User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Phxrider3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Yamaha Super Tenere vs Triumph Explorer

If any of my fellow inmates thought about a new adventure bike of these two which one would you pick? It would be for occasional two up and a lot of touring with occasional gravel or dirt road. I thought about the new BMW wethead but would not wanna be the first year crash test dummy
Phxrider3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider3 View Post
If any of my fellow inmates thought about a new adventure bike of these two which one would you pick? It would be for occasional two up and a lot of touring with occasional gravel or dirt road. I thought about the new BMW wethead but would not wanna be the first year crash test dummy
For that I would try the TEX as long as you can verify that the "headaches" are now cured. Triumph have been not been making excuses but it may need some time off to go to the hospital.

The S10 is an easier bike on gravel and dirt roads and is pretty comfy and gives more range and has had no major issues, The TEX is the more flick-able and powerful and funner in the twisties and is pretty comfy but gets a bit much on the gravel. (doable but requires more from you).

S10 is a giant dirt bike, Tex is a jacked up road bike.

Is the Honda Xtourer an option where you live?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 AM   #3
Outback Rambler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider3 View Post
I've got the same dilemma and do the same type of riding. Both bikes will probably meet our needs. The Trumpy certainly has it over the S10 when you demo them back to back. Both have good ergos, the Triumph's triple is more exciting but the amount of recalls, lack of dealers in my neck of the woods and the non adjustable front suspension puts me off.....I ride on some pretty ordinary bitumen roads.

The S10 appears more robust, good suspension, has proven to be reliable with heaps of happy owners on this site and others. I just found the engine very lack lustre for a 1200. After a demo ride on the S10 I just couldn't commit mainly for that reason. I do like the S10, however if I bought one it would be like taking a leap of faith in hoping that it'll grow on me as it has with other owners.

Watching this thread with interest and looking forward to reading others opinions as well.

Cheers,

Tony
Outback Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:52 AM   #4
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
The wethead has been out almost two years now. You wouldn't be a guinea pig.I thought the triumph has been toted as a street only adventure touring bike? My choice would be the Tenere.

Sent from my HTC Glacier
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #5
copb8
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I rode both the S10 and TEX back to back several times and ended up with the S10. I've owned and loved both brands so I have no bias for one brand or the other.

I liked the TEX power way over the S10. I was replacing a Speed Triple and loved the 3 cylinder power and torque. I much preferred the ergo's of the S10, Yamaha's reputation reliability, and the S10's better ability to handle off road. And it was cheaper.

I have an FJR so I decided the power of the S10 was no big deal since I could always get my speed fix on the FJR. But the funny part is that once I had them both I started riding the S10 more and more. Admittedly I flashed the ECU on the S10 to remove the stupid throttle restrictions Yamaha inexplicably decided it needed. Much better. You miss the +100 mph effortless performance of the FJR but the S10 is punchy enough down low to be very enjoyable in almost all situations.

I think if you're going to do any dirt other than gravel roads the S10 is the clear choice. Otherwise it just comes down to in what order of importance do you rank style, speed and reliability.
copb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,879
Heavy!

Both Heavy but the Triumph is especially top heavy compared to the S10. Just lifting it off the side stand shocked me. Haven't ridden one but have owned a 955 Tiger in the past and it was ok. But if you want to do any dirt at all get the Yammie. Love mine and plan on getting the newer one sometime in the future.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Both Heavy but the Triumph is especially top heavy compared to the S10. Just lifting it off the side stand shocked me. Haven't ridden one but have owned a 955 Tiger in the past and it was ok. But if you want to do any dirt at all get the Yammie. Love mine and plan on getting the newer one sometime in the future.
Agreed.

I narrowed my bike choices down to the GSW, S10, or the TEx. I rode the TEx and GSW extensively. I picked the S10 for a couple of reasons. Honestly, cost and (now legendary) reliability were the top deciding factors. For a pure road going adventure style bike, the TEx is probably the best choice. However, I like the S10 handling characteristics better. On paper it weighs 5 lbs more, but when riding these 2 bikes, it carries the weight much better. I didn't like the handling of the TEx. The weight is too high up and to me the suspension felt cheap and poorly regulated.

Also, I didn't like the engine heat management of the TEx. I test rode it during the summer and it blew a lot of really hot air onto my legs. I am very heat sensitive for medical reasons on my legs, so it bothered me badly. I figured if it bothers me on a test ride, then owning and riding through the dez in summer.........

Also, dealer networks for support. The multi-brand dealer (Triumph, but not Yamaha) in my area is a bunch of

so that helped the decision too.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
copb8
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post

Also, I didn't like the engine heat management of the TEx. I test rode it during the summer and it blew a lot of really hot air onto my legs.
Good point. I forgot about the heat. My Speed Triple definitely put out more heat than the S10. But not NEARLY as much as my first '04 FJR. Now THAT was a nut roaster. The TEx I would imagine is close to the S3.

As far a service goes I have to say I miss my Triumph dealer in DFW. RPM always treated me like royalty. I really wanted to buy another bike from them. My Yamaha dealer is 'ok' I guess.
copb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
I ride with a Tiger Rider a lot and I can ride the Tiger any time I like.
It is a very nice street bike. Not even in the same league as the Tenere off road. [I'm not talking about gravel roads here].
The Tiger is actually a little more cramped for a big guy to ride.
The Tenere is very relaxed leg room wise.
The Tenere always gets better fuel millage.
Mike actually gets bummed out that his bike isn't more off road rideable.
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
Outback Rambler
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by copb8 View Post
Admittedly I flashed the ECU on the S10 to remove the stupid throttle restrictions Yamaha inexplicably decided it needed. Much better. You miss the +100 mph effortless performance of the FJR but the S10 is punchy enough down low to be very enjoyable in almost all situations.
Does flashing the S10's ECU affect fuel economy?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
sir.tooby
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Rambler View Post

Thanks in advance.
I have not seen any difference after reflash. Don't know if the kind of roads I ride gives that result. Small roads, short shifting and low speed.

The reflash is the number one thing to do very happy, came from 1700 cc and was wondering if it really was 1200cc... not any more :)
sir.tooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I have not ridden either but do currently ride a Tiger 1050 and I love triples, not huge fan of parallel twins. With that said, now with the new updates to the S10 SE version I would have to lean towards that if I was in the market. It essentially comes with everything the TEX does (heated grips/cc) but adds electronically adjustable suspension and costs less. That and Yamaha also fixed a few other minor issues, windshield, a little more oomph etc......almost a no brainer now I guess.

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Some report decreased fuel consumption. Some say it doesn't change. (my guess is it is more efficient but some people twist the wrist more now)

The main reason is to kill the restrictions in gear and give back some of the torque that the emissions removed and possibly let the butterfly's follow the wrist more closely. It was set very "safe" from the factory, as the 1-3 can light up the back in marginal conditions very easily unrestricted.

The 2014+ is supposed to less restricted and faster on the throttle in S but about the same in T (off road mode), just how much difference we don't know yet as YAMAHA OZ hasn't said boo about it yet.

It only cost about as much as a cheap Touratech part to do anyway.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 03-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
Outback Rambler
Adventurer

Thanks for the ECU info. I've managed to find a bike rental company in Sydney which hires out an S10. It's a bit pricey but at least it'll allow me to get a true appreciation of how the bike feels in the environment where I normally ride. I just hope it's not too clapped out. It's just peace of mind stuff which has to be better than a ride around the block on a demo bike!

Cheers,

Tony
Old 03-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've managed to find a bike rental company in Sydney which hires out an S10.

Cheers,

Tony
Wish they were hiring when I looked. Lucky everything I read was about right.