ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which is more reliable for Airheads ... electronic ignition or points?
BMW Airhead electronic ignitions are super reliable. Leave it alone 19 32.76%
BMW Airhead electronic ignitions are junk, replace with aftermarket electronic ignition 3 5.17%
BMW Airhead electronic ignitions are junk, replace with beancan w/points 5 8.62%
BMW points & Condensers are reliable. leave it alone 27 46.55%
BMW points & Condensers are junk. replace with aftermarket electronic ignition 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #106
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 943
thanks sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post
Word of advice; hang one to all your EI parts. I went your route on my G/S, drank the fanboy koolaid and all that about how great points were. In the end I went back to EI and I'm thrilled about it. .
Will do and yes you might be right.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #107
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrkbukly View Post
Will do and yes you might be right.
Always a fun experiment though....... Probably gonna take my points setup as a spare when I travel....but will probably never use it.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #108
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,878
Quote:
Word of advice; hang one to all your EI parts. I went your route on my G/S, drank the fanboy koolaid and all that about how great points were. In the end I went back to EI and I'm thrilled about it. Point and condensers are getting to be poorly made unlike the OE stuff, if you do have a problem points are one more variable that you must work through.

Also....for all the reasons you mentioned for wanting points...my bike did it worse with points. If my can goes crap up, I'll get the motorrad electric upgraded stuff and be happy.
since at one time ALL airheads ran on points just fine. pretty safe to say if you couldn't get your G/S running right with beancan w/points. either a component was defective or mechanic didn't get settings correct and/or both.

debate on which is better .. points or electronic ignition is better will probably go on forever .. but what's not been proven is one running better than the other. setup properly either one will perform just fine.

it's really about needing to be field serviceable w/maintenance vs no maintenance until if/when it breaks. unlikely one will be carrying spare components .. after your bike is towed home and/or garage. the fun starts chasing down which component failed.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #109
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,781
It has never been proven that electronic performs better? Go to any races vintage or not anywhere and see if anyone is running points. Not if they can help it because electronic out performs points any way you look at it. Going back to points? It's laughable. A bad setup made worse now by poorly made points and condensers. Vintage bikes ran fine with points? Sure, for a while but that doesn't last long because points are degrading the whole time they are being used. Not so with electronic. Besides, newer bikes run MUCH better with out them. Around the world? I would rather carry a spare hall effects sensor and an ICU than a set of points and condenser. One set of points? I would carry several. Good luck getting a decent set on the road.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #110
Skyshadow
Banned

Exactly what I'm saying SS, If a guy wants to spend the money on a points setup, let em. It's their bike. I know on my bike the can was perfect, fully rebuilt with new parts all around. Timing was spot on as well. My condenser went out on a trip and after going to about 3 different auto places that were more than happy to order one for me I ended up getting stuck waiting for the Mexican made part to come in. It started acting up a few weeks later.

For the cost, reliability and benefit of Ricks part not sure why people even look at the points any more. But.....if I hold onto mine long enough I may be able to sell it for enough to buy one of ricks units

In regards to which one is better? Wonder why Dyna add on EI came along if points were so hot?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #111
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Exactly what I'm saying SS, If a guy wants to spend the money on a points setup, let em. It's their bike. I know on my bike the can was perfect, fully rebuilt with new parts all around. Timing was spot on as well. My condenser went out on a trip and after going to about 3 different auto places that were more than happy to order one for me I ended up getting stuck waiting for the Mexican made part to come in. It started acting up a few weeks later.

For the cost, reliability and benefit of Ricks part not sure why people even look at the points any more. But.....if I hold onto mine long enough I may be able to sell it for enough to buy one of ricks units

In regards to which one is better? Wonder why Dyna add on EI came along if points were so hot?
out of all of the points/condensers I've messed with for 20+ years. have never seen a condenser go bad. not saying it cannot happen, but it's a rare event. most times I've switched out condenser was simply replacing with points. everyone once in awhile you'll see a condenser that allow points to burn. but a condenser that totally fails, killing motor .. not saying it cannot happen just I've never personally seen one fail.

most any condenser can be made to work in a pinch .. there's nothing wrong with wanting to stick with electronic ignition. pretty safe to say your one example of not being able to get a point system to work is NOT the normal.

vs not being able to get an electronic ignition to work is pretty darn common. intermittent failures on electronics is when the real fun starts ...

yes folks do change out points for electronic ignitions .. but most aftermarket ignitions sold are to replace failed OEM electronic ignitions. And yes Rick and others sells a butt load of em ...

_cy_ screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 09:28 PM
Old 06-13-2014, 04:29 AM   #112
Skyshadow
Banned

one thing with mine also may have been the coil as well. I had a dyna 3 ohm coil as recommended. I use an inductive pickup tach and it was intermittant at best. With the dyna 1.5 and stock ignition it works perfect.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #113
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,781
Well, I suspect for once I have the majority on my side not that it really matters but . . . . Engines in general? I bet for every electronic ignition converted back to points there has been a thousand points converted to electronic and I am not thinking about the manufacturers. That would be around a million or some such huge number. Real progress. Back to points? The entire notion is hilarious. ATW or not.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #114
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,257
RE: points

After the great BMW-sourced points debacle, I found that the Noris points proved to be a reliable, quality part.

Recently I've tried a set of Bremi points. The look and feel is good, but I won't know for several months how well they perform. Stay tuned...

BMW part ref# 12 11 1 243 555
Noris points
Bremi points
Source: Hucky's, aka Hans Lowe

--Bill
Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #115
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
only reason I've not added an ignition booster is .. there's been no real need...

drawback to points is as points rubbing block wears or contact burns .. points contact closes down. making now hard to find points grease even more important. adjusting points is a small price to pay for knowing you will not be stranded on side of road from ignition failure.
The Dyna Booster has the advantage of determining the dwell angle value (ie, "coil saturation value") and not by the point gap or physical dwell of the points, so the dwell is unaffected by the wear in the point's rubbing block. However, the wear in the rubbing block still causes the point gap to decrease which, in turn, retards the ignition timing, so you still need occasionally twiddle with the point gap to keep the timing where it should be....

--Bill
Old 06-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #116
190e
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
The Dyna Booster has the advantage of determining the dwell angle value (ie, "coil saturation value") and not by the point gap or physical dwell of the points, so the dwell is unaffected by the wear in the point's rubbing block.
So a Dyna booster has internal electronic dwell control ? I've never heard of a points ingnition booster that did that. Most are just an electronic switch triggered by the points so they maintain exactly the same dwell as a points system and the points gap is still the determining factor for dwell. I know my Velleman K2543 points booster does not determine dwell. If the Dyna does it's got to be worth the extra cost.
190e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #117
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,311
Is there a way to identify the bad points that were supplied by BMW? Reason I ask, is I have a few NOS sets that came in heavy white cardboard boxes. Not sure of the age, though...
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #118
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 943
Xanadu…just arrived

Stay tuned….

Going into the PD.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #119
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

congrats .. now fill us in on your little adventure finding that little jewel!!
Old 06-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #120
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
Is there a way to identify the bad points that were supplied by BMW? Reason I ask, is I have a few NOS sets that came in heavy white cardboard boxes. Not sure of the age, though...
I've never heard of a marking that identifies the bad ignition points. Since the problems seems to be too big a rubbing block then maybe you can measure this. Measure a Norris points to compare too. Points with too large a block can have their blocks filed down?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote