for a spin on a F650GS which is same dimensions etc and was impressed how the bike handles and it felt like a bike I had ridden for years in the first couple of km's.
    Also going to have a test ride on the F800 but after sitting on one today they do feel like a much bigger bike than the F650. From all what I have read on here and other forums it seems the F650/F700 is the pick for mostly road use. Also a $3000 difference in price here in Oz
  14. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    The F700GS is a great bike.
    The WeStrom is similar. I looked at one carefully before I bought an F650GS. The We is a bit heavier, a bit less powerful, does not handle quite as well, is likely more reliable, is a fair amount cheaper, has no where near as many farkles available.

I am VERY happy with my F650GS, now with over 30k miles on it. It can cruse 85mph all day (500+ miles) in comfort, id very good in the mountain twisties, and is great on dirt roads. The limit on single track is tires (easily fixed). It's only short coming(if you consider it that) is it has less ground clearance/suspension travel. This is only important if you are climbing over rocks/logs etc or intend to jump the bike or do big whoops. The taller suspension makes the bike much taller (ok if you are over 6 ft or so) significantly raises the c of g, which degrades pavement handling tin the twisties a bit.

It really depends on how you want to ride, which bike is best
  15. SDDinNH

SDDinNH Ridgerunner

Oddometer:
    Loved my 2009 F650GS (was not smart and traded it for a R1200GS :(:) so I went back this year and bought a 2012 F650GS and am now a happy camper again.
  16. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:

I rode on a couple of snow days last winter just to see if i could be done. I can be, but talk about a rodeo!!! Not only are you trying not to fall, but trying to stay out of the way of all of the cagers sliding around is a whole new sport as well!

And I do have a Land Cruiser, sooooo.....

Ryan
  17. wortho

wortho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'11 with a 34" inseam. Anyone know if an F700GS with standard height would be ok or a bit low for me? I'm also planning to order with the BMW comfort seat if I decide on this model.
    Thanks
  18. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    I think that's quit all right to ya
  19. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 650/700 is not a low bike. Its just lower than the 800. GH
  20. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Skip the BMW "comfort" seat that should have come with the bike to begin with. Buy a $99 Airhawk instead, small cruiser size. The BMW comfort seat will limit your movement, you are locked in to one position due to the lip on the back of the riders part of the seat. Spend the money you save on either a headlight protector and oil filter/heat exchanger protector, and a front suspension upgrade. The front suspension is pretty much the same as the single cylinder models from 2001 or so. Giving BMW $400 bucks or more for the seat that should have come with the bike in the first place is what they want you to do. Besides, there are better aftermarket seats out there if you really feel the need for a complete seat and not just the Airhawk. If you have never tried an Airhawk, you will be really surprised. In a good way.