Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #31
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurecycle View Post
Best of luck! I'm currently at 132,000 on my 2002 1150GS. Never had any issues, and just did the NC to Prudhoe Bay and back.

Awesome!!! Just shy of 10000 miles round trip if you took zero side trips. What tires are you running and please don't lie to me and say you did the whole trip on a single rear without changing out at some point!
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #32
adventurecycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Lol, No way one could do that trip on one set of tires. My trip was 13,000 miles in 33 days. I started out with brand new Tourance's with 2 new TKC80's in tow. Changed to the knobbys in Fairbanks and rode them up the dalton and back to MI where the rear blew out. I put my rear metzler back on and finished the ride to Charlotte. I still have the front metzler on by the way. It has over 10k on it and is probably ready to change out.

2002 BMW R1150GS
adventurecycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #33
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
Wow! So BMW apparently waits till somebody needs one to produce a replacement cylinder? That's a totally new approach to customer support! Also, it takes weeks to do it? Must be one helluva lotta work. I wonder if it's the same for other major replacement parts?
I had a somewhat similar situation many years ago with a 95 R1100GS. In the shop for routine service, part of the cylinder head just crumbled around one of the valve cover bolt holes. It was under warranty but it took around a month for a new cylinder head to get shipped over from Berlin. Luckily I wasn't in the middle of a trip and had another bike to ride.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #34
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I had a somewhat similar situation many years ago with a 95 R1100GS. In the shop for routine service, part of the cylinder head just crumbled around one of the valve cover bolt holes. It was under warranty but it took around a month for a new cylinder head to get shipped over from Berlin. Luckily I wasn't in the middle of a trip and had another bike to ride.

The middle of the trip part did suck donkey but I do have my 2011 Speed Triple to keep me distracted here in Florida while my new cylinder head makes its way to Sturgis from the Motherland! I may need to go buy another bike tomorrow so that I will always have full dual redundancy. Because if one bike has major problems and my second bike has minor problems that takes it out of service for 2 or 3 days the result would be totally unacceptable.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #35
Friction275
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Bike shipping

There is already a massive delivery network in place for bikes that the dealerships use so that is your best bet. Find the biggest Harley or foreign bike dealership you can in the area and talk to them about it.

I've sold bikes on eBay before and every time I went to a large local dealership and handed them a delivery address and a check and they took care of packing and shipping. The dealerships generally have empty bike crates around that they return to the distributor anyway so they packed my bikes up and sent them with the truck. It takes a little longer since the bike will move from hub to hub as trucks are moving in the right direction but it will get to you in a few weeks. The last bike I sold that was a similar size to a GS was a Honda CB1000 and it went from TN to WA in 2 weeks for under $500.

The only caveats were that the bike had to be delivered to another dealer or somewhere with a suitable loading dock.

It was really extremely easy.
Friction275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #36
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friction275 View Post
There is already a massive delivery network in place for bikes that the dealerships use so that is your best bet. Find the biggest Harley or foreign bike dealership you can in the area and talk to them about it.

I've sold bikes on eBay before and every time I went to a large local dealership and handed them a delivery address and a check and they took care of packing and shipping. The dealerships generally have empty bike crates around that they return to the distributor anyway so they packed my bikes up and sent them with the truck. It takes a little longer since the bike will move from hub to hub as trucks are moving in the right direction but it will get to you in a few weeks. The last bike I sold that was a similar size to a GS was a Honda CB1000 and it went from TN to WA in 2 weeks for under $500.

The only caveats were that the bike had to be delivered to another dealer or somewhere with a suitable loading dock.

It was really extremely easy.

Per earlier recommendations I looked into uShip and by the looks of things (I have not pulled the trigger yet because the bike is still being repaired) I can get it picked up at Sturgis Motorsports and delivered to my home in Cape Canaveral, Fl for around $500 to $700. That is very reasonable
Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #37
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
I realize the air travel part is a done deal since you are already at home. However, for future reference, might I ask why you didn't just purchase a round-trip ticket so you could go back and get the bike yourself? The added cost is usually minimal when compared to a one-way ticket so even if you changed your mind, you would not be greatly out of pocket.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #38
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I realize the air travel part is a done deal since you are already at home. However, for future reference, might I ask why you didn't just purchase a round-trip ticket so you could go back and get the bike yourself? The added cost is usually minimal when compared to a one-way ticket so even if you changed your mind, you would not be greatly out of pocket.
Just for giggles I pluged some dates in to see what the difference would be. I paid $630 one-way to come home. I saw prices for round-trip in the high $800's and because I would not know my return date I would surely have to incur a one time change of $150 plus what every difference in fair it on that date. I fly for work a lot and am very familiar with the mess involved with travel these days. That being said, it may have saved a couple hundred bucks in the long run over flying one-way and having the bike shipped but there is also that 3 day, 2000 mile ride and time off work. I would say for the Sturgis to Cape Canaveral scenario it would be a wash at best.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #39
ewbutler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
MJ you might want to look into an extended warranty for a bit more peace of mind. IIRC some can run for 7 years from the date the bike was put in service, with unlimited mileage and are transferable one time. With 32,000 miles on my 2010 GSA after 11 months I got a policy, through my dealer, from Zurich. Big bearing in the FD went at 40,500 and was replaced with no question, 6 months later the fuel strip went and was replaced immediately. I have no affiliation with Zurich and I'm sure there are several reputable outfits doing business. That policy has paid for itself already and I have over 5 years left with unlimited mileage. WhooHaaa!
ewbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #40
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ewbutler--If you do not mind me asking; what did the extended warranty cost you? My goal of 250000 miles on my bike will not happen without an occasional hiccup or two like you mentioned.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #41
Z50Pilot
Sparky

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbutler View Post
MJ you might want to look into an extended warranty for a bit more peace of mind. IIRC some can run for 7 years from the date the bike was put in service, with unlimited mileage and are transferable one time. With 32,000 miles on my 2010 GSA after 11 months I got a policy, through my dealer, from Zurich. Big bearing in the FD went at 40,500 and was replaced with no question, 6 months later the fuel strip went and was replaced immediately. I have no affiliation with Zurich and I'm sure there are several reputable outfits doing business. That policy has paid for itself already and I have over 5 years left with unlimited mileage. WhooHaaa!
+1 on the Zurich warranty. I had the FD replaced through Zurich, as well as some other work. They took a few weeks to OK the FD replacement, but it was done at no charge. Overall it saved me over $3K in warranty work. It was also a selling point when I sold the bike (6 years old, 65K miles and it still had warranty left).

MJ, the cost was about $1200 when I purchased it for my 06 GS (in April 09). If you get the warranty during the factory warranty period it is considered a "new" bike warranty. I plan on getting it on my 2012 as well.

Never lend a friend your Pacific Coast. Unless you like scratches and want a beer annuity
Z50Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #42
ewbutler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Warranty Insurance

MJ,

I paid $1,500. but I believe that there's some room for negotiation in there. I know that had I bought the insurance when I bought the bike it would have been somewhere around $895.-the price increasing as the factory warranty ran out. When I bought mine I was heading out the door for a trip to Deadhorse via Hyder and just didn't feel like shopping or negotiating.
Good luck and Ride Safe

Wade
ewbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #43
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,514
A little late but saw this from progressive:

"We interrupt this newsletter...
To bring you this important news about Trip Interruption coverage!

With Trip Interruption coverage, you can ride with peace of mind knowing we'll pay for your transportation, food, and lodging costs if you get stranded on a road trip. And you can buy it for as little as $5 a year with your Roadside Assistance coverage.

You can add Trip Interruption (or add both Roadside Assistance and Trip Interruption) anytime --
just log in to your policy or call us."

Did you ask Sturgis Powersports about shipping suggestions? When the Ralley is in town a lot of people ship their bikes up there. Also pick delivery to a depot near you rather than delivery to your door.

BIG MILES BY HANK click here

EAGLERIDER

http://www.eaglerider.com/used-motorcycles.aspx

Shipping

EagleRider ships door-door throughout the nation or to your port for our international customers!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #44
p3chief
Start'n Over

Oddometer: 15
Bad day for my 2012 R1200GSA -- Need Shipping Advice

MF'r
Did you get her home?
I am home now and could go and pick her up for ya.
Da Chief!!!
p3chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #45
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The latest status-->on her way home now.....

Sturgis Motorsports completed the repairs and cleared all of the paperwork on Weds 10/10/12!!!

Per an earlier suggestion from another poster I emailed Keyboard to see if they would venture west of the Central Time.
And, as it turns out, they just so happen to have a truck going thru Sturgis yesterday 1012/12! The bike left there around 4:30 eastern. It will head to Keyboards hub in Kentucky and be put on a Florida truck. Once they get the final manifest they will give me a ballpark delivery date.

As for all of the trip interruption expenses that I incurred I have been asked to do the following;

Create/compile a complete list of all items and receipts and submit to the Roadside Assistance Trip Interruption Dept.
My normal benefit is $500. However, given the situation involving a bike only 10 months young and the lengthy delays to get all the replacement parts in there is a chance they will compensate me above the $500. We shall see. I am at $1600 out of pocket (including the shipping costs to get the bike back to Florida). If the Trip Interruption dept does not help with amount of my out of pocket over the normal $500, then BMW Motorrad Customer Service has indicated that they would like to try and ease the pain. No promises per se, but at least there is some dialog in a positive direction.

So far everyone I have dealt with is being very helpful in getting this resolved. First and foremost, is the Service Dept at Sturgis Motorsports. They really exemplify the positive customer service attributes that I have never quite had at "other" motorcycle manufacturers service departments. An outstanding shop for sure.

I will report back when the bike is home and what the final outcome is with BMW.