Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #46
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
An Altrider rear rack as a platform. A wolfmann dry bag and a triumph dry bag. Held in place by Rok straps, bungees and a cheap cargo net.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #47
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
An Altrider rear rack as a platform. A wolfmann dry bag and a triumph dry bag. Held in place by Rok straps, bungees and a cheap cargo net.

That's a lot of gear you got there. Would you recommend the Altrider rear rack? Likes/dislikes??

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #48
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
That's a lot of gear you got there. Would you recommend the Altrider rear rack? Likes/dislikes??
I use the SW-Motech Alu-Rack, and think that it provides for a very versatile system.

The product is here (I cannot seem to find it right now on Twisted Throttle, but I know I got mine from them.)

http://advdepot.com/sw-motech-alu-ra...er-800-xc.html

You can get multiple adapter plates (all quick-release) for different luggage mount types. I use this Givi style adapter plate to mount a Givi top case:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-kappa-monokey

When I don't use a top case, off it comes in under 30 seconds.

Wait, you say! I want to use soft luggage on my rear rack. Well, I have another adapter for that. The rear plate extender (again, quick-release) provides a larger platform for soft bags:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...g-soft-luggage

And it removes/installs in under 30 seconds as well.

Nothing against any of the rear rack manufacturers out there; I just like the versatility that the SW Motech system allows.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #49
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Wait, you say! I want to use soft luggage on my rear rack. Well, I have another adapter for that. The rear plate extender (again, quick-release) provides a larger platform for soft bags:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...g-soft-luggage

And it removes/installs in under 30 seconds as well.

Nothing against any of the rear rack manufacturers out there; I just like the versatility that the SW Motech system allows.
Whats up YO, good info. I like that $53 dollar option.

I was also thinking about their dry bag combo as well...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twist...packing-system

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #50
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Altrider is all top quality!! I lost a spacer in the bike when i installed it and they sent me a new one for free. Friendly customer service and like i said top quality.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #51
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,141
Quick question for the Tiger 800XC owners, please...

I know jack shit about suspension. I'm the antithesis of a suspension nerd. I seldom even notice it, on any kind of bike, and never do much fiddling or adjusting. I'm not good enough on road or off to know much of a difference.

So, I hopped on my friend's dead-stock BMW F800GS the other day for ten minutes in some dirt and rocks. HOLY SHIT!! The bumps and ruts disappeared, and I felt like superman! The suspension was amazing. AND he's 230 pounds and I'm a buck 75. I ride a stock DR650 most of the time in the dirt and I'm happy with the suspension. I rode a Tiger 800 Roadie on a demo ride on the street only, and couldn't evaluate the suspension.

Question: Am I going to LOVE the 800XC's suspension? Is it going to feel light-years ahead of what i'm used to, like the F800's did? Or is there any substantial benefir to the F800's suspension? After all. BMW has been doing it for years. Did Triumph get it right up front?

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #52
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Quick question for the Tiger 800XC owners, please...

I know jack shit about suspension. I'm the antithesis of a suspension nerd. I seldom even notice it, on any kind of bike, and never do much fiddling or adjusting. I'm not good enough on road or off to know much of a difference.

So, I hopped on my friend's dead-stock BMW F800GS the other day for ten minutes in some dirt and rocks. HOLY SHIT!! The bumps and ruts disappeared, and I felt like superman! The suspension was amazing. AND he's 230 pounds and I'm a buck 75. I ride a stock DR650 most of the time in the dirt and I'm happy with the suspension. I rode a Tiger 800 Roadie on a demo ride on the street only, and couldn't evaluate the suspension.

Question: Am I going to LOVE the 800XC's suspension? Is it going to feel light-years ahead of what i'm used to, like the F800's did? Or is there any substantial benefir to the F800's suspension? After all. BMW has been doing it for years. Did Triumph get it right up front?
The general scientific consensus and the majority of mag reviews (take that for what its worth) say that the Tiger 800XC suspension is better than the F800GS. Now both the F800GS and Tiger 800XC have militant loyal fan bases so be careful on here. That being said the majority of Tiger 800XC owners absolutely rave about how much they like the suspension. That includes myself i love it and have never adjusted it at all.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #53
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:

Those bags are cool add a Altrider plate put those sideways and you got room for a passenger,
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #54
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Onewheeldrive.net is testing the Tiger800XC right now and i'm following their posts on facebook. Interesting they just mentioned the suspension related to the F800GS. Quote below...

"Had our first day on the Triumph Explorer 1200 and Tiger 800XC yesterday. Our initial view of the bikes is very favourable on road... The engines on both are stomping, but the flat-torque "horizon" on the 1200 is exceptional. It pulls like a beast through to just before red. The 800XC, well, the engine inspires a lot more hooliganism than the F800GS, and the suspension is much more up to the task. We'll be heading out for our first day of playing in the dirt today and filming."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/OneWh...t/241309122114
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #55
Spots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
On a similar note - Are there any factory accessories you would/wouldn't buy again?

Crash bars? Panniers?

Thinking about replacing my Tiger 1050 ABS with a Tiger 800XC ABS, and that means new luggage 'n stuff!
Spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #56
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spots View Post
On a similar note - Are there any factory accessories you would/wouldn't buy again?

Crash bars? Panniers?

Thinking about replacing my Tiger 1050 ABS with a Tiger 800XC ABS, and that means new luggage 'n stuff!
If you're not going to run the panniers offroad they are a very nice set, decent deal for the money. If you are going to ride dirt roads then there are stronger options aftermarket - the stock mounts have plastic tabs that can break in a lay down.

The engine sump guard is a nice piece, but there's nothing wrong with the factory plastic skid for all but more difficult terrain.

The engine crash bars are pictured above and are very nice protection for the motor in the case of a lay down.

I got the sump guard, crash bars, and centerstand. The latter I think is an absolute delight for an adventure bike. Maintenance and tire work in the field is a breeze. That said it does clunk when you take the bike off road.

These are the things I'm familiar with on mine.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #57
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:

Crash bars? Panniers?

My 2 Cents

Crashbars Good
Skidplate Good
Heated Grips Good
Fog Lights Good
Panniers Bad
Grill Guard Good
Old 10-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #58
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:

Crash bars? Panniers?

Crash bars - yes
Heated grips - yes (for me - never used heated grips on my bikes before, even factory ones are OK for me)
Touring screen - yes (for me)
Sump guard, aluminium - yes
Luggage - no (top case way too heavy, side cases way to fragile for offroad and too wide for European riding)
Fog lights - they good, but I see no need - stock headlight amazingly good (for me)
Frond fender extender - yes
XC comes with grill guard stock, so - yes
I should have bough low comfort seat, but I am short guy.
Arrow exhaust - superb, but not fixing one issue (for me) - too big exhaust on rhs, resulting in too wide panniers (aftermarket). I bought LeoVince and built symmetrical narrow luggage system myself. If you don't care about that Arrow is nice - but I still like LeoVince sound and looks more. And it is much cheaper.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #59
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Crash bars - yes
Heated grips - yes (for me - never used heated grips on my bikes before, even factory ones are OK for me)
Touring screen - yes (for me)
Sump guard, aluminium - yes
Luggage - no (top case way too heavy, side cases way to fragile for offroad and too wide for European riding)
Fog lights - they good, but I see no need - stock headlight amazingly good (for me)
Frond fender extender - yes
XC comes with grill guard stock, so - yes
I should have bough low comfort seat, but I am short guy.
Arrow exhaust - superb, but not fixing one issue (for me) - too big exhaust on rhs, resulting in too wide panniers (aftermarket). I bought LeoVince and built symmetrical narrow luggage system myself. If you don't care about that Arrow is nice - but I still like LeoVince sound and looks more. And it is much cheaper.
I like the fog lights riding at night because they light up the road sides helping to see critters. Also like them when i'm riding dirt roads at night. Also there's an optional aluminum grill guard.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 05:58 PM
Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #60
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Next stop 800 ccs

Quote:

I knew I should have not started reading this forum. These twisted throttle bags looked so good I bought them. But they would look better on a Triumph 800XC. Anyone want a lightly used BMW F650GS?
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote