Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #16
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I'm only 10 days into ownership, and I have to say this is a fantastic motorcycle.

I ride a lot of dirt trails / USFS roads on small bore dirtbikes, SuperMoto on my 450, and roadracing on my Daytona 675s. This thing has all the best qualities of the above without many of the compromises.

I really expected to not be impressed by the motor, and wasn't for the first week of putting around under 5000rpms. But once you start to open it up... It growls and snarls exactly like my 675s, and I couldn't be happier!

I traded in a 2010 Ducati Streetfighter for this bike because I never found enough excuses to ride the Ducati. You can't get me off of the Triumph!

-Tom
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,240
I have had mine for several months and I am absolutely in love with the bike. I would definintely buy it again.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
I would definitely buy again. Hell, I would buy another one now if I could. I would have one set up for the slabs and one set up for off road. It's the most versatile bike I have ever owned and the motor/gearbox is butta!
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #19
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
I love the positivity of this thread, because when I can afford a T800 it makes me happy, that I'll probably be happy

Carry on.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,311
Another happy XC owner. And for all the reasons already mentioned. Crossed off each competitor already mentioned, one by one, for all the same reasons.

I really liked the Super Tenere, but damn, what a tank.

The 990? KTM's and Ducati's are, let's face it, finicky. And I'm a big fan of both marques from way back. I didn't want to deal with the fussy nature of either.

Strada? Nice, but no thanks, not with a 17" front wheel, and too much money. Who needs 150hp anyway?

The GS? Nice bike but archaic. Best description of it I heard was 'agricultural'. Also a tank.

Guzzi Stelvio -- nice bike, tempting, but might as well get the S10 then. It's a tank.

F8? Naw, just another BMW. Every time I would walk into the local dealer and start looking at costs for stuff I would about gag. And they were just dumbfounded that I would even consider a Triumph. They completely denied any problems with their 800's. OMG.

The XC checked all the boxes, the motor is brilliant. I never, ever, ever thought I would own anything that came from England. But they hit a home run with this one.

Every time I get on this thing I marvel at what a machine they built. Is it perfect? No. It's just way better than everything else out there for what I wanted in a roading adventure bike.

browneye screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 05:07 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #21
Timothy Blomquist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I've had my Tiger 800XC since July and zero problems. Before buying I wanted to compare it with a BMW 800GS but the dealer had none in stock. Instead I took a test ride on the BMW 1200 GS and immediately noticed that the Triumph was a smoother running bike and less vibration. Bought the Triumph. Now, if I wanted a primary road bike with off road capabilities I would consider the BMW 1200 GS Adventure with that super tanker 8.7 gallon fuel tank.

Without a doubt I would buy the Tiger 800XC again. It's a great bike for the price and a platform for lots of farkles.
Timothy Blomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #22
findlj
How much fun is that

Oddometer: 82
Bought my tiger XC almost a year ago. No regrets what-so-ever.
Considered and researched about 10 bikes. The KTM 990's, Multistradas, Super Tenere', GS 800 and 1200's and the three new Tigers.
My short list came down to the Super Tenere', the 800 XC Tiger, the Multistrada S, GS800 and GS1200 ADV.
The way the dealer treats me is actually more important to me than the actual bike. I believe I'd have been happy with any of these bikes but here's why I bought the Tiger XC.
The local Yamaha dealer was not someone I felt would work with me well. The Tenere' is a behemoth as well.
The Multistrada felt great, but I didn't really trust all the electronic wizardry on it (I've worked in Computers for 24 years) and I didn't think I needed 150 HP. Didn't like the 17" front wheel for off roading. Great road bike though. On road it's the best of the group I rode which was everything on the short list but the Tenere'.
The GS800 feels like a big dirt bike and IS better off road than my Tiger IMO. Not nearly as nice ON road though.
The GS1200 ADV I liked just slightly better than my Tiger XC. Just barely.
So the Tiger XC was 2nd best bike overall I rode, almost half the price of the GS1200 ADV and Multi S and my dealer is an old trials buddy who'll strip a floor bike to get me going if need be!
Really very little decision for me to make.
Love the Tiger XC and the dealer.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #23
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp

Oddometer: 1,121
I'm not sure if I would. Having come from street oriented bikes, I thought adventure riding would be something I'd enjoy.
My first few forays into the woods on my Tiger made it painfully clear I'm just not up for the more physically demanding 'off road' riding. That's my experience. The Tiger is an awesome bike though ! I love the power, the lighter weight, and the performance. I ride it mostly on the street. An occasional dirt road perhaps, but for me it's a street bike.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #24
LBJM
n00b

Oddometer: 4
One month with mine, took some getting used to with the 21 front wheel coming from a GSA 1200 but what a fun bike to ride, not top heavy and no tits hanging out the sides to brake my ankles if I allow the bike to fall

Quality, not bad but not the best if that's important to you which for me was not the case, the dealer delivered a demo model to my house and left it with me for a week and then collected it again. Two months later after riding other brands, I phoned the same dealer and 3 days later they delivered the one I wanted
Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
2011 800XC-ABS with 13,000 miles on it now with no issues. Absolutely love it. Hard to imagine a better do-it-all bike. This thing has me riding nearly EVERYWHERE and neglecting most of my other bikes. Would buy it again in a instant.

I've been traditionally a Yamaha guy, especially with off-road bikes. I was convinced I'd be buying a Super-T early last year. I went to Daytona Bike Week in March of '11 hoping that they'd have the Super-T's there to test ride since you had to but down the deposit and all of that and really couldn't test ride them. They had them there and I was estatic. I rode the Super T solo and two-up with The Girlfriend. I found the Super T absolutely just OK. Nothing wrong, but nothing particularly exciting. The same day I rode an 800XC solo and two-up and was smitten. Fantastic motor. Great balance of power, comfort, nimbleness, features, etc. I got back to Iowa, had to have them order one to get a white XC-ABS, and got it the first week of May.

I also considered a F800GS (slightly better dirt bike, great gas mileage, terrible seat and slightly boring engine) and R1200GS (tank and a lot more $$$). I'm a KTM fan too. Tried a KTM 690 Enduro (too buzzy for true everyday use) and I've had a chance to ride several different iterations of the KTM 950/990 but just haven't gelled with that V-twin for some reason.

Best Mods: Madstad windshield, Jesse Panniers, Heated jacket and glove liners (yeah, not really a bike mod but the Triumph has the juice to power lots of electrics)

Improvements I'd like to see: better mpg, a little less engine heat on the rider, and a wider ratio gearbox

What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Yes, I would buy one again.

It's my first Triumph, so I had zero brand experience coming in.

Preferred it to the 800GS, and still do.
Can i ask why?? I'm just curious on reason... i want to buy an 800xc just wonderin why bmw was ruled out for you..

Thanks

Yo
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #27
Silent mobius
Silent Mobius

Oddometer: 11
Laugh

Tiger 800 XC bought at Dec. 31, 2011 and ... will have been the best gift i could have offered myself.

Despite being presented as a difficult tract bike for beginners the adaptation was remarkable and experience alongside the bike adaptability has made me celebrate the day that I took the decision to choose the Tiger 800 XC!

Having as usual partners F800GS owners the Tiger 800 XC as never let me look bad or thrown behind in any situation. Quite the contrary. Has proved it self as a motorcycle completely capable of leading us to anywhere and The thrue synonym for one do-it-all bike.

Best of all yet its the simple fact that whenever I go out with her... I always start smiling side by side!

There would be no other bike to buy other than the Tiger 800 XC!!!
Silent mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #28
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Can i ask why?? I'm just curious on reason... i want to buy an 800xc just wonderin why bmw was ruled out for you..
Things I liked better about the Tiger:

1. Engine, both smoothness and power.
2. Transmission, feels much more precise than the BMW "clunk".
3. Suspension. The F800 front dive was much worse than the Tiger's.
4. Seating on the Tiger was much more comfortable.
5. It looks better than the F800.

Thinks I liked better about the F800:

1. I could get it in gray.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
More 800 GS comparos:

1. Just take the Tiger out on the open road an pin it in the first four gears...that will be enough reason to go buy it.
2. Beyond the much more capable engine, you should know that parts are available within 2-4 days here in the USA and are quite reasonable. (I took out a deer in Jun 12 and had to rebuild most things in front of the forks...most of it with hex heads in a screwdriver. I found that Triumph uses lots of thread locker at the factory!)
3. Being very familiar with BMW's, I look at the "after warranty" period before I buy. My confidence is high that I will save money during the warranty, and gobs more after the warranty for the life of the bike as I know it.
4. Because both are supposed to be off road capable, you are, sooner than later, going to over do it to some degree that is a bit more than your capacity, and you will beat the crap out of it...again, I know BMW's, and I know the T800XC will be more gentle on me to keep it on the road. Much less to repair and maintain. I've already proven this to myself.
5. This thing does the twisties like on rails. I have loved my Versys for 28k because it too is a great canyon carver, but with 30 less hp. I like my Blackbird for its smooth power and great cornering, but I can now let both it and the Versys go without regret at all. And the trump card over the other two, the 21" front lets me jump curbs...no, ROLL OVER curbs without complaint.
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #30
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,311
Every time I went into my local BMW dealer I was just shocked at what stuff costs there. Full boat retail isn't even enough sometimes. And service was just waiting to see how much they could overcharge for their work. They even spent thousands and thousands of dollars to build a fancy new service department - state of the art. That's great news, isn't it?? Their customers just LOOOOVE it!!

When I was bike shopping they were absolutely floored that I would even consider another brand. It's like they invented the motorcycle and nothing can compare. To the point of condescension. Elitist attitude at best.

I never really seriously considered the F8 but rather the GS. I wanted a good roadie for 2-up as well as adventure riding. After riding a GS and then the Tigers it was a no-brainer. I'm so glad I never got a BMW I could just scream.

On the other hand, my Triumph dealer was just awarded #1 dealer in the nation. They're a LOT more friendly as well. They were an absolute joy to deal with, best buying experience ever.