User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
MMasz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Tiger vs 650 V-Strom

I’m still looking for a replacement for the DRZ400S I was riding to replace the bike which was stolen. I can’t say took a liking to the DRZ as I felt like it was unstable maybe because it was a thumper and had d/s tires. Anyway, I’d like some opinions on the Tiger 800 vs the 650 V-strom. There are left over ’12 models which can be had for decent $$$ and the price differential between the two is about $1000.00.

I’ll be riding on road and occasional light off-road (fire service roads, etc). Probably my main criteria is dependability (since I have 4 kids and no time for fixing stuff I shouldn’t have to. Your comments are welcome on these two or any other suggestion.
00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.

MMasz screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 05:27 AM
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
I own a first-generation 650 VStrom with 45K miles and have taken a brief ride on a Tiger 800 "roadie". The Triumph felt better in almost every aspect ... smoother, more power, better suspension and brakes, etc. However, the current '12 Wee is supposed to be marginally better than the first-gen bikes. That said, the Wee will get better fuel range and mileage, and most likely be cheaper to run (maintenance, repairs, price of farkles). That plus a $1000 head start could make the Wee the "better" choice. Two of my favorite features of the Wee are the 250-300 mile tank range, and the low-profile of the bike. Some call it boring; to me it just allows you to focus on the journey and not the machine.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
More fun? Triumph hands down. Lower initial price and very likely lower maintenance costs? Wee, hands down. Somewhere in between? You'll have to figure out which suits you better.

Check the ergos out on both. The Tiger has more legroom, but you lean forward a fair amount...the wee is more upright but has less legroom. Spend time on both before making a decision.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
I have a 2013 XC model with the 21" front wheel. I am coming from a XR650L. Sounds like you are doing the same riding I do. Personally, I have never, ever liked the V-Strom. Just doesn't do anything for me, dont get me wrong, I have riding buddies that ride them and they love em. The Tiger on the other hand is an amazing machine, like others have said the only real issue is the placement of the handlebars. Which is a inexpensive fix with ROX risers. Test ride both and you decide which puts the bigger smile on your face!

Chris
Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
My 2006 Wee has been bullet-proof....

Just completed a 3,000 mile ride through the monsoon of CO, UT, AZ and NM.

It ticked over 50,000 miles during the ride.

I also own a Bonneville... the closest dealership is 45 miles away...

The Bonny has been to the shop twice in 2.5 years... the dealership screwed up both times... won't get a third chance. Am considering swapping the Bonny for an FZ8 or maybe the new FZ9.

When the Wee is worn out, I may well replace it with another Wee.

Airborne... All the Way.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
jethomas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I've owned two Wee Stroms. An '07 and my current '11. Loved both, but always felt something was lacking. I am picking up my T800 roadie today. It has that undefinable something that I was looking for. Realistically, however, I find it handles much better, is more comfortable (for me), needs fewer mods to make it "mine" and quite frankly, and a little sheepishly, I feel it's just cooler than the Wee. The Wee is a fine motorcycle and will do almost anything that you ask of it quite capably and in the long run will be less expensive to own. But, there is just something about the Tiger. In the end, it's your butt in the seat so ride what puts the biggest smile on your face.
jethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethomas View Post
I've owned two Wee Stroms. An '07 and my current '11. Loved both, but always felt something was lacking. I am picking up my T800 roadie today. It has that undefinable something that I was looking for. Realistically, however, I find it handles much better, is more comfortable (for me), needs fewer mods to make it "mine" and quite frankly, and a little sheepishly, I feel it's just cooler than the Wee. The Wee is a fine motorcycle and will do almost anything that you ask of it quite capably and in the long run will be less expensive to own. But, there is just something about the Tiger. In the end, it's your butt in the seat so ride what puts the biggest smile on your face.
+1

I think the V-Strom is the KLR of Beasts.....
Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
If your main criterion really is reliability (mine is), then the Strom is your bike.
Gobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,470
I've owned both with my current ride being the Tiger 800. The wee strom is a fine motorcycle, but is a rather dull and soul-less appliance. The Tiger has some quirks, but is generally very entertaining and reliable. For only a grand difference there really is no decision. Honestly, though the price difference between the two should be a couple of grand unless the wee is the loaded up adventure version, then there is more of a decision to be made.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,636
When Triumph came out with the 800's, I just new the Roadie wold be my next bike. Maybe I expected to much. I went and looked at it, and it did nothing for me. I tried to throw a leg over, and busted my shin on the passenger grab handle. Once I did get on it, it just didn't feel right. I walked away.

Fast forward to June of '13, and I am test riding a left over 2012 DL650 Adventure. I liked everything about it. It was comfortable, made plenty of power, the suspension felt good, the seat felt good, ergos were good. I bought it, and have 4500 miles later, I have no regrets.

Some folks say it's boring - I have no idea where they are coming from. If you twist her tail, she will scream! I passed a pickup and a car last Saturday. The truck was big, and I did not realize there was no room for me to pull in between the truck and the car - and there was a car coming from the other direction. I just gassed it and she screamed by, we were over 80 when I pulled back into my lane. We got the pass done with room to spare.

Also I am a big guy. I took my wife for a ride on it the other day, and it had no problem carrying the two of us.

Also I think if you compare 1/4 mile stats of the DL650 vs the Triumph 800 vs the BMW 800, you will find the Suzuki is not far off the pace of the bigger bikes. About .3 if I remember correctly.

I am very happy with my DL650.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
GtiKyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I posted this not too long ago...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post21996140
GtiKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,636
http://www.zeroto60times.com/Motorcy...mph-Times.html

according to this website:

0-60 1/4 mile
DL650 3.5 12.4
800XC 5.6 12.7
F800GS 3.8 12.4

that 0-60 number on the 800XC doesn't look right to me, but that's what the websiter says. I would think it would be pretty equally matched to the BMW. What is surprising is that the DL650 is competitive with the 800's.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
Dabber65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
both are good

I have a 2012 Vstrom 650 and I love it! I don't think there's a bad choice between the 2. good luck!
Dabber65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post

0-60 1/4 mile
DL650 3.5 12.4
800XC 5.6 12.7
F800GS 3.8 12.4

that 0-60 number on the 800XC doesn't look right to me, but that's what the websiter says. I would think it would be pretty equally matched to the BMW. What is surprising is that the DL650 is competitive with the 800's.
I saw a comparo, where the Glee-Stroms acceleration & 1/4 mile figures were pretty much on par with the F650GS twin (=800cc engine). The "real" F800GS has more top end, so I am a bit surprised, if it's not ahead.

But these bikes are not about performance numbers.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post

0-60 1/4 mile
DL650 3.5 12.4
800XC 5.6 12.7
F800GS 3.8 12.4

I think those numbers illustrate the stupidly tall 1st gear on the tiger.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote