User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Big Bamboo OP
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,765
BMW R100GSPD cutting out; not fuel related

I've been reading the other thread with interest, but a friends 1990 R100GS has a different symptom. Bike runs fine, pulls strong, but every so often will die for a couple seconds and then come back on with a BANG. Doing a tune up yesterday, I was checking his timing with a strobe and it was missing intermittently. When it happened the spark went away and the tach did a small drop. Obviously it's electronic, not fuel related, but I'm stumped as what could be causing this. Intermittent electronic failures are a bitch to diagnose. Any ideas?
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 579
I have had two hall sensors go down in the past and both have started with intermittent cutting out for a few days before packing up completely, it could be that.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
That is indeed exactly what my bean can did for a couple of weeks before finally giving it up.
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Chicken View Post
That is indeed exactly what my bean can did for a couple of weeks before finally giving it up.
+1. And that backfire scared my dog so bad she won't come near the bike anymore.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Big Bamboo OP
Aircooled & Sunbaked

OK, I know I've read somewhere that the Hall sensor is available and replaceable, but the search function doesn't seem to be working (does it ever?) Can someone post a link to the source and a tutorial on replacing it? Is it advisable to get the kit from BMW? I am assuming the black thing on the right is the Hall sensor?

Big Bamboo screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 12:49 PM
Old 08-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,804
http://www.deathstar.org/~flash/ig_trig.html

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...search=1&go=GO

I'm too lazy to find it...but someone just posted a link for just the hall sensor here.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
Bike runs fine, pulls strong, but every so often will die for a couple seconds and then come back on with a BANG. Doing a tune up yesterday, I was checking his timing with a strobe and it was missing intermittently. When it happened the spark went away and the tach did a small drop. Obviously it's electronic, not fuel related, but I'm stumped as what could be causing this. Intermittent electronic failures are a bitch to diagnose. Any ideas?
Bean Can electrical lead being squashed under the front engine cover.
Bean can
ICU
Contacts .. on nay of the electrical connectors, especially Bean Can to ICU. Then on the coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
OK, I know I've read somewhere that the Hall sensor is available and replaceable, but the search function doesn't seem to be working (does it ever?) Can someone post a link to the source and a tutorial on replacing it? Is it advisable to get the kit from BMW? I am assuming the black thing on the right is the Hall sensor?
Yes, that is the HES.
Only the bean can is available form BMW. Motobins (and possibly others) provide that (as in the photo) as a part. Buying the HES itself and then putting it on the bean can is tricky but doable and would save some money.

-------- 3 Pages back thread on HES source
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906586
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,279
Quote:
The Hall sensor is that black electronical part on the baseplate and it is available and replaceable as a separate item, not from BMW. The Hall sensor is standard electronic part, like a transistor or a resistor. The basic process is to remove the bad Hall sensor (it's riveted on) and install the new one (with nuts and bolts and solder it to the wiring harness (three wires). Not a big job.

I've seen umpty-dozen "Hall sensor" threads here, but bring a points guy, I've not paid much attention. Best was to search would be to use Google to search the site ADV for "Hall sensor", etc. The forum search engine is sucky and won't handle 3-letter terms like "hall". Down in the support forum there is a thread on using Google.

I'll be danged-- I had a "beancan thread" tucked away, all 11 pages of it:

bean can ignition advance module rebuild
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387675

--Bill
Old 08-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
Big Bamboo OP
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Thanks Y'all! Looks like I have a little light reading in store...
Old 08-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,146
It's kind of a job in my book but I have replaced about five of them myself. The trick is to not remove the drive and work from the front. The other trick is making a bucking bar so to speak for the rivets that hold them in place.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Only the bean can is available form BMW. Motobins (and possibly others) provide that (as in the photo) as a part.
MaxBMW is offering the replacement HES on the plate and now showing the whole beancan as NLA. That's a change.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #12
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,279
Quote:
replacement HES on the plate
Holy cow. For $330. Wow.

--Bill
Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #13
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,791
+5 or 6 or ??? My first thought was the hall sensor. My experience has been the plastic deteriorates and comes loose from its mounting. At first just the timing is off now and then, but eventually it comes totally loose or gets smacked by the spinning disc (with a slot) and then it's history.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
+5 or 6 or ??? My first thought was the hall sensor. My experience has been the plastic deteriorates and comes loose from its mounting. At first just the timing is off now and then, but eventually it comes totally loose or gets smacked by the spinning disc (with a slot) and then it's history.
Not seen the plastic deteriation (yet). Seen a small sliver of metal that changed its position on the magnet .. that varied the timing. I found it before that caused damage.

$300 used to be the total cost of the bean can ... that was some decades ago
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 321
A few years back a buddy and I were headed down the WVa turnpike towards the Blue Ridge Parkway. My buddy was on a 88 R100RT and he kept dropping back then would catch up. I thought that he was getting sleepy. I pulled off at the Beckley exit and we stopped for a late lunch / early dinner at Bob Evans.

Turns out my buddy, while in Canada the year before, had an issue of some sort and he removed the plugs and turned the engine over using the starter (ignition was on). The plugs were not well grounded and there was some suspicion that he might have damaged his ignition module. He obtained the new ignition module but didn't install it. He was able to complete his Canada ride and make it back to Ohio.

So now here we are in Beckley, WV and his bike is running then dying then making a backfire and running for a short while, then repeat symptom of dying, then bang! We decided to stay at one of the local hotels and thought it time to install the "new" ignition module. This we did in the hotel parking lot - I think that I have pictures somewhere.

The new ignition module took care of his problems and we had a nice trip. (That means that we didn't crash, but did ride through considerable rain).

I don't recall a suggestion about the ignition module being a possible source of the problems reported by the OP. [I always carry a spare with me on my 93 R100GS/PD].

Here is what I carry with me -
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Ign...mod-r284hd.htm

If you are near a RadioShack or have some thermal paste, you can save a few bucks and get this instead -
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Ign...gnmod-r284.htm

I've already purchased the Enduralast charging system for my GS (but haven't installed it yet). I'm considering the upgraded ignition system that replaces the bean can.
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/EnD...-p/edl-ign.htm
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Articles.asp?ID=146

robsmoto screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 05:36 PM
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote