ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
bykpimp OP
Live and let ride
 
bykpimp's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Cruz Ca
Oddometer: 1,408
Need New R100gspd Windshield????

Looking for a stock type windshield preferably smoked for my 89R100GSPD.
I do not want a Parabellum windshield. Is there anyone in the good ole USA that sells something like this??
bykpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #2
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer
 
opposedcyljunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: By the Lake
Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykpimp
Looking for a stock type windshield preferably smoked for my 89R100GSPD.
I do not want a Parabellum windshield. Is there anyone in the good ole USA that sells something like this??

www.chicagobmwmotorcycles.com/ has a stock windshield for less than $100 i think.
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
semoir
aging_hooligan
 
semoir's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: bajaz
Oddometer: 136
now i'm looking as above ^

... anyone know of a sorce for a stock '89-'90 GSPD
new or used windshield?

clear or smoked, wouldn't matter. I know they're out
there somewhere but can't locate.

TIA
__________________
VBMWO 4712
MOA 59574

semoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer
 
opposedcyljunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: By the Lake
Oddometer: 4,758
The dealerships should have them. Or www.Beemershop.com.
__________________
OCJ
92 R100GS-PD Euro
01 Vespa PX150E
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie
www.chicagobmwmotorcycles.com/ has a stock windshield for less than $100 i think.
I ordered one from Chicago BMW 6 months ago, bronze smoke.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer
 
Detroit Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Further...
Oddometer: 478
Nippy Normans of UK has a Secdem w/s that looks interesting, anybody have one?




comments on this windshield?
__________________
When you create with your brain, it is work
When you create with your heart, it is craft
When you create with your soul, it is art

Detroit Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer
 
opposedcyljunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: By the Lake
Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerSteve
Nippy Normans of UK has a Secdem w/s that looks interesting, anybody have one?




comments on this windshield?
I got one on my GSPD from Motobins, though not currently installed. I need to have the adjustment slot grooved like the OE so it stays put. Otherwise, it does help reduce the helmet buffeting without looking like a glass door was installed on your bike.
__________________
OCJ
92 R100GS-PD Euro
01 Vespa PX150E
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
subagon
Hopelessly lost
 
subagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Antioch, FL
Oddometer: 567
Anyone have a picture of the stock screen on a GS PD? I just bought a '93 and it has a after-market screen.

Here's a picture of my screen (sorry for the poor camera phone shot, better pictures after this weekend when i get it home). Anyone know what it is?

__________________
Mike
Antioch, FL - Hopelessly lost, but making good time
Bike picts
subagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer
 
opposedcyljunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: By the Lake
Oddometer: 4,758
Here's mine. There were actually 3 OE types: clear, tinted and opaque. Mine's the latter (and apparently NLA from the dealerships). Sorry, couldn't find better photos.


__________________
OCJ
92 R100GS-PD Euro
01 Vespa PX150E
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
semoir
aging_hooligan
 
semoir's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: bajaz
Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
I ordered one from Chicago BMW 6 months ago, bronze smoke.

Steve
Did find one shown on Max's fiche. Below is a flash pic of
my 1989 OEM original clear shield. Damn, it's developing small
swirling hairline cracks extending from each mounting hole. Wondering
if one could layer a small shaped clear piece (like vodoo glued) over
the damaged areas around the holes, if that would stop the crawling cracks?

Note that the shield has the lower shaded area. Midway
across (ctr over the headlight) are two part transparent
part numbers: 46.63-2.303.829 and 46.63-2.315.149 with
the roundel inbetween them and the DOT 256 number
below the roundel.

Steve: I'm wondering if the one you ordered,
does it closely resemble the OEM I have? Tks.

Max shows them and the numbers are close. I'll give them a
call and see if they're clear, amber, shaded lower or not.

Thanks again for the help. I too would like to keep the original
windscreen .. IMHO it doe's a great job for a such small shield.
They musta done their homework in the wind tunnel on these ..

- Cheers



__________________
VBMWO 4712
MOA 59574

semoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Toyanvil
Adventurer
 
Toyanvil's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Bakersfield CA
Oddometer: 1,547
Stock


Here is the one it came with, to big for my liking. I wish I knew what brand it is, maybe someone here will know
__________________
2004 BMW 1150 GS-1993 BMW R100GSPD-2009 Yamaha TW200 1961 Sunbeam Alpine
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. Hell, some of the places I’ve been there weren’t even roads!
Toyanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
semoir
aging_hooligan
 
semoir's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: bajaz
Oddometer: 136
Nice ride - note the dif in the windshields re rt edge fold out
for accomodating the master cyl on the earlier '89/'90. I
think the earlier ones (89-90) were a wider shield, also had
a pushover lip on the top. I do know that the later (like
yours) won't work on the earlier PD's due to not having the
cut out for the brake cyl.

Can't ID your larger one. Like most of the aftermarket
ones, IMO they are visually obtrusive but probably work well.

I've got the opaque shield as a backup but my pref is
the clear. I think Max has them.

cheers



__________________
VBMWO 4712
MOA 59574

semoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by semoir
Did find one shown on Max's fiche. Below is a flash pic of
my 1989 OEM original clear shield. Damn, it's developing small
swirling hairline cracks extending from each mounting hole. Wondering
if one could layer a small shaped clear piece (like vodoo glued) over
the damaged areas around the holes, if that would stop the crawling cracks?

Note that the shield has the lower shaded area. Midway
across (ctr over the headlight) are two part transparent
part numbers: 46.63-2.303.829 and 46.63-2.315.149 with
the roundel inbetween them and the DOT 256 number
below the roundel.

Steve: I'm wondering if the one you ordered,
does it closely resemble the OEM I have? Tks.

Max shows them and the numbers are close. I'll give them a
call and see if they're clear, amber, shaded lower or not.

Thanks again for the help. I too would like to keep the original
windscreen .. IMHO it doe's a great job for a such small shield.
They musta done their homework in the wind tunnel on these ..

- Cheers




I'm not 100% sure on yours, it may be that long distance w-screen that I've heard used to be available through BMW. It's definitely not the factory one on my bike. And that screen you have was never available on any Canadian model Paralever GS's, in fact all standard GS's had only bronze tint screens, all PD's had clear screens.
I use this site to get parts numbers, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do...9910500&arch=0 and in particular the w-shield #'s: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=46&fg=55 I wish I could find my paperwork to confirm actual part #'s.

I work in the retail glass business, and often have to work with plexiglass, in particular standard plexiglass, lexan, and mar-guard lexan. With my experience, those cracks I see developing around the fastening areas on your screen cannot be fixed in any way. They are a result of a combination of vibration and age related shrinking of the plexiglass. And full lexan will not do that. Most all bike makers use a high end version of standard plexiglass, some crack easier than others. Paralever GS standard screens are extremely tough, indicating more of a lexan than plexi. I have evidence in my garage of the old screen from my crash in 2005. The screen took the hit head on, the bodywork cracked all around it but it did not show even one hairline crack off any of the fasteners.


Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
semoir
aging_hooligan
 
semoir's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: bajaz
Oddometer: 136
Tks Steve - I see now in your sig that your's is a '91 GS so
you're correct, the earlier PD shield wouldn't be like your
stock shield.

Also looking at your site for the shields, the one shown is for
the later model w/o the upper lip or the fold out. Kudos also
for your info on the cracks is what I figured, unfixable.

Thanks for the comeback, it was my error in not seeing
the year of your GS in your sig.

FWIW here's the link for the earlier PD OEM shield as mine on
the Max fische:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...=061989-041990

I think they will be my best bet for finding a replacement.
__________________
VBMWO 4712
MOA 59574

semoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by semoir
Tks Steve - I see now in your sig that your's is a '91 GS so
you're correct, the earlier PD shield wouldn't be like your
stock shield.

Also looking at your site for the shields, the one shown is for
the later model w/o the upper lip or the fold out. Kudos also
for your info on the cracks is what I figured, unfixable.

Thanks for the comeback, it was my error in not seeing
the year of your GS in your sig.

FWIW here's the link for the earlier PD OEM shield as mine on
the Max fische:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...=061989-041990

I think they will be my best bet for finding a replacement.
I see, yes it seems the pre 1990's GSPD's had bigger screens. I don't think they were painted on the bottom, you think?

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014