Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #46
BOOGIEMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
I have used 1-800-haul bikes to ship a ural with sidecar from AZ to NY and the price was good as the service.
Daytona bike week bucket list 2012
BOOGIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #47
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Touchdown Cape Canaveral

Keyboard Motorcycle Carriage delivered my GSA to me first thing this morning. They are an outstanding firm. Great communication, excellent care of the bike was given and the price was very reasonable. I would not hesitate to use them again in the future.

As for the final chapter of this SAGA--all or partial reimbursement for my trip interruption expenses--the jury is still out.
I submitted all of my expenses to the BMW Roadside Assistance Trip Interruption department last week and have yet to hear back from them on how much they will re-pay me. When I spoke to an actually customer service person several weeks ago she told me that it takes a week or so for them to review and process the claims.

But, the bike is home and now I get to break it in all over again!
mjfields_228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #48
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post
When I spoke to an actually customer service person several weeks ago she told me that it takes a week or so for them to review and process the claims.
I just went through that with my final drive failure. She was very nice and polite. Called me once a week for 3 or 4 weeks telling me it was in review. I felt positive then the last call was we reviewed your case and we are unable to help you. They must have some human factors formula that tells them to delay X weeks then politely deny the claim.

Glad you have it back and that there is no way the other side will fail.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #49
VozProto
Type A ADD w/ OCD

Oddometer: 181
Could look into a big ol' panel or cargo van rental from Enterprise perhaps.

If you have a costco membership they can be even cheaper that way.

That said these bid-sourcing websites can be great since they are people already driving across the country and have extra space in their rigs.

Just make sure you go with a reputable carrier with good reviews. It will likely be cheaper than a fly and haul yourself.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #50
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
I just went through that with my final drive failure. She was very nice and polite. Called me once a week for 3 or 4 weeks telling me it was in review. I felt positive then the last call was we reviewed your case and we are unable to help you. They must have some human factors formula that tells them to delay X weeks then politely deny the claim.

Glad you have it back and that there is no way the other side will fail.

Two perfectly reassuring statements there scooteraug!!!

And, there is absolutely no chance what so ever that the other side will leave me in a lurch!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #51
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,514
Quote:
Although BMW is completely rebuilding the top end of the right side of my engine, I will be seeking authorization to have the left side valve springs replaced--under warranty—even though there is no failure present at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Not a chance. One valve spring failure in thousands is not reason to condemn the other thousands.....And there is no evidence offered by you (not qualified) or the service center (no reason to even look into the other side) to get a positive response from BMW.
Quote:
Two perfectly reassuring statements there scooteraug!!!

And, there is absolutely no chance what so ever that the other side will leave me in a lurch!

Sorry I wasn't trying to be Debi Downer.

Just recalling other parts of the thread. Happy ending, you got your bike back and hopefully she runs like a champ.
223,000 miles to go.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #52
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Roadside Assistance Trip Interruption Status

I got a $500 check in the mail today. Better than a stick in the eye but not quite the amount that I was hoping for.

Called BMW Motorrad Customer Service (they indicated a desire to attempt to take some of the pain away if the Roadside Assistance program did not reimburse me all of my out of pocket) and left a message with the person I have been speaking with. They are in New Jersey, I believe, so no telling if the person is at work today or what the office status is due to Sandy's wrath.

On another good note, I have already put on 750 miles on my wide ass GSA since its return and its running beautifully.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #53
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
glad to hear that the bike made it home and that BMW atleast helped a little. would be cool if they came through a bit more but even if they don't it's a chance we take when we travel.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #54
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
I went back and re-read the original post. What BMW NA SHOULD have done was authorize the dealer making the repairs to remove a cylinder and head from a new bike - or had the distributor do it and overnight the parts. The OP should have been on his way in two or three days absolute tops. If BMW couldn't do that, they should have made all the shipping arrangements - "Would you like your repaired bike delivered to your home or would you like to pick it up from your local dealer sir?"
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #55
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I went back and re-read the original post. What BMW NA SHOULD have done was authorize the dealer making the repairs to remove a cylinder and head from a new bike - or had the distributor do it and overnight the parts.
I don't think they can do that since you're talking about disassembling a motor. The "new" bike at that point I do not believe can be sold under current laws (if I recall a very old thread on a different board)... but I'm not expert.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #56
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,438
Hope BMW provides some assistance to cover your out of pocket expenses. Give them a link to this thread, other GSA owners are watching and will want to know how they are going to be treated should something like this happen to them. Reputation, commitment to current owners builds brand loyalty and attracts perspective new owners.

I'm thinking Chasing Horizons and the trouble they had with one of their brand new KTMs, all well documented on youtube. I believe they ended up with a new bike. How much of that was a result of the very public fail of their product and how much is a part of their corporate culture I don't know. A little public praise for doing the right thing can provide huge returns in consumer confidence.

All the best.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #57
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
What BMW NA SHOULD have done was authorize the dealer making the repairs to remove a cylinder and head from a new bike - or had the distributor do it and overnight the parts.
And what would be your suggestion for the purchaser of that "new" bike when he posts on here after he finds out it was previously disassembled? Just saying.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #58
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
And what would be your suggestion for the purchaser of that "new" bike when he posts on here after he finds out it was previously disassembled? Just saying.
I bet there are a lot of bikes that get more than just uncrated and PDI'd and nobody is any the wiser. Unless the tech is an idiot, replacing the cylinder and head on a brand new bike should not cause any problems. No different to a bike that was subject to a pre-delivery recall. Anyhow, IMO, if the national distributor is not carrying relatively common parts, maybe they need to part-out a new bike to meet demand from a customer.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #59
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
I went back and re-read the original post. What BMW NA SHOULD have done was authorize the dealer making the repairs to remove a cylinder and head from a new bike - or had the distributor do it and overnight the parts. The OP should have been on his way in two or three days absolute tops. If BMW couldn't do that, they should have made all the shipping arrangements - "Would you like your repaired bike delivered to your home or would you like to pick it up from your local dealer sir?"
+1 When you don't know what to do as a dealer. Ask yourself what is the right thing to do?
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #60
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
A bit out of context

This has worried me as I am getting into GSAs now and about to buy a second in the UK. I tried Super 10s and they are great but not as good. I am heading for south america, is this a common problem with GSs.

Can someone point me to a thread about reliability.

thanks dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote