Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
Evo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Coker Diamonds?

Hi gents
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these tyres?

I'm looking for an alternative to Firestone Deluxes' but which actually grip.

Thanks in advance.
Evo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Given your username and the tires you're asking about I presume these are being used on a Harley for a vintage look. I get the "why" part, as I ran the Firestones on my '74 FLH for exactly that reason and thought they were fine .. until a loose wire from the carcass wore through the tube and left me stranded.

I had them both replaced with modern HD Dunlops, which opened my eyes to exactly how poor the repli-Firestones were. The bike handled WAY better (ok, relatively speaking for a '74 bardge) and was MUCH safer.

Try a set of modern Dunlops. Once mounted they are not that that different visually than the repli-treads (you can even get wide or thin white walls), you can't see them when you are riding anyway, but you will definately feel the difference. Unless you're farkling a parade-only Panhead go with the new treads - you won't regret it!

Bob
Old 11-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Coker tires are retro cool looking show bike tires. Though looking similar to OEM equip thy are NOT the same as OEM. I've tried them on old bikes focusing on the cool/correct look. They wear faster and have no where even close to OEM handling/performance characteristics. Not knocking Coker for building show trailer queen or Sunday local putt tires but if speed/performance tires are your concern... look elsewhere.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
98kellrs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I've got some Metzellers on mine, I have no complaints about them at all. I can't recall the model that I have, but they are the same as these, and quite good looking I think.

98kellrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
Evo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Thanks guys.

Other Bob- the username is misleading! I have a 77 R100S. Sorry - I should have made this clear from the start! Appreciate your feedback though as safety is a bigger priority than looks!

Usgser - thanks for your comments. I don't profess to be a skilled rider, so won't be pushing that hard. I just want something that looks vintage (to fit in with the look of my bike) but handles/grips ok. This is what steered me away from the Firestones as someone at a bikeshop recommended the Cokers as a step up in grip over the Firestones.

99kellrs - thanks for your suggestion. Ironically these are the tyres that came on my project bike when I got it! :) Perhaps I should just stick with these - it seems like fate!
Evo1 is offline   Reply With Quote