Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #361
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
If a person wanted an AR to use as a platform for some of the various uppers in different calibers, and wanted to start with an M4 type rifle config in 5.56, and wanted it to be as military standard as possible (i.e., parts interchangeability, etc.), *and* wanted something that would accept an upper that could be used for precision shooting - which brand/model would you start with?

I would like to have an AR in 5.56, but would also like something in maybe .300 Blackout, maybe one of the 6/7mm wildcats, maybe even one of the much larger chamberings (.50 BMG).

I looked at the MGI Hydra system and it looked promising, but after googling it a bit came to find out that MGI over-promises and under-delivers, when what I want it the other way around.

I don't want to build from a lower and put together a parts gun, I want a working rifle to start from.
Budget?
The beauty of the AR platform is that any inspec lower will fit any inspec upper.
I would say Stag, Spikes.
I have been out of the AR loop for a bit but when I was there are only a couple of companies that actualy make lower receivers the rule I always used was pick the logo/color you like the most and go from there. As for uppers thats where it gets a bit more complicated because there are so many options.
If you were to buy a complete rifle I'd say a 16" mid length from any of the known makers is the best starting point.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #362
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Budget?
The beauty of the AR platform is that any inspec lower will fit any inspec upper.
I would say Stag, Spikes.
I have been out of the AR loop for a bit but when I was there are only a couple of companies that actualy make lower receivers the rule I always used was pick the logo/color you like the most and go from there. As for uppers thats where it gets a bit more complicated because there are so many options.
If you were to buy a complete rifle I'd say a 16" mid length from any of the known makers is the best starting point.
I love my Stag Model 1 Plus. Shoots great. It came with a detachable carry handle. I did put a scope and red-dot (still need to get it zeroed in a little better) but it shot pretty awesome with the iron sights.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #363
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Budget?
I was hoping to stay under $1K for the starter rifle as I had been seeing the prices drop until late this year.

Now with the panic buying that number is up in the air. I am not going to be buying at panic prices so I will just wait until it dies down. This is a "like to have" item, not a must have (I already have my "must haves") and I don't panic buy unless it is TEOTWAWKI and money isn't going to be worth anything - which I don't see happening.

I tend to research stuff and get a feel for what would work for me and what won't. This would not be a personal defense rifle, it would be something that I use for sport shooting (possibly feral hog hunting) so I can afford to wait and pick and choose.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #364
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
If a person wanted an AR to use as a platform for some of the various uppers in different calibers, and wanted to start with an M4 type rifle config in 5.56, and wanted it to be as military standard as possible (i.e., parts interchangeability, etc.), *and* wanted something that would accept an upper that could be used for precision shooting - which brand/model would you start with?

I would like to have an AR in 5.56, but would also like something in maybe .300 Blackout, maybe one of the 6/7mm wildcats, maybe even one of the much larger chamberings (.50 BMG).

I looked at the MGI Hydra system and it looked promising, but after googling it a bit came to find out that MGI over-promises and under-delivers, when what I want it the other way around.

I don't want to build from a lower and put together a parts gun, I want a working rifle to start from.
If it was me I would look hard at this one:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/Colt...tLE90116S.aspx

It can accept both 7.62x51 and 5.56x45 size uppers.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #365
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post

Interesting. A bit above the budget I had thought to have, but the fact that it is essentially an AR-10 that takes an AR-15 upper adds a lot of value. It gives you a semi-auto with semi-auto uppers from 5.56x45 up to 7.62x51.

I wonder if a person could find a .243 or 7mm/08 upper to work on this? If a person could fit an upper with one of the 7.62x51 variants, then that would give a person a lot more to choose from. Say for example .338x51 (.338 Federal) with heavy bullets for subsonic (or not) shooting.

I would guess that if a person could get their hands on additional .308 uppers (preferably sans barrel) that a gunsmith could be found that could re-barrel it for one of the .308 variants. Not sure about that though.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #366
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,988
Quote:
Interesting. A bit above the budget I had thought to have, but the fact that it is essentially an AR-10 that takes an AR-15 upper adds a lot of value. It gives you a semi-auto with semi-auto uppers from 5.56x45 up to 7.62x51.

I wonder if a person could find a .243 or 7mm/08 upper to work on this? If a person could fit an upper with one of the 7.62x51 variants, then that would give a person a lot more to choose from. Say for example .338x51 (.338 Federal) with heavy bullets for subsonic (or not) shooting.

I would guess that if a person could get their hands on additional .308 uppers (preferably sans barrel) that a gunsmith could be found that could re-barrel it for one of the .308 variants. Not sure about that though.
Just buy a replacement barrel in the caliber of your choice, as long as it is in the 308 family.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #367
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:

That versatility is what interested me when I read about it. You could have one "gun" that could shoot a whole variety of stuff. 308, .338, .243 on the "Xx51" upper, and 5.56, .300 Whisper/Blackout for the "Xx45" upper, and maybe even a .22lr conversion might work.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #368
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 942
That's what makes this platform so cool the versatility.
I remember buying my first freefloat upper in '79 or '80ish at Olympic arms. I was driving past their facility and stopped in.
They said "if you think that is cool look at this" a 17-223 That opened my eyes to the possibilities of this platform..and cost me a shit load of money over the years
That Colt in the link is a nice looking piece, cant wait to see it in person at SHOT.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #369
rivers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Who makes this / what brand & model case is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper;2021972

rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #370
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
That versatility is what interested me when I read about it. You could have one "gun" that could shoot a whole variety of stuff. 308, .338, .243 on the "Xx51" upper, and 5.56, .300 Whisper/Blackout for the "Xx45" upper, and maybe even a .22lr conversion might work.
One of the articles I read on the rifle said the .22LR conversions didn't work due to a part of the bolt mechanism or something like that. Maybe something could be made to work but apparently the ones off the shelf didn't work.

I am not a big fan of the .22LR conversions anyway - beyond possible training value, I don't see much benefit. I would rather have a number of good .22 rimfire rifles that shoot the cartridge very well than a semi-auto military clone that shoots it poorly to fair.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #371
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,988
Quote:

I am not a big fan of the .22LR conversions anyway -
I think the point of 22 conversions is to use the platform inexpensively.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #372
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
I was hoping to stay under $1K for the starter rifle as I had been seeing the prices drop until late this year.

Now with the panic buying that number is up in the air. I am not going to be buying at panic prices so I will just wait until it dies down. This is a "like to have" item, not a must have (I already have my "must haves") and I don't panic buy unless it is TEOTWAWKI and money isn't going to be worth anything - which I don't see happening.

I tend to research stuff and get a feel for what would work for me and what won't. This would not be a personal defense rifle, it would be something that I use for sport shooting (possibly feral hog hunting) so I can afford to wait and pick and choose.
I would bet that these panic prices are here to stay. At the moment they are panic prices, but soon will become the price paid post-ban for pre-ban items.

Unlike the prices paid after the utterly fabricated "500% tax on ammo" rumors circulated by NRA and most likely Remington and Federal, which did come back down SLIGHTLY after people realized it was utter bullshit
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #373
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Got to agree..unfortunately..
If a person really wants one, he just needs to be patient.
A lot of people buy this stuff..just because. When things get a little tight or spring comes and they want that new bike ..that's when you have to be ready to strike.
Gary

Should have seen the Fex Drivers face about a hour ago. "Whats in these boxes..Gold?" Ive never seen boxes so small weigh so much!
I said..close..lead
Not sure about that, if the ban does go back into place, I think prices will stay pretty high. Now, I do agree with you about folks buying knee-jerk style now and wanting to sell. I just think after the ban there will be folks willing to pay prime $$. Might come down a bit, but I think the days of the $700 AR are behind us.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #374
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,407
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
...That Colt in the link is a nice looking piece, cant wait to see it in person at SHOT.
Gary

About three months ago, my best friend (female) and I were at one of the gun shows, in San Antone.

I don't know about the gun shows in your area. However, ours have turned into shit collections: t-shirts, "magic" tape, jewelry, shit guns, etc.

At this particular show, there were 200 tables of crap, and one dealer who had about eight tables with all the cool goodies.

Anyhoo, my friend saw me eyeing that exact rifle from Colt. She knows I'm a Colt guy, and has known me long enough to know what my mind is thinking, especially when I won't put something down.

The guy wanted (I believe) ~$2300 for it. My friend said, "You should get it." I told her, "Nah, I want a Springfield SOCOM. And, if I buy this, I'll still want a SOCOM." So, I passed.

I bet, if I could find that rifle now, I couldn't touch it for less then $6000-$7000...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #375
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I think the point of 22 conversions is to use the platform inexpensively.
I.E., training/practice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: