Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,316
it's pretty, but it's got a drum rear brake and inner tubes. That's a little too 1974 for me.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
it's pretty, but it's got a drum rear brake and inner tubes. That's a little too 1974 for me.

thats exactly right, except thats the point. a classic new bike.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
That looks like a perfect bike for general daily use.Kind of reminds me of an old Honda cb450 from the 70's.Our lust for technology has forced us into riding complicated fashion statements.I lke the riding position of these kind of bikes.A buddy had a Ducati equal to this(light weight.long seat) that was a nice ride but too expensive.I am getting old and I dont like having to adapt my body to a bike.I like the drum rear brake-no brake fluid to leak .I could throw the giant loop bag from my dual sport bike on it and do a week or 2 of riding.If gas ever got really expensive in rhe USA (above $10/gallon) Kawi could sell a few of these
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Yeah, tubes but that's the price we pay for the pretty spokes. Nothing wrong with a drum rear - it'll lock the rear tire and I can't remember when I overheated a rear brake. I do 90% of my stopping with the front.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Nothing wrong with a drum rear
I am not too fussed about it in principle either. But when I took W800 for a test ride I thought the brakes were the weakest part of this otherwise lovely package, and I'm not talking about the drum - I don't expect much from the rear brake anyway. It was the front that seemed very, very weak to me. It probably does the job in the end... but it had me worried.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #21
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
The brake shoes/pads probably just needed bedding in. They are certainly powerful enough for the bike and both are very progressive with excellent feel. You don't use the brakes much anyway as the engine braking is very effective, especially when playing in the twisties.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
The brake shoes/pads probably just needed bedding in. They are certainly powerful enough for the bike and both are very progressive with excellent feel. You don't use the brakes much anyway as the engine braking is very effective, especially when playing in the twisties.

more than likely someone comparing the brakes of the w800 to their r1, v-strom, 1200gs etc.

ever tried to use the front brake of a 79 guzzi v35? death grip the thing and it will work :)
Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #23
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,369
A very nice looking bike.
I would not mind an older 650.
We need more choices in the US.
All we get is 600+ pound sportsters, the little TU250 and the rare V7 classic.

I would even take a w500, it would be better (lighter) on dirt roads.

I used to run the K70's on my Daytona, not bad in the dirt really, but the tall soft sidewalls suck if you get a flat.
And the old bikes also came with rim locks...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,474
I've got a similar brake setup on my W650. I admit they were pretty weak when I first got it. I changed the pads immediately to EBC HH pads, and after they bedded in, the change was dramatic. The rear is still a little weak, but that's OK, not looking to lock it up back there anyway.

I saw the W800 when I was in Sweden a month or so ago, and it's a pretty bike. There is also a "limited edition" with a black and silver tank, and gold anodized wheels.

See this post for photos http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1147

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,088
Loop,
Very nice W800. I have the W650 here in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Just about the perfect bike for around here like you pictures of your W800 suggest for your area. I have the Avon Distanzias on my W and they are decent in the gravel.
From Motors

That's my 2001 W650 in the center. Kawasaki imported the W650 in the USA for 2000 and 2001 after a lot of people requested them but they did not sell in sufficient quantity.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #26
RickS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Nice bike!
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #27
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 471
The W series,would make a beautiful scrambler. (probably because of the whole Triumph knock-off thing they have going on)
argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #28
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
The W series,would make a beautiful scrambler. (probably because of the whole Triumph knock-off thing they have going on)

lets hope we see one. obviously, it would be fairly easy to do aftermarket, but it would be very cool as a factory option.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #29
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Nothing wrong with a drum rear - it'll lock the rear tire
That is what's wrong with it. Drums had a few problems, but the biggest is poor modulation. Yeah as you pointed out most of the braking is in front, who really cares about the drum in back? I do a little. It's not like having a drum in front though.

One of the biggest turn-off for me in custom bikes is when someone converts a disc in front bike to drum.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #30
Loop OP
Mechanicess from Mar

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
I am not too fussed about it in principle either. But when I took W800 for a test ride I thought the brakes were the weakest part of this otherwise lovely package, and I'm not talking about the drum - I don't expect much from the rear brake anyway. It was the front that seemed very, very weak to me. It probably does the job in the end... but it had me worried.
I'm guessing it was a low mileage one so, as someone has said, it'll take time to bed in as there's only a single front disk. I don't have a problem with the brakes personally, still running it in but it seems fine. I have always used the rear brake along with the front and in wet and/or icy conditions I use the rear a lot more, I suppose it depends on your riding. It's not a sportsbike. Glad you liked it otherwise though, the bike suits me perfectly.

Quote:
All part of the appeal to me. A properly set up drum rear is fine, and you can even adjust how strong or weak it is just by twiddling the adjuster with your fingers. My other bike that I use for trail riding has drums front and rear and I've never had any trouble not being able to stop. As for the tubes, well I'll be taking it off-road, as shown in the photos, so tubes are a good thing. I use to worry about taking my Bandit off-road as the tyres were hugely expensive. If I can just change an inner tube, I'll be more willing to ride the places I like to. I know tubed tyres deflate quicker and so on but like I've said, never had any problems when that has happened in the past either with my current trail bike or any of the dirt bikes I've owned which have all had tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
Surely you mean "continuation of their (Kawasaki/Meguro) own bikes that date back to the original K1 which they made under licence from BSA in the 60s as a close copy of the BSA A7"? The W650 was out a couple of years before the current Hinckley Bonneville was.

And anyway who cares about any of that "they copied them" stuff? I bought it because I liked it as soon as I got on it, everything else is a moot point. I can't stand bike snobbery, or any kind of snobbery actually.