User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Day 4 Sept 20 330 kms Nakusp BC to Sandpoint ID

When I got to Nakusp I didn’t see much besides the hotel and the pizza place I went to pick up my supper, so I took a walk around town before heading out.

Google maps said the quickest way to Creston and the border was to head South towards Nelson, so I followed the signs towards New Denver and Kaslo instead. It was a great road with lots of “slow to 60 kmh” or “slow to 30 kmh” signs. I was pretty impressed with the old shovel, I was taking the “60” corners at about 90 or 100, and the “30” corners at around 50. No shaking or scraping. After A while I looked in the mirrors and saw…… something…… behind me. Kind of a different looking motorcycle gaining fast.

I pulled over to the right to let him by, and I hear this growl as he went by. What is that? Looks Italian. Hey, that’s a Laverda!! (OK, I saw that the back of his jacket said Laverda)

And he was gone.

I stopped for a look around at a rest area.

After a few miles, I saw the Laverda in my mirrors again. I moved over, and away he went. Sweet!!

I turned onto hwy 31 at New Denver. Now this road is twisty. The same “slow to” signs on the corners, but the corners weren’t quite the same. I was dragging floorboards just trying to do the posted speed. Whoo hoo.

If you like bikes, you would like riding in the Kootenays.

I rode into Kaslo, where I stopped for lunch.

I rode along the lake, stopping here and there for a look around

On the ferry I visited with a local fellow riding a BMW 650GS. He told me about all the great riding in the area.

I stopped for gas in Creston and got talking to a guy on a newer Harley. He told me the best way to the border ( I was planning on going to go to a different, further away crossing)

Got to the border and the border guard asked me all the standard questions. No problem, this is going smooth. She asks me where I work and how I am going to support myself in the USA (uh oh) then she looks at me funny and asks “have you ever been arrested or refused entry to the USA”.

Crap

Go inside and see the guy.

He asks me the standard questions, gives me my passport back after a bit and away I go. I just was thinking that whenever I ride a Harley to the border I get questioned, and when I ride something else I am left alone, and maybe there was something to that, when the guy behind me on the KTM 990 with Nevada plates gets hauled in. Well, there goes that theory.

I rode to Bonners Ferry where I picked up some maps and went to the Bank to deposit some money so I could use my handy dandy Wells Fargo debit card I had picked up last spring in Texas.

I rode into Sandpoint. Picked up some groceries and talked bikes to a couple of guys in front of the grocery store, and headed off to a campsite for the night.

BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 5 Sept 21 370 kms Sandpoint ID to Grangeville ID

I wanted to go over my bike this morning, so I packed up my camp, got out the wrenches and went over the bolts I thought needed checking. As expected a couple were loosening a little, so I tightened them up, checked a few things I was watching, loaded up and hit the road.

As I rode it got hotter and smokier. When I stopped for gas or a break, people were commenting about the heat and the smoke. Everybody seemed to think the heat would break by next week, and all thought I was nuts heading towards Texas in this heat, and everybody said the smoke was because there were fires near some town called Grangeville, to the South.

There were lots of historic sites along the way, and made for good places to stop, have a drink of water, and read the signs stating the historic significance.

I stopped in Moscow, Idaho for a bit, and found they had Motorcycle parking only spaces on main street ( I like motorcycle only parking spaces)

Moscow is a college town, with lots of young, artsy types running around. It was kind of tough finding a restaurant with anything I wanted on the menu. J

The downtown area was nice, with lots of trees and well taken care of old buildings

As I headed south, the smoke got thicker. So thick you could taste it. I had to stop to wipe my eyes as they were stinging from the smoke.

I had been watching the time on my GPS, and figured I would tough out the smoke and ride for another hour or so. Once, when I stopped yet again to wipe my eyes, I checked the time on my phone, and it was an hour later than the GPS. I figured I must have crossed a time zone, so I decided to get a room in the next town. I pulled in to Grangeville, apparently the closest town to all the fires and got a room. When I looked at the time on the hotel clock, it said the same time as my GPS. I guess this part of Idaho is on Washington time or something………
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 6 Sept 22 537 kms Grangeville ID to Twin Falls ID

The smoke in Grangeville was even thicker this morning.

I ate my complimentary cereal and toast and headed south in the smoke. About 20 miles south of town I went past the helicopter and fire crew camps set up on the side of the road. The smoke was even thicker, and it was hard to see oncoming cars, even the ones with their headlights on (can you believe there were a lot of vehicle WITHOUT headlights on in the smoke)

I stopped at a viewpoint, and I can only take their word for it there was a view.

As I got further south, the smoke lessened, traffic picked up, the sun was able to get a bit of heat through the smoke and it turned into a pretty OK day for riding. Not clear of smoke, but not sickenly thick.

Hwy 95 south of Grangeville is an awesome road. Lots of twisting and turning. Up mountains, down mountains, through valleys, then back up a mountain.

At New Meadows, I turned onto hwy 55, and went up, and up, and up to a little resort town of McColl. I thought the town looked pretty cool, so I stopped for a picture, and ended up staying quite a while.

It was a quiet little resort town, and everyone was wandering around, not in a rush. I have been feeling pretty relaxed on this trip, but just being in McColl made me feel even more so.

They had a pretty cool idea for crosswalks there, one that I had never seen before. At every intersection down town, there was a rack of red flags on sticks, and pedestrians could take a flag, cross the street holding the flag up for traffic to see, the deposit the flag in a rack on the other side of the street. (It took me a bit to figure out what the flags were for J )

I headed down hwy 55, the road winding along the river in places.

I rode into Boise, and had a look around for a bit. I wanted to find an auto parts store and a camping place. Finding Cabelas was a bit tricky with just my iPhone maps, but finding my way out of town was pretty easy, as Cabelas was right next to the freeway (wish I had known that coming IN to town)

Out of Boise I hit my first bit of actual freeway on the trip so far (boooring)

The speed limit is 75 mph on the freeway, but I kept to a sedate 65, not wanting to over tax the old bike for too long. I am not used to being on the freeway and having everybody passing me (75 is the speed limit. Most everybody was doing WAY over that)

I stopped at a little one horse town for gas.

I got talking to an older guy about bikes. He was pretty interested in my bike, and had a 05 Fat Boy at home.

I rode into Twin Falls, hoping to get there before 6 so I could buy a headlight at the Harley shop (mine burnt out. I knew that automotive headlights would shake apart in an old shovel when I installed it, but I installed it anyway) I got to town just before 6, but couldn’t find the Harley shop until just after closing. Crap.

I got a room at a Motel 6, and they directed me to the motorcycle parking right outside my room

Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #19
WayFar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Nice Shovel! I've got a 73 E-glide myself. These old bikes might be slow, but they have SOUL.

1973 FL
2006 Uly
WayFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #20
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
What an awesome beautiful bike, I can imagine you´ll never sell it, I wouldn´t....
Enjoy your trip, we will...
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #21
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Great RR.............love those old Harleys
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #22
horseiron1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Do you think you will make it to the next Ralley in the Crater on the 27-30 Sep.? link: http://rallys-r-us.com/Index.html
horseiron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFar View Post
Nice Shovel! I've got a 73 E-glide myself. These old bikes might be slow, but they have SOUL.

Thanks WayFar

Shovels are great. Mine is stroked to 88,some whoop de doo cam, super E carb, geared pretty high, and actually gets up and dances pretty good when I ask it to.

But for now I am taking it easy on the old girl . I am a long ways from home and am pretty good at breaking thngs. Maybe when I get home and know it better I'll do some stupid sh*t on it. But for now I am staying in the slow lane.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
What an awesome beautiful bike, I can imagine you´ll never sell it, I wouldn´t....
Enjoy your trip, we will...
Greetz, Hans.
Thanks

She's a keeper all right. I have wanted another shovel for a while, and I am pretty happy I got this one :)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddygfw View Post
Great RR.............love those old Harleys
Thanks Paddygfw

Me too!!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #26
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseiron1 View Post
Do you think you will make it to the next Ralley in the Crater on the 27-30 Sep.? link: http://rallys-r-us.com/Index.html
That was the idea, but I am travelling pretty slow and still have a ways to go to get there.
I'll keep on heading in that direction and see what happens:)

BC Brian screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 01:35 AM
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #27
indianscout
Dexter

Oddometer: 617
I really enjoy seeing that old iron back on the road again where it belongs. Subscribed!
indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 322
Really good report......I'm subscribed!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #29
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 7 Sept 23 571 kms Twin Falls ID to Salt Lake City UT

This morning I did my normal “check the bike over thing” and pulled the headlight to make sure I was getting power. I figured it was probably the light, but both high and low beam went at the same time, so I wanted to make sure. There were quite a few travellers wandering around wanting to chat about the bike while I was trying to check things out. One couple wandered by, him with a grey pony tail and her, an older hottie, and he says “Nice shovel. You don’t see many of those on the road anymore.” And I says “probably because you have to wrench them every morning.” And smile. And SHE says, “I know what you mean, I ride a Panhead.” And wanders away. Cool!

I stop at the first autoparts store I find, install a headlight (another automotive one) and away I go.

I head south and stop at the tourist info booth in Jackpot, NV. It’s almost 10:30 and the sign says open Sundays at 10:30. So I wait till about 10:35, no one shows up, so I head out. About 5 miles South of town there is a sign stating you are now back in Pacific time. Hmmmm. Maybe Jackpot is on Pacific time as well, and it was only 9:30 at info booth……

Info booth parking lot

When I got to Wells, I stopped for a bite to eat. I wasn’t sure what time it was, but it turns out it was NOW 10:30, so I had to order lunch. J

I headed East on the freeway, and went up and up and up.

I rode into Utah, and stopped here for a bit

I rode towards the speedway, and I followed a 2 lane blacktop road for a few miles along the salt, then the road just……. stopped. There were a bunch of cars and people hanging around, and a few cars out on the salt. I stopped, looked around, and figured, well, I am not just going to sit here on the blacktop……

I rode a couple miles out onto the sand. It was kind of eerie riding out there. I only got up to about 60 miles an hour, but the sand was so flat and so smooth, with no reference objects, you really couldn’t get a sense of how fast you were going.

NOT the world’s fastest Shovelhead

There were a few wet patches, and my bike got covered with salt.

As I came back to the parking area, lots of people were taking pictures of the idiot who took his old Harley out on the salt J

At the gas station, I asked for directions to a car wash. They must have had lots of people asking, cause he gave very good directions on how to get there.

When I ran out of quarters for the car wash, I headed towards Salt Lake City. As I got closer, I realised I didn’t have a plan as to where I was going. I knew I wanted to head South from there, but hadn’t looked at where I was going to go or what roads went South.

I figured I would find wifi or a map somewhere along the line. I saw a sign stating an exit for a Love’s travel center, and I figured they would have Wifi, or a map, or both. I was riding along, thinking about Love’s travel center, and how it got the name, and how, in Spanish it would be pronounced Low-vays and, crap, what exit was that again? Well, there should be another sign, right?

So now I am onto a bigassed freeway, 6 lanes going each direction, and no sign telling me where to go. Well, it’s Sunday, and the traffic is light. I’ll just ride through town and there will be somewhere on the other side. I see a sign that says “Las Vegas” “South” and, while I don’t want to go to Vegas, I want to go South, so away I go.

Well, Crap, the traffic gets heavy, everyone is travelling 75 miles per hour, people are weaving in and out. There are on ramps and off ramps and round and round ramps, with signs going here and signs going there. I follow the mayhem for a while, spot an off ramp offering gas stations, so I pull off, find the gas station, ask for maps. He’s out of maps, but “where did you want to go, maybe I can help”, he says. “Well”, I tell him, "that’s why I wanted the map, so I can figure out where I want to go.” He asks me if I want to go to Colorado, so I says, “sure” so he tells me where to go and where to turn and it’s a great road through the mountains…… perfect!

Back into the chaos I go for a few miles, and I spot a cheap motel. I pull off, get a room, then run down to a car wash to give the bike a REAL good cleansing to get rid of any residual salt.

BC Brian screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 10:10 PM
Old 09-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #30
WayFar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Thanks WayFar

Shovels are great. Mine is stroked to 88,some whoop de doo cam, super E carb, geared pretty high, and actually gets up and dances pretty good when I ask it to.

But for now I am taking it easy on the old girl . I am a long ways from home and am pretty good at breaking thngs. Maybe when I get home and know it better I'll do some stupid sh*t on it. But for now I am staying in the slow lane.
Nice. Mine recently went through a total rebuild, and is a 98" now. My Dad has a 93" shovel, and I couldn't bear the thought of the old man being faster than me. I bought him that bike for Father's Day a few years ago, and that's what induced me to get one of my own. I love seeing yours on this trip, makes me want to do the same.

1973 FL
2006 Uly
WayFar is offline   Reply With Quote