Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
pbeemer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
91 GS : Proper Cylinder stud torque?

Morning

I've been searching this site and other resources for the proper torque (Nm) of the Cylinder studs. Maximum/Minimum?

Also, see if you guys agree with the torque (max) of 40Nm for 4 the Rocker nuts?

Thanks!
pbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 480
Unless I misinterpreted, according to the instructional in the Hall Of Wisdom, the head bolt should be set at 18 Nm plus an additional 180 degree turn. Torx head rocker holder screws were listed at 20 Nm.

Hope this helps.
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 34,332
Studs in the case are hand tight. The stud is under tension when the nut is tightened and it's the length of the threaded portion that retains the stud in the case.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 34,332
A stud or bolt it a spring. When you tighten it to clamp something like a cylinder head to the cylinder and block you are stretching it.

Do you mean the specification for the cylinder head nut? Here, try this, link. Good luck wading through the semiotic bullshit but he is supposed to be one of the best old BMW experts. Note the maximum do not exceed number, 27lbft. That is because the earlier, higher value seemed to cause more pulled studs. Originally BMW said to retorque the heads at every valve adjustment. Don't.

You also should go to the Airheads section of the Oldschool part of this forum, there is a wealth of knowledge and you'll probably be introduced to Supershaft whom should probably be ignored.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,854
Moved to the Airhead forum.

Please read the forum description before posting a third thread in GSpot.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 1,021
Is it an R100g/s or an R1100g/s? The R100 cylinder head torque is 25 foot pounds.

If it's an R1100g/s, the head studs only get angle torqued ONCE (at 600 miles) and doesn't require it again, ever! If you do angle torque those studs more than once, you risk pulling the studs out of the case or breaking the studs. DON'T DO IT! If you follow BMW's suggested procedure, the studs must be replaced every time the heads are un-torqued. Personally, if I have to change the head gaskets or whatever, I will re-use the cylinder studs but only torque to 25 foot pounds NO ADDITIONAL ANGLE TORQUE!

The R100g/s is an airhead, the R1100g/s is an oilhead.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Beater
The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer: 3,527
I believe factory said 25 but most go lower to avoid stripping the block. I use 22. Fred
Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
pbeemer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
A stud or bolt it a spring. When you tighten it to clamp something like a cylinder head to the cylinder and block you are stretching it.

Do you mean the specification for the cylinder head nut? Here, try this, link. Good luck wading through the semiotic bullshit but he is supposed to be one of the best old BMW experts. Note the maximum do not exceed number, 27lbft. That is because the earlier, higher value seemed to cause more pulled studs. Originally BMW said to retorque the heads at every valve adjustment. Don't.

You also should go to the Airheads section of the Oldschool part of this forum, there is a wealth of knowledge and you'll probably be introduced to Supershaft whom should probably be ignored.
Thanks Anorak.

I realized I was posting int he wrong place.

It's the Cylinder head stud itself.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #9
pbeemer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I believe factory said 25 but most go lower to avoid stripping the block. I use 22. Fred
Thanks Beater
Old 04-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
pbeemer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
Is it an R100g/s or an R1100g/s? The R100 cylinder head torque is 25 foot pounds.

If it's an R1100g/s, the head studs only get angle torqued ONCE (at 600 miles) and doesn't require it again, ever! If you do angle torque those studs more than once, you risk pulling the studs out of the case or breaking the studs. DON'T DO IT! If you follow BMW's suggested procedure, the studs must be replaced every time the heads are un-torqued. Personally, if I have to change the head gaskets or whatever, I will re-use the cylinder studs but only torque to 25 foot pounds NO ADDITIONAL ANGLE TORQUE!

The R100g/s is an airhead, the R1100g/s is an oilhead.
It's a 91 R100 GS. Not convinced (yet) that the stud is stripped, so I didn't want to create a problem by over torquing.

Thanks Pokie