User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
yankeeone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
78 r80/7 points

Hi, I am going thru the bike getting ready for start up. I took off the front cover to have a look at the points, and when I pulled the advance mechanism out. I found some slight rust on the shaft where the oil felt had sat for 28 years. I bought the bike last year and ran it for the summer after having cleaned the points with 400 wet/dry, but this year I want to replace the points, condenser and the rubber seal around the points assembly.

So the question is, are the points from Max going to work, and has anyone dealt with a bit of rust on the advance?
yankeeone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 802
You have a couple of options.
The best one is to lightly take the rust off the shaft with a heavy duty scotch brite pad and then lightly oil the remaining metal......or wax.
The worst option would just to commit suicide.
Which is the better choice?
You tell us.
Have a nice day.

PS> update your profile....you evidently only own a K100.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
yankeeone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spo123 View Post
You have a couple of options.
The best one is to lightly take the rust off the shaft with a heavy duty scotch brite pad and then lightly oil the remaining metal......or wax.
The worst option would just to commit suicide.
Which is the better choice?
You tell us.
Have a nice day.

PS> update your profile....you evidently only own a K100.
I did the scotchbrite before posting and there is some pitting left.

my preferred other option would be burn it, as apposed to your suggestion of suicide.
I am not sure if I will keep it, so it is not listed on profile.

Thanks for your help though.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 9,661
They all do that. The advance and points plate, the points themselves, they can all rust. A small amount doesn't do much harm. Clean it up. Try to keep water out.

The advance can be rusted enough that it is frozen and doesn't work. The tip of the camshaft the advance unit is on needs a light grease or use oil. The advance unit itself gets a heavier grease. Use only a light coating because extra grease can be thrown away by the centrifugal force and it can end up on the electrical contacts of the points which can stop the bike.

The felt and the rubbing block of the points gets the heavier grease. There is a special grease that is still made by several manufacturers for the points cam. It can be hard to find because points ignitions are getting so much rarer. It's called Distributor Cam Gear Grease.

This is sold by Summit Racing for almost $13.00 (you may find it cheaper elsewhere or get it over the counter at your local auto parts store. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-26015

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
yankeeone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Disston, there is surprisingly little rust in the little points compartment, really only where the felt was on the cam that opens the points. I ordered the rubber gasket and a new point wire rubber tube for when I put it back.
I guess I was looking for any pitfalls to watch for when I put in the new points.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 9,661
Pitting on the cam portion that opens the points can act like a file on the rubbing block but it usually isn't as bad an action as ones imagination thinks. You shouldn't sand the cam enough to change its profile as this would cause other problems such as uneven firing.

If the pitting is bad enough you are hunting for a new used advance unit. Prices in the used market have been going up in recent years, like everything else.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote